Adding additional Map-Sets

Which maps should be in "ESOC Competitive Maps" according to "7"?

ESOC Adirondacks
7%
ESOC Arizona
5%
ESOC Arkansas
7%
ESOC Baja California
5%
ESOC Colorado
4%
ESOC Florida
6%
ESOC Fertile Crescent
4%
ESOC Great Basin
3%
ESOC High plains
6%
ESOC Herald Island
4%
ESOC Hudson Bay
7%
ESOC Iowa
2%
ESOC Jebel Musa
3%
ESOC Kamchatka
7%
ESOC Klondike
2%
ESOC Manchac
3%
ESOC Manchuria
7%
ESOC Malaysia
4%
ESOC Mendocino
5%
ESOC Tassili
2%
ESOC Tibet
3%
ESOC Wadmalaw
3%

Total votes: 303

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Adding additional Map-Sets

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Rikikipu wrote:It seems that you have changed your mind in the wrong way compared to the original philosphy intended at the begining of the patch. If I recall correctly, the challenge was to try to balance the civs, and not balancing the civs on TP maps. Saying that "balancing all civs on every map style is impossible" and instead transfering a balance problem to a map problem is the easiest and a wrong approach. Saying "it will not work" will of course not work. Thing is that the experience shows that the successive patches of Microsoft have always improved the balance in every aspect of the game. It isn't finished with RE, and the idea is that with iteration and tweaks you will end up with a solid compromise toward all map and game style.

The goal has always been to balance around the kamchatka/fixed gp map type.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

@zoom
The mapset in question does favor more the TP civs than the others
It's not like TP or high rsources are neutral conditions.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:@zoom

Sigh.
You totally missed the point. High resources TP maps should not favour any civ...
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

They should not in your mind but they necessarily do. Same thing for TP.
If someone is missing a point here, that's you.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Diarouga I must praise you for actually trying to argue about this. It can be a frustrating thing to do. Thumbs up!
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

momuuu wrote:Diarouga I must praise you for actually trying to argue about this. It can be a frustrating thing to do. Thumbs up!

why you changed your name into momuuuu, jerom
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

lordraphael wrote:
momuuu wrote:Diarouga I must praise you for actually trying to argue about this. It can be a frustrating thing to do. Thumbs up!

why you changed your name into momuuuu, jerom

Who is jerom?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

umeu wrote:@Goodspeed first you say that garjas idea can only be achieved by standardization. Then you say they will become too specialized (which is a bad thing why, even if it was true?)
Yes, real “dynamic balance” can only be achieved by standardization, unless you allow the civs to be specialized and allow the development of 2 separate metagames and consider that “balanced”. I don't think that, in doing so, you have achieved balance, but that’s an opinion.

I dont think civs are viable only on one type of map and not on the other.
Then that is where we fundamentally disagree. I agree that not all civs would have this problem, for the record, but many would. You seem to think the significance of the match up in deciding the game’s result outweighs the NTP vs TP factor, and I disagree. Often, civs that are strong on TP maps are much weaker on NTP maps, especially against civs that do naturally well there.

Say you have Dutch and Germans on RE patch. Dutch was good on NTP, bad on TP maps. Germans was good on TP, bad on NTP maps. According to your “dynamic balance”, this is fine. So there is no reason to change them.

Now, will you ever see Dutch on a TP map or Germans on NTP? Probably not. So you will never see this match up again. This is what I mean when I say civs would be too specialized, and that you would see 2 separate metagames. Along with Dutch, there will be other civs who are good on NTP and bad on TP, and you will never see them play Germans anymore because Germans will not be picked on NTP. This is one example but there would be many. And eventually, you will end up balancing 2 separate games. The NTP game, and the TP game. Effectively you will have halved the civ pool for both games.

But i find it curious u raise this as criticism against what garja proposes, even though its more clearly a consequence of your approach than of his. In your attampt to make each civ balanced on standardized tp maps, and by not attempting to do the same on no tp or other dominant map features, you are getting exactly that situation where because iro was too strong on tp but fine on ntp you nerfed it, but the now iro is bad to ok on tp, and just terrible on ntp.
My criticism is that Garja’s approach splits the civs into camps, which I was illustrating. This criticism isn’t applicable to our approach because we are not splitting the civs into camps, we are balancing for a specific map type (1 camp) and accepting the outliers.

