Adding additional Map-Sets

Which maps should be in "ESOC Competitive Maps" according to "7"?

ESOC Adirondacks
7%
ESOC Arizona
5%
ESOC Arkansas
7%
ESOC Baja California
5%
ESOC Colorado
4%
ESOC Florida
6%
ESOC Fertile Crescent
4%
ESOC Great Basin
3%
ESOC High plains
6%
ESOC Herald Island
4%
ESOC Hudson Bay
7%
ESOC Iowa
2%
ESOC Jebel Musa
3%
ESOC Kamchatka
7%
ESOC Klondike
2%
ESOC Manchac
3%
ESOC Manchuria
7%
ESOC Malaysia
4%
ESOC Mendocino
5%
ESOC Tassili
2%
ESOC Tibet
3%
ESOC Wadmalaw
3%

Total votes: 303

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: Adding additional Map-Sets

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:
zoom wrote:
Garja wrote:I disagree. I don't consider any of that a given. Again, it's very simple: If players want to play on a map-set, they will. This is no reason to anyone their map-set of choice. Apart from being speculation, it is a poor argument. Again, however, none of that even matters:

It is given and it happens everyday. And it is a great argument because it highlights a core problem.
And no it's not that simple. If players want to play a map set they can't because with multiple standard map sets there will be discussion on which should be used.

How is it a problem when already, anyone can pick any map and play rated on it, let alone construct any map-set at all and play rated on it without any issue whatsoever?

It happens already in fact to argue if one map is competitive or not. Map-sets are there also so that one cannot cherry pick a map with specific charateristic to favor his civ.

Considering the above facts, it is an absolute non-argument! Arguing with you involves having one's arguments constantly ignored. It's tiresome, to say the least. Please acknowledge counter-arguments instead of pretending that they don't exist.

It's you ignoring my arguments, not the opposite.

zoom wrote:Whether everyone agrees with the patch's balancing approach – very much a matter of opinion – is irrelevant, because the approach itself is a fact. It is counter-productive and downright stupid not to have a map-set consistent with it. Why in the world are you so hell-bent on making the patch worse??

Again and again; post after post, you keep ignoring facts. Please stop!

The approach itself is a fact, my ass. If that's the direction taken the game will be ruined and I won't let it happen.
I'm hell-bent in making the patch better.
I disagree. It is speculation on your part, definitely not a given, and resultingly definitely not a good argument. What are you talking about? It's very simple; players can cherry pick both the map and the civilization and play rated on it. If anything, that is even less diverse than the given map-set. Again, you so aptly fail to understand my point. Cherry picking a map, by your logic, is worse than cherry picking a map-set, because there is absolutely zero diversity.

What argument of yours am I ignoring, as you claim while continuing to blind-fold yourself from the logic I present and refuse to respond to it. At least I respond with logic to your logic instead of bullshitting and ignoring it.

According to the project lead it is in fact the direction taken for years and the game doesn't seem ruined. I've no reason to distrust that either, observing evidence.

People using the patch would be more happy if popular map-sets exist. The only thing you are doing is keeping patch UE sub-optimal for no good reason. If anything this thread is making that ever more evident. It's moronic and pathetic, both. You are making others less happy because you can't tolerate that they disagree with you. How is that improving the patch?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

I for one would be unhappy.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

@zoom

It's not speculation, it is observed that players agree to play on ESOC map set to solve the map picking problem. That is on top, of course, of the randomization provided, which is a generally desired feature for sheer map diversity.
If one player picks a specific map it is very likely that less players will join his game (observed on the field). And it is more likely that there will be discussion on why that map is being chosen. Again nothing new, stuff already observed on the field in first person and which is a given.
Cherry picking a map is probably worse than cherry picking a map-set, but the problem is the cherry picking. Providing one and only set from above solves the cherry picking problem, because player agree to accept randomization (no speculation, it is what happens in every game lobby).

You're ignoring, or rather refusing to aknowledge, the argument I just described.

I don't agree wih the project lead.

People using the patch would be more happy if popular map-sets exist. The only thing you are doing is keeping patch UE sub-optimal for no good reason. If anything this thread is making that ever more evident. It's moronic and pathetic, both. You are making others less happy because you can't tolerate that they disagree with you. How is that improving the patch?

