Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Announcing ESOC Invitational May 2016

Post by momuuu »

Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 May
8 players, 150 dollar prizepool
streamed on twitch.tv/esoctv

The blizzard has subsided, the snow has melted. Flowers have appeared all over the place, however they do not hide the traces of war. Still clearly visible are the artifacts of H2Oā€™s domination, of his destruction of all competition. As the spring set in, seven burried man have risen from their graves, have risen to challenge Manklā€™s throne.

Weā€™re happy to announce the first ESOC Invitational! During the weekend of 28 and 29 May, eight of the best players will fight over the prize pool of 150$. These eight players will face eachother in a single elimination bracket. The invited players are: _H2O, Diarouga, Mitoe, PrinceofKabul, Mongo10, Marechal_Rondon, Garja and Ramex12. Theyā€™re seeded as shown in the bracket below.

With all these great names, itā€™s hard to predict who is going to do well, who is going to win. The clear favorite this tournament has to be H2O. His achievements in the past give us no other choice but to bombard him with the favorite role in any tournament he participates in. His play during the winter tournament was nothing short of impressive and he has always shown great play in other tournaments. He never seemed invincible however, dropping quite a few games throughout the winter tournament. The question Will our grand ex-dictator be able to defend his throne?

Mitoe, the new leader and commander of ESOC, was one of the first to demonstrate the mortal side of H2O. Winning the first two games against him in the winter tournament, he completely fell apart and lost the next four games in a row. A composed and in shape Mitoe can beat everyone and is definitely one of the prime candidates to win this tournament.

Just like Mitoe, Diarouga was eliminated by H2O last tournament. Just like Mitoe, he showed us that Mankle certainly isnā€™t invincible. He managed to win the first game and was very close to beating H2O in the other games. Diarouga is a player that has mastered many civs, and tends to play rather standard but stylistically. Relying on strategical knowledge and good build orders, rather than great micro, he is one of my favorite players to watch play. When he plays I feel like itā€™s a prime chance to learn things that I didnā€™t know before. Just like Mitoe, Diarouga is able to beat almost anybody, and can thus be written down as another favorite.

Prince is a relatively underrated player. He had to face Samwise in the summer tournament and H2O in the winter tournament relatively early. He gave both a tough time but wasnā€™t able to win those series. So far he hasnā€™t really been able to show his skill in a tournament, but I assure you that he is certainly capable of winning this invitational.

Mongo is an interesting player. Heā€™s especially known for his china play, and I remember him beating the great Samwise in a china mirror lost summer (for sake of hype, I shall ignore the mam laming that went along with that victory). Last tournament he was on quite a roll until he was finally slain by the lag and walls of kynesie. Mongo is a pretty unorthodox player, using strats that arenā€™t the most standard way to play. Heā€™s no Boneng, but he does mix standard play with strategies that are slightly off. His China is top notch, and with his unpredictability he might just do very well.

Words fail to describe Garja. Hailed by many, Zoi in particular, as the true God, has already delivered us his ways through his legendary Aztec guide (which he is considering to officially sell). Garjaā€™s style is quite interesting too, relying quite a bit on his micro while stubbornly testing strats dispite multiple losses. Once Garja really gets in the flow, his micro is almost as great as H2Oā€™s micro. However, Garja can also have severe off days. This unpredictability makes me particulary excited for his games, as I believe he might just surpise us.

Ramex is the only player invited that isnā€™t originally a 1v1 player. Being a close friend of Veni, it is no surprise that Ramex spends most of his time playing teamgames. Like many team players, his approach to 1v1 games is rather unique, and some of the decisions he makes are usually very interesting. Team players are unpredictable, but can reach amazing heights if they practise enough. How much Ramex has been training shall determine if he can follow in Veniā€™s footsteps by doing really well in a 1v1 tournament.

Marechal is possibly the underdog of this tournament. He seems to thrive in an underdog role, beating Aizamk in the winter tournaments to the surprise of almost everyone. Since the winter tournament, Marechal has been doing better than he has before, reaching his all time ELO high on his alternate account leonardo_sep. As history has shown, the underdog role doesnā€™t really mean too much. Marechal might be able to surprise us once again this invitational.