Because you failed or refused to consider how the crate nerf was going to affect iro play on ntp and water maps, despite my repeated warnings. First iro on ntp could always open farm + first farm up, and sometimes market as well. Now they can only sometimes start farm, and you can just forget about the rest.
Have you forgotten how OP Iro is on RE? They were so strong, as you illustrate here, that despite their reliance on TPs they were still good on NTP maps. There was no possible change that would balance them on both map types. Your repeated insisting that these changes exist show where we disagree, because that is why you think an approach like Garja’s would be viable and I don’t.

Sure you would have different metas, but thats already the case.
It’s not supposed to be the case. The average hunt TP map meta should include all civs, and if it doesn’t then we have work to do.

And i dont see why that is a problem.
Because it would split the civs into camps, as I explained.

But the fact that people either fail to understand or fail to accept this, is why ppl say oh, this civ isnt viable on tp, or so bad blabla. But thats because they try to play on no tp maps the same way as on tp maps, which isnt possible for most civs. Then they fail to win and think its because their civ is bad on that map, while instead their strat is bad on that map. Thats a huge difference.
I agreed with you that part of it is psychological, and an unwillingness to adapt. But can you just admit that there is a difference in a civ’s strength between TP and NTP maps? For some civs this difference is not small.

And its why your gamemode analogy doesnt hold. Its not about japan being op in treaty and useless in dm, and just accepting that. Its about ppl trying to play japan the same way in dm as they would in treaty, and then complain that japan sux in dm... (I mean apparantly japan does suck in dm, but the differences between the game modes are so much bigger that your analogy fails just cuz of that.)
The analogy illustrates my point. I’m glad you understood it, then. I know it’s more extreme than the reality in NTP vs TP maps, that’s why it’s an analogy. But the issue is still there. If you don’t agree, that’s fine, but our approach remains to balance the civs for the average resource TP map (not high resource, as Diarouga says. On high resource maps there are other outliers).

With our approach in mind, and knowing it’s not going to change, do you still disagree that an average TP map pool would be beneficial?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Garja wrote:They should not in your mind but they necessarily do.
Ideally they wouldn't. Our aim is to balance the game on that specific map type (though average res, not high res).
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I was waiting for you to use this argument. Glad you bring it up.
Now, a question. How is that you think balancing civ on many different conditions, often opposed to each other and thus compensating, requires too much standardization, while instead balancing on one very specific map type doesn't require it?
In other words, how the hell do you balance all civs for TP play if not by standardizing everything around TPs? My suggestion: you don't. Or rather, you do but you standardize things too much.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:@zoom
Not at all, however, non-TP maps would favor the "non-TP" civilizations; we are balancing "non-tp" civilizations to be competitive on tp-maps, remember? Also it's average or sufficient resources, not high.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Yes, NTP maps do favor some other civs. And things tend to compensate. That's much better than standardizing civs around TPs. That's bullshit. And honestly at this point if you can't aknowledge that I can't help. I believe you guys aren't the right people to promote any patch then.

As for the sufficient resource argument, it's just a technicality you bring it up basically showing you don't have much clue about the matter. Every EP map has sufficient resources. That's ensured by EP standards which set the entry level for any map.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Well it depends on what you call high resource/average resource.
If your «average resource» standard is the same as my «high resource» standard then yes.
High resource is actually in comparison with the RE maps.
For me, kamchatka, arkansas, hudson bay, Manchuria, Arizona, High plains etc are all «high resource» maps, while Tassili or Klondike are low ressource maps which favour agressive civs such as Russia or Otto.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:Yes, NTP maps do favor some other civs. And things tend to compensate. That's much better than standardizing civs around TPs. That's bullshit. And honestly at this point if you can't aknowledge that I can't help. I believe you guys aren't the right people to promote any patch then.

As for the sufficient resource argument, it's just a technicality you bring it up basically showing you don't have much clue about the matter. Every EP map has sufficient resources. That's ensured by EP standards which set the entry level for any map.

1) We don't standardize civs lol. We buff NTP civs without changing the way they're played in order to make them competitive.

2) Every time I claimed that some maps where low resourced you came with some data showing the total amount of food on the map.
It's irrelevant however because
a) Berries aren't as important as hunts.
b) Nobody cares about the amount of hunts in the middle of the map, what matters is the amount of resources in base.

3) At this point it's pretty obvious we're disagreeing and neither of us is going to change his made about how the game should work, and how we should have fun, so just keep your mapset for people who agree with you, and create one for people who disagree.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:3) At this point it's pretty obvious we're disagreeing and neither of us is going to change his made about how the game should work, and how we should have fun, so just keep your mapset for people who agree with you, and create one for people who disagree.