See, that's speculation, assuming that more is better. People are very much better off with one single Standard map set if that favors coordination, rather than having multiple sets and having trouble picking one because of different preferences.
If anything is going to provide a sub-optimal patch is your idea to come with multiple sets with overlapping purpose.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

So I will try to excavate the logic in your posts and then attempt to respond to it garja. To begin with, I will use this post below to apply any sort of structure to your otherwise very unstructered post, and will be forced to do this with a small amount of liberty as your arguments are hardly coherent to me otherwise.
Garja wrote:Your point is basically "can't buff some civs on no TP because the buff will then make them too good on TP". You provide an example and then conclude that balance can't be achieved on both type of map, at least not standardizing civs.

I reply confuting the general statement and, specifically, pointing out that the German example isn't particularly helpful for your argument.

You will in some section confute the general statement and then in another section go into the details about the German example. Lets start to find the general statement I make first:

momuuu wrote:It would be very hard to actually balance for both TP and non-TP maps:
Reaching perfect balance where every match up is 50/50 is basically impossible without standardizing the civs. So then every civ will have some strats that work in different match ups with different winrates (lets assume between 40% and 60%).

This would be defined as the most general form of my statement. The statement that reaching balance where every match up is 50/50 is basically impossible without standardizing the civs could be taken as an axiom. It should be extremely obvious why this is true, so I did not provide any argumentation for it as that seemed unnecessary. Then, the next statement is also axiomatic in nature: Every civ will have some strats that work in different match ups with different winrates. I then make the assumption, just as an simple example to make the point more clear, that these winrates are between 40% and 60%. This is a simplification to make the point more clear and I clearly imply this does not necessarily mean it's factually true. My most general point is a set of very obvious axioms and an assumption to make the following point more clear. Nowhere in your post are these points addressed and nowhere is any other statement that is not an example. I fail to see where you even 'confute the general statement'. But oh well, logical structure isn't necessary to be right I suppose.

Let's then move on to the section where I use an example to make a point and you supposedly point out it isn't particularly helpful. The corresponding section of my post would be this:

momuuu wrote:A good example would be germany; they'd have those winrates against all civs doing uhlan semi FF (which is basically their only viable strat).

Let's try to examine the logical structure of this post more clearly. First, there is this statement: Germany would have balanced winrates (previously defined as winrates between 40-60%) against all civs doing uhlan semi FF. This would obviously again be a simplification of the truth for the sake of the argument. The point being that Germany clearly doesn't have 50-50% winrates against every civ (this I will not prove, but I think is obvious enough to not require elaborate proof or discussion). I then claim that Germany should basically always do an Uhlan FF as it is by far their best strategy in every match up. It is again a simplification, but it is useful to get the general point across. It seems quite clear that all of this is an example.

You confute this example by saying
Garja wrote:Aside from the (I assume intended) simplification of semi FF being the only viable strat this reasoning is still not correct.

Apperantly you did not understand that it is a general example used to guide the point I'm trying to get across. You nitpick on a little detail, but in no way will this suffice to refute the underlying logic. I would agree that it possibly isn't the only viable strategy, but again I insist on using this approach as a simplification. The entire example is used to get a point across. I could omit the example, but then it just becomes more confusing what I'm trying to say. I think it is important for you to read slowly what I'm trying to say without looking and focussing so much on the details, as if those are a crucial part of the argument when they clearly are not.

Lets look a little more at my point:
momuuu wrote:That strat of course is much weaker without a trading post. So then, for no TP maps, we would need to buff some german style that doesn't use a TP. That'd probably be the xbow pike rush then.

I then proceed to say the uhlan semi FF is of course much weaker without a trading post, which seems like an obvious statement. The thing we are discussing is balancing for both TP and no TP maps, so I proceed to discuss how Germany would need a buff on no TP maps. I don't clearly explain why they need a buff on no TP maps because it seemed very obvious to me. But for clarity: The underlying assumption (again, a simplified example here, don't nitpick on the details) is that germany is balanced on TP maps, that the uhlan semi FF is their only viable strat, which is much worse on no TP maps, so they are not balanced on no TP maps. This is an example; the statement could be made generic: Some civ is using a strategy that relies on a TP and mostly uses that strategy in their match ups. It is nowhere near as good as it is on other maps, so they are too weak on no TP maps. Note also that the entire line of presented logic holds true if Uhlan semi FF is by far the most used strategy for germany. It doesn't have to be the exclusively viable strategy, I just assumed this to make the argument more clear.

