Announcing ESOC Invitational May 2016

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: Announcing ESOC Invitational May 2016

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

So much whining. Learn to appreciate something.

Besides, are you implying Aiz can win vs ryan?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:So much whining. Learn to appreciate something.

he has a better shot than half the participants imo
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

gibson wrote:

Yet he didn't finish high enough in order to be invited. I don't care if he threw the games; we used this system in order to prevent whining about the invitations and yet you people still manage to whine. Wonderful.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I have faith in Zuta's boy Ron. I think he will be prepared and that's really what tournament play is about. Can't judge anyone on quick search games with re maps.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think we could organize a free ESOC lotery with a prizepool of 1 million dollars and people would still complain tbh.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

There's a saying, you could buy someone a ticket to paradise and they would complain you didn't send them first class.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well anything that isn't first class is pretty shitty if you're anywhere near tall. Paradise seems pretty far from this place so I can understand the complaints.
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
gibson wrote:

Yet he didn't finish high enough in order to be invited. I don't care if he threw the games; we used this system in order to prevent whining about the invitations and yet you people still manage to whine. Wonderful.

People are whining because this attitude is wrong for many reasons like 1) lot has changed between last tourney and now. Skill levels of players have changed etc.. 2) Your competitions are run by donations from members here and weather you like it or not you are suppose to give viewers what they want. This is not Official WCG tournament where best has to win, this is crowdfunded tournament for people's entertainment, if you don't give these people who make these tournaments happen what they want you won't have a tournament, so if they want aiz u are suppose to give them aiz weather he is good or not, end of discussion
Jerom wrote: Garja is a better player than most of us here
Jerom wrote:Please don't bump old threads, especially when all you have to say is "lol"
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@hunter you are more than welcome to sponsor a tournament and pick all the players. we will run it for you.
mad cuz bad
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks guys for sponsoring/organizing it. Should be an exciting weekend!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Jerom wrote:I think we could organize a free ESOC lotery with a prizepool of 1 million dollars and people would still complain tbh.

If you're going to host an invitational, people are going to whine on principle, since it's an invite after all. It's not open, it's not inclusive, so there's little wonder people are going to whine about about who didn't get in, since there are plenty of people who would "deserve" a slot. This is a bit like the treaty invitational in that regard.

The "community content" argument is also a little shitty imo. Basically it's just easier to run an invite instead of taking the time and energy to run a full-blown open event.

Not sure why anyone is surprised that there is whining at all. Either way, ESOC would do well to stop being so damn defensive every time they face criticism. :P

Still though, putting that aside, the line-up is solid enough and I'm sure that it's going to be a fun event. I'll look forward to it.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm curious about the actual format.

Is it Bo5, Bo5, Bo7 ?

What are the civ rules and map pools? That's super important.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:
Jerom wrote:I think we could organize a free ESOC lotery with a prizepool of 1 million dollars and people would still complain tbh.

If you're going to host an invitational, people are going to whine on principle, since it's an invite after all. It's not open, it's not inclusive, so there's little wonder people are going to whine about about who didn't get in, since there are plenty of people who would "deserve" a slot. This is a bit like the treaty invitational in that regard.

The "community content" argument is also a little shitty imo. Basically it's just easier to run an invite instead of taking the time and energy to run a full-blown open event.

Not sure why anyone is surprised that there is whining at all. Either way, ESOC would do well to stop being so damn defensive every time they face criticism. :P

Still though, putting that aside, the line-up is solid enough and I'm sure that it's going to be a fun event. I'll look forward to it.

Im not even being super defensive. Im wondering why Im putting effort in.

And to be honest with you, I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Adam and 91 shouldve learned ppl something because at this rate I am starting to be concerned about the future.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

gibson wrote:
lordraphael wrote:
Show hidden quotes

haha yea im rather convinced i could beat him in a bo5 without any practice

You could win him 95% of games with no practice imo

Kiss ass
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

lordraphael wrote:
gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Is rondon really «the» underdog?
I'd say it's rather ramex who's a team player and he's quite rusty atm.
considering that Rondon is consistently losing to captains and majors I'm surprised he was even invited......

haha yea im rather convinced i could beat him in a bo5 without any practice

but why is he playing and not u?
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

n0eL wrote:@hunter you are more than welcome to sponsor a tournament and pick all the players. we will run it for you.
urm? I don't get where you are getting with that exactly
Jerom wrote:Please don't bump old threads, especially when all you have to say is "lol"
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@hunter if you have an issue with how the players were selected and want to pick out who you think should be in the 8 then fund a whole tournament and you can select them.
mad cuz bad
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

n0eL wrote:@hunter if you have an issue with how the players were selected and want to pick out who you think should be in the 8 then fund a whole tournament and you can select them.

I don't have issue with how players nor with who were selected, please read again my post in what respect it was said, don't say something on half knowledge
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

Where are lord and irish??
Pizza, spaghetti, maccheroni, mandolino e tua mamma :flowers:
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

we need the garja wining.. start the era of the garjaaa!!!
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Post by fungu »

Jerom wrote:
iNcog wrote:

Im not even being super defensive. Im wondering why Im putting effort in.

And to be honest with you, I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Adam and 91 shouldve learned ppl something because at this rate I am starting to be concerned about the future.

Thanks for putting together this tournament! High level Aoe3 is very entertaining to watch.

Maybe if you, the ESOC staff, made your decision making process more open you would face less whining. You could for example publish a list of all those invited together with the reasoning behind this process. Before publishing the brackets I mean.
Or maybe even ask the community who they want to see in the tournament. Maybe a thread where the community and staff could discuss on who to invite and why. A vote?

The players might end up being the same either way, but with less whining because the community hasn't been kept out of the loop.

Anyway, looking forward to the tournament. :flowers:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

A vote is the most biased option to pick the players because you ll choose who you like, not who's the best (ie who deserves it the most).
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

@fungu Thanks your suggestions. Actually, we are planning for the next events like this to have a clear qualification process in place. Unfortunately, some things need to be finished prior to that and everyone is quite busy. So for this event, we did the best we could.

Also, the voting idea could work, however there is some concern given the issues with the Smackdown Battle Royale event. We do have some plans for a weekly or biweekly event that will be based directly on community input, hopefully more to come on that soon.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I think it was hard enough as is to get eight players in the first place. People are slightly underestimating that aspect. I'm personally both content with and excited about the line-up. Some top contendors and overall a very interesting line up to me. As a first invitational format it's just trying to get the hang of how to organise it smoothly and then expand from that. It's not like we were born as experienced event organizers, it takes some time to get the hang of it. Maybe smaller tournament/invitational hybrids with a few invited player and then a rather rapid open bracket could be interesting. That's something I've been wanting to work out for a while, but I can't quite grasp the possible practical limitations of it yet.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

r4go wrote:Where are lord and irish??

They didn't respond or didn't want to play. One of the first we asked iirc.