Then I require another patch made by Umeu/Garja/Mitoe where I can have various opportunities and strategic decision on every map with every civ, and you keep your patch with people who agree with you to make your semi ff cav / nr 10 games.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Rikikipu wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:3) At this point it's pretty obvious we're disagreeing and neither of us is going to change his made about how the game should work, and how we should have fun, so just keep your mapset for people who agree with you, and create one for people who disagree.

Then I require another patch made by Umeu/Garja/Mitoe where I can have various opportunities and strategic decision on every map with every civ, and you keep your patch with people who agree with you to make your semi ff cav / nr 10 games.

I'm half serious here, it seems that there are 2 sides with really opposite vision of what the EP should be, and after 10 threads an 1k posts I don't see any change in both sides, so I'm afraid we will never agree really.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Garja wrote:I was waiting for you to use this argument. Glad you bring it up.
Funny because I mentioned it many times.
Now, a question. How is that you think balancing civ on many different conditions, often opposed to each other and thus compensating, requires too much standardization, while instead balancing on one very specific map type doesn't require it?
In other words, how the hell do you balance all civs for TP play if not by standardizing everything around TPs? My suggestion: you don't. Or rather, you do but you standardize things too much.
You accept civ counters.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Rikikipu wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:

I'm half serious here, it seems that there are 2 sides with really opposite vision of what the EP should be, and after 10 threads an 1k posts I don't see any change in both sides, so I'm afraid we will never agree really.

Well you're totally right, there are 2 opposite visions of what the EP should be and we'll never agree.
Making a 2nd patch (well hypothetically we all know it's not going to happen :smile: ), would split the EP community even more + keep in mind that Mitoe/Garja/Umeu agree on disagreeing with the current EP policy. I'm sure that if they were to create a patch they'd disagree on a lot of thing (just because nobody agrees with garja in general, and because from what I know Umeu and Mitoe don't have the same vision of the game at all), so sticking to this is the best way, because of this, and because it's the only "objective" balance criteria since "dynamic balance" by definition can't be controled and you can't know whether a civ is balanced or not. RE went for the dynamic balanced and the result wasn't great.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Rikikipu wrote:

Then I require another patch made by Umeu/Garja/Mitoe where I can have various opportunities and strategic decision on every map with every civ,
It's wishful thinking.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

You do standardize civ and, even worse, you do standardize around your vision which is biased toward boomy passive play. And that's ultimately bad.

Every time you talk about maps you display lack of knowledge and lack of perspective. And the fact that you keep doing it over and over amuses me.
I'm pretty sure I told you already that those maps have different amount of hunts within each other. Manchuria and Kamchatka have way less hunts than HP. HP is in fact a bit of an outlier compared to them. This is true for both "in base" and overall hunts.

Mid map hunts are relevant indeed for defining high res or low res map. They contribute to the flow of the game just like in base hunts, obviously with different implications. For one, it's not like every play sits in base and play defensively like you do. Nor everyone plays Brits. Nor everyone think Brits have to be played that way only. Besides Brits get free vills from wood so their supposed hunt dependancy should be revisioned. So it's not even entirely true that Brit need that many hunts and hence that high hunts maps should be any more balanced than low res maps. Besides it's not just about hunts. India suffers from the opposite problem. If map has low gold they will be in some trouble at one point. That's is a perfect example of why people shouldn't fall in easy categorizations and why your schematic approach to balance is not good.

Berries are not as good as hunt perhaps, still they are underrated. Walking time is something you can't measure directly hence why people understimate it and as consequence they understimate berries. In fact for a civ like Brits that can teleport vills with manor building and that simply have a sheer villager advantage for most of the game the fact that they don't get from the optimal food source is secondary to having vills just gathering anything.

In general what I've noticed is that people and in particular you and GS are too obsessed with build max optmization in terms of income efficiency. That biased perception of the game is misleading and is ultimately harmful when applied to balance.

All these things combined, plus much more that would emerge from pretty much every post of yours, simply show how much stuff you ignore and why exactly you shouldn't be in any position to make balance calls when they affect the game design.