You proceed to respond with this:
Garja wrote:First of all it's important to note that xbow pike and ulhan semi FF are mutually exsclusive. This means if you go for one can't really turn it in the other with the same power as if the latter was employed from the start.
Aside from that, the main flaw in the reasoning is to assume that a TP makes a certain strategy necessarily better without drawbacks. Taking a TP as Germans is certainly a good idea in general. However it drains some resources from the build that inevitably penalize the rush. For this reason the xbow/pike build (which by the way is already viable for example on Adirondacks) has to be turned into a timing rather than a rush. This means that, while the overall build will be stronger its nature will be changed and if rush was needed to beat a certain civ then the addition of the TP will at least come with some drawbacks.

I am confused by this. Not only do you fail to realize there is a simplification being used for the sake of clarity, the way you respond to it is simple nonsensical. Nowhere in my post can I be found stating that xbow pike and uhlan semi FF are mutually exclusive, or that that is important. I will get to where you might get that idea from in a second. First, lets look at my 'main flaw': Apperantly, I think that the uhlan semi FF is weaker without a TP. You are basically saying that Germany's Uhlan semi FF is sometimes better without taking a TP. This statement is ridiculous; I didn't try to prove that the uhlan semi FF is weaker without a TP because it is as trivial as something can be. Your reasoning for this can be rephrased as: "sometimes it's better to not take a TP for a certain strategy because it might make a rush weaker". What's absolutely confusing about this is that the uhlan semi FF is never a rush, in no scenario, and thus your argument doesn't at all apply to what I wrote down. You again nitpick on a detail, xbow pike rush being apperantly already viable on adirondacks (I think generally any good player would mark this as nonsense, but it doesn't even matter for the point at all as I already explained).

Your last point doesn't really apply to anything at all. I took an example of buffing xbow/pike as a strategy that is TP independent. It was an example, I could have taken doppelsoldners aswell, or the 5 uhlan shipment of the 9 xbow shipment or anything exclusive to german colonial. I could have been less specific and just said: buff germany's colonial in general without buffing their uhlan semi FF. It's a fucking example, you don't need to focus on the details. You just need to try to use logic to follow the general point.

Speaking about the general point, you didn't address my most generic statement and fail to adress the conclusion I draw from using a few examples. Lets look at the rest of my post. First note that so far you've basically only nitpicked on three lines that I wrote down, which are basically an example I used to make things more clear. My post could be written more generically, and then be guided by more specific examples if necessary, and the underlying logic would still hold true. So far, you have thus confuted nothing I said except for things that were clearly used as a hypothetical example to clarify the point. So far, you have not confuted my points like you said you have. Lets move on with the last bit of my post:

momuuu wrote:So then xbow pike becomes a competitive strat (winrates between 40% and 60% aswell).
The problem is that xbow pike will still be reasonably viable on the TP maps: The chances are very big however that xbow pike turns out to be a 50-60% winrate strategy in match ups where the uhlan semi FF is a 40-50% match up. So then, by having two distinct viable strategies, the added flexibility will make a civ stronger still on TP maps than on no TP maps. The result is that any civ that has a very strong TP strategy is very likely going to be stronger on TP maps than on no TP maps just because of the added flexibility (if there is a good no TP strategy at all, otherwise they're obviously also better on TP maps). I don't see how this can reliably be worked around, and given that the balance team is already struggling to get a grasp on balance as is, I think they should just ignore no TP maps entirely.