All these games will be streamed on twitch.tv/esoctv . Weā€™ve recently gotten permanent quality options, which should be good news for all of those that experienced buffering in the past. The precise schedule of the games will be announced later next week, together with an in depth preview of the match ups. In the case that you might miss it, thereā€™s no need to worry as all games will be uploaded to our YouTube. To stay up to date with news about this tournament or other AoE related developments, follow the the ESOC Twitter.

Feel free to share your predictions and winner here!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Re: Announcing ESOC Invitational May 2016

Post by momuuu »

Who do you guys think will win it? I've got my money on prince upsetting everyone here.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Is rondon really Ā«theĀ» underdog?
I'd say it's rather ramex who's a team player and he's quite rusty atm.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

It's gonna be awesome! Can't wait until it starts!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Is rondon really Ā«theĀ» underdog?
considering that Rondon is consistently losing to captains and majors I'm surprised he was even invited......
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

why did you invite rondon. A player that concecedes after 1 game in a quarterfinal match has no place in an invitational. Also you chose garja over boneng some serious seeding bias here........
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

sounds great! those small events are a pretty good idea
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Should be aiz kynisie and boneng over rondon ramex and garja imo
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

gibson wrote:
considering that Rondon is consistently losing to captains and majors I'm surprised he was even invited......

haha yea im rather convinced i could beat him in a bo5 without any practice
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

lordraphael wrote:why did you invite rondon. A player that concecedes after 1 game in a quarterfinal match has no place in an invitational. Also you chose garja over boneng some serious seeding bias here........

Please realize that it isn't very easy to arrange players that are willing to play. Boneng was invited, but if you don't respond, then you will be replaced. Easy as it is.

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lordraphael wrote:
gibson wrote:

haha yea im rather convinced i could beat him in a bo5 without any practice

You could win him 95% of games with no practice imo
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Many players were invited and either said no or didn't respond. All invites were based on finishes from the previous ASC tournaments. If you have a problem with invites, you can send me a PM. Future events will have a clear way to qualify but for this event we used the most fair way possible.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor

Post by MCJim »

Yeah, feel free to discuss as much as you want. But it won't change anything about the current seedings as they are based on past tourney finishes.

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Kynesie not being invited is also a bias :P
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

He was. He never responded.
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Before people start assuming on who was invited. All top 8 were invited from the last tournament. Based on non responses or declines the previous champions were invited (both declined). The other spots were filled by on cumulative results of the ASC events. Some of the top point getters there declined or aren't active so we worked down the list.
mad cuz bad
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Can people be glad that there actually is an invitational instead of trashing the players who are going to play?

#Christfuck
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

n0eL wrote:Before people start assuming on who was invited. All top 8 were invited from the last tournament. Based on non responses or declines the previous champions were invited (both declined). The other spots were filled by on cumulative results of the ASC events. Some of the top point getters there declined or aren't active so we worked down the list.

i wasnt
Edit: i was invited :) I just never checked my message box on ESOC :O
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I wasnt as directly involved in sending the invites but Im pretty sure over 30 players have been invited. Blame the players declining rather than the organization.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:I wasnt as directly involved in sending the invites but Im pretty sure over 30 players have been invited. Blame the players declining rather than the organization.
thank you for the clarification :)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

All invites also had clear tangible argumentation because we were aware that people might get salty over it. Player availability was taken into account in the cases that they gave us dates that they were unavailable. It takes a lot of commitment to do an entire invitational for one weekend and not everybody had the time.

That being said, lets focus on how good the line up still is.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I'm excited for this tournament! @sebnan12 I'll behave now.

Regarding invitations, you can never satisfy everyone obviously. Many were invited, few responded. Thanks to those who did respond and committed to playing in this invitational! If you feel like it's absolutely unacceptable that x wasn't invited feel free to PM me and we'll look into it for any potential future invitationals.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Jerom wrote:That being said, lets focus on how good the line up still is.

It's very good. I think ramex is very underrated, he did very good in the tournament and on smackdown.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

n0eL wrote:He was. He never responded.

Haters will hate
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

He probably didn't get your message then.