As I said, I'm totally fine with new mapsets except for having one that claims to be the competitive one, when in fact it excludes lot of maps that are competitive.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Rikikipu wrote:

This is just a ridiculous misrepresentation of diarouga's points. Why would you even try to argue like this?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Because there is some truth to it. We basically come to that. And the fact is that if only it was any efficient I would make my own patch with just better idea and better balance.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

momuuu wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:The lack of logic is that you randomly call some maps balanced. A balanced map is a map with same amount of resources per player.
Maps have never aimed at being "balanced" for the one hundred match-ups avalaible.
And this is not that you don't enjoy playing on no Tp maps that other people don't.
Last fake news you said (crooked jerom!) is that no tp maps aren't the standard maps at all now :
Percentage of TP maps in ESOC maps : 74%

I don't see how I randomly call some maps balanced. It becomes quite obvious that it's impossible to balance civs on both no TP maps and TP maps, as the TP is a very strong and influential structure that changes how the game is played. Quite clearly we can see how civs like Dutch, Russia, India and British become much and much stronger on no TP maps while civs like Spain, Germany and ottoman become much weaker. Therefore I don't see the point of trying to create balanced maps (in terms of balanced resources) while also throwing off the general balance of the game in the process; then one might aswell make a map that occasionally spawns poorly, as the practical difference is nihil. If you're playing in a match up where having a TP available is of extreme importance (denying these match ups exist is beyond silly), then the random assignment of a no TP map is going to reduce your chances of winning just like the random poor map spawn reduces your chances of winning. The practical difference just seems absent to me, as it's a random factor that's reducing the balance in the match up.

Not to mention that I don't even see the points of no TP maps. As it is, it would be possible to balance around no TP maps somewhat, although it ultimately just makes the end result that much worse. But then what did you gain? What's so fun about no TP maps in a meta as settled as this one? Instead of having an extra choice to make (do I get a trading post or not) you don't have that choice. It "allows" for different strategies one could say, but what made those strategies unviable on a TP map to begin with? I suppose it could be interesting in match ups where both civs benefit equally from the presence of TPs (I struggle to recall a non mirror match up where I'd say this holds true, although there might be one), but is that worth forcing this map type, with all its downsides, upon anyone wishing to play a random map pool? As a gimmick map it is a nice change of pace, just like how one could enjoy playing on High plains or Indonesia, but this is a very frequent type of gimmick map (26% apperantly, I felt like it was slightly more and clearly should've made it clear that I was expressing a feeling by adding the word 'almost' to the sentence where I called them "standard") and is thus applied as if it is a normal sort of map while it clearly is not.

And then lastly, how is it justified to not add something that can logically be seen as an improvement to anyone that would ascribe to my presented arguments? It seems somewhat self-centered to not be willing to make a mappool that a good deal of people would enjoy because you personally do not agree with the value of this mappool. You even express it yourself, the fact that I don't enjoy no TP maps doesn't mean others doesn't and thus shouldn't mean the removal of the true random mappool. But then reversing the logic, why should you not liking a 'standard' map pool mean that others also don't like it? More importantly, why should your stance deprive people of the chance to have the type of mappool that they prefer?

momuuu wrote:This would be the current distribution:
No TP (7/31)
alaska, bengal, cascade range, pampas sierras, thar desert, gran chaco, parrallel rivers

TP, not good for stagecoach (10/31)
adirondacks, bonnie springs, colorado, fertile crescent, florida, kamchatka, malysia, manchac, tassili, great basin

TP, good for stagecoach (8/31)
Arkansas, baja california, herald island, hudson bay, iowa, jebel musa, manchuria, wadmalaw

TP, stagecoach extremely good (5/31)
Arizona, high plains, klondike, mendocino, tibet

weird map where water is only viable thing (1/31)
indonesia

I see a direct conflict between no TP maps and maps good for stagecoach at least: Ports, Spain can do ATP and France and Otto are really good at it. Some civs also struggle contesting the TP line: Dutch and Japan, and to a lesser extend british. The natural split of the game appears to be that civs that take TPs are also good at stagecoach, and civs that don't really want TPs have a very hard time contesting stagecoach builds obviously. This presents serious problems in the extremely good stagecoach maps aswell as potential problems in the medium good stagecoach maps. Meanwhile, there's a problem on the no TP maps for TP civs (Otto, Germany, Spain, France, Ports especially benefit a lot from a trading post) versus natural no TP civs (Russia, India, Dutch, British, Aztec). You're thus in a rough position where on the one hand a group of civs is stronger on stagecoach maps (especially the great ones) while weaker on no TP maps, while on the other hand a group of civs can't benefit from stagecoach maps at all yet they are all weak on no TP maps.