Take xbow pike as an example here again, it might aswell be replaced with a generic germany playstyle that is different from the strats that can use trading posts. Here is the simple logic that is provided here in the form of an example: When a civilization has an option that has 40-60% winrates in all match ups that doesn't require a trading post, and also has an option that has 40-60% winrates in all match ups that does require a trading post, then on TP maps that civilization clearly has the choice between two strategies. There are match ups where the no TP strategy is better than the TP strategy and match ups where the TP strategy is better than the no TP strategy. Combine these two strategies, and the average winrate will obviously be higher, as you'll be taking the best possible winrate of those strats. The conclusion is then that balancing a civilization on no TP maps with a no TP strat will lead to that civilization being overpowered on TP maps if they have a TP strategy that is in isolation balanced too. To actually balance for no TP maps and TP maps, you will have to nerf TP strategies to the point where they are a non factor. That is the point I make, and that is never adressed by you. Instead you nitpick on details.

To round up your nitpicking, in which you completely ignore my actual point, you follow up with this:
The second inaccuracy of this reasoning is inherent to the example itself. Boosting xbow/pike most likely means just buffing xbows base damage (better than improving the multiplier vs HI). A xbow buff is something desirable in general because xbow unit is simply mediocre at the moment compared to all other RI units in colonial. So there is really no danger to make it overperforming on TP maps. On the other hand a simple buff like that can help a lot overall and specifically when Germans can't age up quickly.

This is the most confusing argument of the bunch. A generic example that has nothing to do with buffing xbows or pikes is again being nitpicked on. You use a made up fact that buffing xbows is something desirable in general. This comes out of nowhere, and I don't see how this is supported by any evidence provided by you in the post. To stay in your style, I will counter by saying that you are wrong because unicorns find it true that you are wrong. I also made up a statement out of nowhere and have provided no evidence for it, but in your world that apperantly suffices as 'argument', so here you go.

Nowhere in your point to you confute the actual logic. You just nitpick a bit and the largest part of your post is a typical garjument: some made up thing stated as if it is a fact, with no evidence provided for it. The unicorns disapprove garja. You didn't prove anything I said wrong; you hardly even responded to it. I would like to see you actually respond to the logic in my post, and actually make serious arguments that aren't you nitpicking something I used as a simplified example.

PS.: Sorry for readers that my post hasn't been very coherent. Garja's arguments were very incoherent with regards to the post I made. Garja does this a lot, he picks out some stupid details, talks about those without actually responding to your actual post and then acts as if he has shown you are wrong. I could respond to these in isolation, but then garja hijacks the discussion away from the point brought up and into the territory of senseless nitpicking and garjuing. I instead chose to try and put Garja's post in the perspective of actually proving me wrong, and then showing that he didn't even come close to proving me wrong. My apoligies for the incoherence, but there is no way to coherently discuss with garja unfortunately.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

holy shit
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

umeu wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes
What difference does it make whether players rehost until they achieve the map-set's purpose, or pick a map, or make their own map-set, or we actually provide what players want as a feature. Why are you trying and failing—both miserably—to ruin patch users' experience? Am I missing something?? Is there something wrong with you??? Again, this is beyond ridiculous.

just go home zoom... u have really nothing useful to say. you only make empty statements or else-wise parrot other people who do have something useful to say.
"... he said, with the least useful post in the entire thread". Expecting you to answer the question on which your entire argument rests was naive of me. After all, telling me to go home better represents your arrogance and position in this argument, alike.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

yemshi wrote:I for one would be unhappy.
As far as exceptions go, that's fair enough. Logically the existance of the map-pools that players want to use is inherently popular, though.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

zoom wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

just go home zoom... u have really nothing useful to say. you only make empty statements or else-wise parrot other people who do have something useful to say.
"... he said, with the least useful post in the entire thread". Expecting you to answer the question on which your entire argument rests was naive of me. After all, telling me to go home better represents your arrogance and position in this argument, alike.

you werent asking me anything, so why would i answer? i am not garja or his keeper.

as a rule I wouldn't argue about anything of substance with a nutcase who thinks that fluffy words and calling goodspeed "project lead" as if you are running a multimillion dollar event, will impress people into believing he's right. You are just a puppy trodding behind his master, without any views of your own. Yuck.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

What unsubstantiated crap. Zoi has his own views alright. We don't agree about everything, not by a long shot. He's also been extremely helpful because of his vast knowledge of the game, insightful suggestions and constructive feedback. That's more than I can say about any other (former) ep team member.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

momuuu wrote:This would be defined as the most general form of my statement. The statement that reaching balance where every match up is 50/50 is basically impossible without standardizing the civs could be taken as an axiom. It should be extremely obvious why this is true, so I did not provide any argumentation for it as that seemed unnecessary. Then, the next statement is also axiomatic in nature: Every civ will have some strats that work in different match ups with different winrates. I then make the assumption, just as an simple example to make the point more clear, that these winrates are between 40% and 60%. This is a simplification to make the point more clear and I clearly imply this does not necessarily mean it's factually true.

Ok, there is no need for this clarification. I agree on that and it was obviously very clear.

My most general point is a set of very obvious axioms and an assumption to make the following point more clear. Nowhere in your post are these points addressed and nowhere is any other statement that is not an example. I fail to see where you even 'confute the general statement'. But oh well, logical structure isn't necessary to be right I suppose.

Err..no. The following points don't adhere with the axiom. The main flaw is that while German win rate could be well approximated between 40% and 60%, this axiom is only true if the whole map pool is considered. On TP only maps is rather agreeable that German win rate is, on average, between 50% and 60%. In order to have their whole MU pool between 40% and 60% you need to consider also no TP maps.
Please note this is still a simplification because ignores all the other map features that contribute to one civ's win rate over the various MUs.

Let's then move on to the section where I use an example to make a point and you supposedly point out it isn't particularly helpful. The corresponding section of my post would be this:
A good example would be germany; they'd have those winrates against all civs doing uhlan semi FF (which is basically their only viable strat).

Let's try to examine the logical structure of this post more clearly. First, there is this statement: Germany would have balanced winrates (previously defined as winrates between 40-60%) against all civs doing uhlan semi FF. This would obviously again be a simplification of the truth for the sake of the argument. The point being that Germany clearly doesn't have 50-50% winrates against every civ (this I will not prove, but I think is obvious enough to not require elaborate proof or discussion). I then claim that Germany should basically always do an Uhlan FF as it is by far their best strategy in every match up. It is again a simplification, but it is useful to get the general point across. It seems quite clear that all of this is an example.

Again it's very important to point out, for the overall assesment of the argument, that the balanced winrates statement is only true if all Competitive maps are taken into account. Otherwise there already a flaw in the whole reasoning.

Lets look a little more at my point:

That strat of course is much weaker without a trading post. So then, for no TP maps, we would need to buff some german style that doesn't use a TP. That'd probably be the xbow pike rush then.
I then proceed to say the uhlan semi FF is of course much weaker without a trading post, which seems like an obvious statement. The thing we are discussing is balancing for both TP and no TP maps, so I proceed to discuss how Germany would need a buff on no TP maps. I don't clearly explain why they need a buff on no TP maps because it seemed very obvious to me. But for clarity: The underlying assumption (again, a simplified example here, don't nitpick on the details) is that germany is balanced on TP maps, that the uhlan semi FF is their only viable strat, which is much worse on no TP maps, so they are not balanced on no TP maps. This is an example; the statement could be made generic: Some civ is using a strategy that relies on a TP and mostly uses that strategy in their match ups. It is nowhere near as good as it is on other maps, so they are too weak on no TP maps. Note also that the entire line of presented logic holds true if Uhlan semi FF is by far the most used strategy for germany. It doesn't have to be the exclusively viable strategy, I just assumed this to make the argument more clear.

Again, the underlying assumption is flawed. Even with all nerfs and counternerfs in place, Germans are still not balanced on TP maps. Failing to aknowledge this just invalidaes the whole argument.

I am confused by this. Not only do you fail to realize there is a simplification being used for the sake of clarity, the way you respond to it is simple nonsensical. Nowhere in my post can I be found stating that xbow pike and uhlan semi FF are mutually exclusive, or that that is important. I will get to where you might get that idea from in a second. First, lets look at my 'main flaw': Apperantly, I think that the uhlan semi FF is weaker without a TP. You are basically saying that Germany's Uhlan semi FF is sometimes better without taking a TP. This statement is ridiculous; I didn't try to prove that the uhlan semi FF is weaker without a TP because it is as trivial as something can be. Your reasoning for this can be rephrased as: "sometimes it's better to not take a TP for a certain strategy because it might make a rush weaker". What's absolutely confusing about this is that the uhlan semi FF is never a rush, in no scenario, and thus your argument doesn't at all apply to what I wrote down. You again nitpick on a detail, xbow pike rush being apperantly already viable on adirondacks (I think generally any good player would mark this as nonsense, but it doesn't even matter for the point at all as I already explained).

I do totally realize it is a simplification, but it is a bad one. My answer has sense but you fail to understand it.
It is me pointing out that the two strats mutually exclusive. That's important. If you buff xbows you don't necessarily and automatically make Germans stronger on TP maps, because xbows are employed only on a xbow strat (optimal for no TP maps) but not on a ulhan semi FF (optimal for TP maps).
I never said Ulhan semi FF is better without a TP. That's simply you failing at reading compehension.
And again I don't know why you insist with the ulhan semi FF when I'm refering to a buffed xbow strat on a TP map. Such strat is indeed a rush and despite being still better with a TP rather than without most of times, sometimes can be more effective to save the 200w for the rush. More importantly tho, it is a second best choice, assuming with this that the TP ulhan semi will have a higher winrate distribution.
And as for the detail I provide about xbow/pike timing viable on Adirondacks (in mirror I should add), it is correct and you have no right to call it nonsense.

Your last point doesn't really apply to anything at all. I took an example of buffing xbow/pike as a strategy that is TP independent. It was an example, I could have taken doppelsoldners aswell, or the 5 uhlan shipment of the 9 xbow shipment or anything exclusive to german colonial. I could have been less specific and just said: buff germany's colonial in general without buffing their uhlan semi FF. It's a fucking example, you don't need to focus on the details. You just need to try to use logic to follow the general point.

Ye, except that not every general colonial buff is the same. Of course if you buff dopples even more then ye on TP it will overperform. But if you buff something that is very likely weak at the moment and that coincidentially is something that can improve no TP play, then it's a complete different story.
As you can see simplifications do matter and one must be careful making them.

Speaking about the general point, you didn't address my most generic statement and fail to adress the conclusion I draw from using a few examples. Lets look at the rest of my post. First note that so far you've basically only nitpicked on three lines that I wrote down, which are basically an example I used to make things more clear. My post could be written more generically, and then be guided by more specific examples if necessary, and the underlying logic would still hold true. So far, you have thus confuted nothing I said except for things that were clearly used as a hypothetical example to clarify the point. So far, you have not confuted my points like you said you have. Lets move on with the last bit of my post:

I confuted it by adding game knowledge to your assumptions (based on an inaccurate example) which completely make them suspicious to say the least.

momuuu wrote:So then xbow pike becomes a competitive strat (winrates between 40% and 60% aswell).
The problem is that xbow pike will still be reasonably viable on the TP maps: The chances are very big however that xbow pike turns out to be a 50-60% winrate strategy in match ups where the uhlan semi FF is a 40-50% match up. So then, by having two distinct viable strategies, the added flexibility will make a civ stronger still on TP maps than on no TP maps. The result is that any civ that has a very strong TP strategy is very likely going to be stronger on TP maps than on no TP maps just because of the added flexibility (if there is a good no TP strategy at all, otherwise they're obviously also better on TP maps). I don't see how this can reliably be worked around, and given that the balance team is already struggling to get a grasp on balance as is, I think they should just ignore no TP maps entirely.
Take xbow pike as an example here again, it might aswell be replaced with a generic germany playstyle that is different from the strats that can use trading posts. Here is the simple logic that is provided here in the form of an example: When a civilization has an option that has 40-60% winrates in all match ups that doesn't require a trading post, and also has an option that has 40-60% winrates in all match ups that does require a trading post, then on TP maps that civilization clearly has the choice between two strategies. There are match ups where the no TP strategy is better than the TP strategy and match ups where the TP strategy is better than the no TP strategy. Combine these two strategies, and the average winrate will obviously be higher, as you'll be taking the best possible winrate of those strats. The conclusion is then that balancing a civilization on no TP maps with a no TP strat will lead to that civilization being overpowered on TP maps if they have a TP strategy that is in isolation balanced too. To actually balance for no TP maps and TP maps, you will have to nerf TP strategies to the point where they are a non factor. That is the point I make, and that is never adressed by you. Instead you nitpick on details.

Err...no. Again. You can't just assume that the two strats both have between 40-60 winrate for all MUs. The TP strategy is likely to have 40-60 winrate for some MUs. The other strategy, being a second best choice, is going to have a 40-60 winrate on the remaining MUs. This is, again, because the two strats are mutually exclusive and can't be well combined.
You do use the flexibility argument, but again even if the two options can overlap in the same MU, that doesn't necessarily provide any win rate advantage to the civ, but just play diversity.
To round up your nitpicking, in which you completely ignore my actual point, you follow up with this:

The second inaccuracy of this reasoning is inherent to the example itself. Boosting xbow/pike most likely means just buffing xbows base damage (better than improving the multiplier vs HI). A xbow buff is something desirable in general because xbow unit is simply mediocre at the moment compared to all other RI units in colonial. So there is really no danger to make it overperforming on TP maps. On the other hand a simple buff like that can help a lot overall and specifically when Germans can't age up quickly.
This is the most confusing argument of the bunch. A generic example that has nothing to do with buffing xbows or pikes is again being nitpicked on. You use a made up fact that buffing xbows is something desirable in general. This comes out of nowhere, and I don't see how this is supported by any evidence provided by you in the post. To stay in your style, I will counter by saying that you are wrong because unicorns find it true that you are wrong. I also made up a statement out of nowhere and have provided no evidence for it, but in your world that apperantly suffices as 'argument', so here you go.

This is just you raving. You pick an example and you refuse to aknowledge it has practical implication on your assumptions.
Xbow buff is desirable. I won't get in detail since it's not opportune here. I will just say that it helps German no TP instances while it is neglectable on TP maps, which is the relevant thing here.

Nowhere in your point to you confute the actual logic. You just nitpick a bit and the largest part of your post is a typical garjument: some made up thing stated as if it is a fact, with no evidence provided for it. The unicorns disapprove garja. You didn't prove anything I said wrong; you hardly even responded to it. I would like to see you actually respond to the logic in my post, and actually make serious arguments that aren't you nitpicking something I used as a simplified example.

I do confute it being your assumption are full of inaccuracies.
Boosting no TP doesn't necessarily translates in improved TP play, whether it is from the same strategy being stronger or any added flexibility to the range of viable strategies.
PS.: Sorry for readers that my post hasn't been very coherent. Garja's arguments were very incoherent with regards to the post I made. Garja does this a lot, he picks out some stupid details, talks about those without actually responding to your actual post and then acts as if he has shown you are wrong. I could respond to these in isolation, but then garja hijacks the discussion away from the point brought up and into the territory of senseless nitpicking and garjuing. I instead chose to try and put Garja's post in the perspective of actually proving me wrong, and then showing that he didn't even come close to proving me wrong. My apoligies for the incoherence, but there is no way to coherently discuss with garja unfortunately.

You are dead wrong and you say all this. You're a clown when you do this.
Image Image Image
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

On an aside note, I don't really what's wrong in terms of balance of Wadmalaw. Although the map layout is not common, pretty all civs are playable there and no one hardly wins.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Its a fucking example garja. Take <blanket civ> and <blanket strategy> instead and the point still holds up. You know what, here, you might learn something: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

The point doesn't hold up at all.
It all depends on concrete circumstances and in particular how do you buff the no TP play.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Rikikipu wrote:On an aside note, I don't really what's wrong in terms of balance of Wadmalaw. Although the map layout is not common, pretty all civs are playable there and no one hardly wins.

Well the map isn't standard.
I've almost never played it so can't say whether or not I like it, but it's definitely not a standard map.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:The point doesn't hold up at all.
It all depends on concrete circumstances and in particular how do you buff the no TP play.

I give up. You 'win' again.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Rikikipu wrote:On an aside note, I don't really what's wrong in terms of balance of Wadmalaw. Although the map layout is not common, pretty all civs are playable there and no one hardly wins.

It feels weird, but that isn't necessarily bad. I just don't know yet. Same with colorado and to some extend bonnie springs. I wouldn't mind having those in much tbh.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Wadmala has odd pathing hunts that spawn on cliff divides. Like your two closest hunts spawn on cliffs. It's odd.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

I have no opinion on whether Wadmalaw is good (balanced; well-designed). It is definitely an unusual map, though, which is why it doesn't feature in map set "7" in my book.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:@zoom

It's not speculation, it is observed that players agree to play on ESOC map set to solve the map picking problem. That is on top, of course, of the randomization provided, which is a generally desired feature for sheer map diversity.
If one player picks a specific map it is very likely that less players will join his game (observed on the field). And it is more likely that there will be discussion on why that map is being chosen. Again nothing new, stuff already observed on the field in first person and which is a given.
Cherry picking a map is probably worse than cherry picking a map-set, but the problem is the cherry picking. Providing one and only set from above solves the cherry picking problem, because player agree to accept randomization (no speculation, it is what happens in every game lobby).

You're ignoring, or rather refusing to aknowledge, the argument I just described.

I don't agree wih the project lead.

See, that's speculation, assuming that more is better. People are very much better off with one single Standard map set if that favors coordination, rather than having multiple sets and having trouble picking one because of different preferences.
If anything is going to provide a sub-optimal patch is your idea to come with multiple sets with overlapping purpose.
Again, that is absolutely and wholly a matter of player choice. If players want to play on "ESOC Maps", they will. If players wan't to play on "Competitive Maps" they will rehost until they spawn such a map, or pick such a map, or make their own map-set in a jiffy. You don't know how things would end up with all popular map-sets granted, and even if we assume you do, it is a matter of choice.

I am refusing to acknowledge your argument because it is nonsense. It is a non-argument: How is it a problem when already, anyone can pick any map and play rated on it, let alone construct any map-set at all and play rated on it without any issue whatsoever? Whether we satisfy player map-set demand or players do themselves is a technicality, going to show even more how it's sheer stubbornness.

I am assuming that more popular map-sets makes for more satisfied players on average. That is not speculation, that is elementary deduction. It seems you have the two confused.

Overlapping purpose!? Are you mocking me!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE READ THE OP. All of my suggestions are very clearly not overlapping. Literally the only set with overlapping purpose is your suggested illegitimate non-choice usurper of all other map-sets. I am suggesting many diverse map-sets that don't overlap.

I am simply done arguing with you. There simply is no arguing with you. You can't even bother to consider my posts, make something up and pretend I said it, and go on spouting nonsense:

1. Read argument.
2. Replace argument with delusions.
3. Argue against delusions.
4. ??
5. Profit.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

umeu wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

you werent asking me anything, so why would i answer? i am not garja or his keeper.

as a rule I wouldn't argue about anything of substance with a nutcase who thinks that fluffy words and calling goodspeed "project lead" as if you are running a multimillion dollar event, will impress people into believing he's right. You are just a puppy trodding behind his master, without any views of your own. Yuck.
Because you made some unsubstantiated claims about my argument that were quite contradicting of reality. You're definitely not Garja, because you're clearly even less capable of following basic logic. What's more, Garja isn't as bitter and mean-spirited a person. Your inferiority complex must be pretty bad these days if you get this triggered by my use of three syllable words and the term "project lead". Yikes!

Admittedly you did at least get one thing right – I'm just a pawn. Congrat's, kid...
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

zoom wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Because you made some unsubstantiated claims about my argument that were quite contradicting of reality. You're definitely not Garja, because you're clearly even less capable of following basic logic. What's more, Garja isn't as bitter and mean-spirited a person. Your inferiority complex must be pretty bad these days if you get this triggered by my use of three syllable words and the term "project lead". Yikes!

Admittedly you did at least get one thing right – I'm just a pawn. Congrat's, kid...

All your posts are constantly aimed at antagonizing people. And then when people respond antagonized, you act surprised. In that way you are even worse than Lejend. You say that I am mean spirited, but in fact you have constantly been slipping in insults while debating Garja, and this isn't an exception. It's pretty much your trademark style. If telling you that makes you think I have any complex whatsoever, be my guest. I value your opinion about as much as a dogturd. But your obsession with my logic is bigger than yours and superiority/inferiority says much more about you than it says about anyone you make the subject of your pretentious pseudo-scientific and pseudo-psychiatric ramblings.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof big pits