Here's an obvious problem: You can try to perfectly nerf stagecoach, but that's extremely hard and forces you to move away from what RE was. You can meanwhile try to optimally buff civs that are weak on no TP maps. Again, you will be introducing more changes and move further away from RE and again this is much harder. Accidental changes might be found that are good (otto church for example) but overall you're facing a big struggle. I would openly wonder how you can make germany balanced on no TP maps: You'd probably have to give them a buff to dopps or bows, so that a colonial agenda becomes a viable strategy against all civs. Basically, since there are civs unaffected by no TP balance, this would have to become a viable strategy for all maps. Then, there ends up being no garantuee that this strategy actually fills some weaknesses a civ used to have on TP maps. You then might face that, even without directly buffnig the go-to TP strat, you've buffed a civ by introducing a new viable strategy. Then, in return, you have to nerf the good TP strategy a bit because in combination with the no TP strategy the civ has become too strong. You obviously can't nerf the no TP strategy, as your initial goal was to make the civ balanced on no TP maps. But, then the result quickly becomes that you're nerfing a strategy that in isolation was actually balanced, and then there is a good probability that this strat will, in a fair bit of match ups, be overtaken by a no-TP strategy. For example, Germany might become quite a bit better against India with a bow buff (and other match ups, the bow buff would have to be quite significant to make germany balanced on no TP maps) so we're forced to nerf their fortress agenda. But then you face the risk that germany starts doing a bow pike rush in match ups that are already fair otherwise (dutch, british, otto, japan, aztec are match ups that come to mind with a significant bow buff) and then what you've done is essentially eliminate or vastly reduce TP dependance for a civ to balance it on a no-TP map.

If you were to try this for all civs, I personally think this will happen a lot of times. You will end up changing civs towards no-TP civs and reducing variety between civs a bit. Then one has to start wondering if this extreme split of maps ended up giving more variety when you try to balance it. As already said, stagecoach would also have to be reduced in strenght by a lot, even if you don't nerf the normal TP strat of civs: The same argument applies, the viability of stagecoach might fill holes in match ups, even if it is as a whole balanced, and thus one needs to nerf this strategy (as the TP strat is already balanced and that's the goal in this example) to the point where it as a whole might not be viable. One can easily see how, even if you try really hard, the ideal of balancing the game for no TP maps, TP maps and Stagecoach maps quickly spirals into an unsolvable (or at least, very hard) problem. Now add to that that it has already turned out to be extremely hard to get the TP maps balanced properly (theres not even consensus within the community on balance, only generic outlines) and you can see how complicating the balancing process by an extreme amount probably isn't a wishful thing to do.

I would like to argue the patch team is aware that balancing no-TP maps and stagecoach maps is probably not a goal that can be achieved in practise: Dutch has received multiple buffs even when they were probably a fine civ on no TP maps, Brits are not being nerfed even though they're OP on TP maps (and even fine on no-TP maps), Otto and Iro have mostly received nerfs even though these aren't the best of civs on no TP maps either, germany has received nerfs that specifically made their performance on no TP maps worse even though there was an alternative to target only their TP build (by nerfing the age 3 shipments). In the end I think very few balance changes are justifiable for no-TP maps, except for the Otto church buff. I'd argue that the patch changes have been in line with the attitude of balancing for the TP maps.

With that being said, I expect that the balance will continue to be much better on TP maps, of the no stagecoach and good stagecoach variant (18 maps total). For balance purists like me it would be nice to have a mappool with these 18 maps. In the end, I might still play no TP maps but then I, and hopefully others, will be aware that these maps are not intended to be balanced. Those that prefer a balanced but random map pool (with 18 maps, theres still a lot of variety so hosting on just one map is very different from using this map pool) would then be granted the ability to play on their balance purist map and probably have more fun doing so. In the end, this would also alleviate a lot of criticism towards maps, I suspect, and towards balancing (looking at Dutch's role here for example).

My favorite posts from viewtopic.php?f=158&t=13456
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:You do standardize civ and, even worse, you do standardize around your vision which is biased toward boomy passive play. And that's ultimately bad.

Every time you talk about maps you display lack of knowledge and lack of perspective. And the fact that you keep doing it over and over amuses me.

Yea because you're famous for your game knowledge lol.

I'm pretty sure I told you already that those maps have different amount of hunts within each other. Manchuria and Kamchatka have way less hunts than HP. HP is in fact a bit of an outlier compared to them. This is true for both "in base" and overall hunts.

HP is one of the maps which have the most hunts lol, so of course it has more hunts than Manchuria or Kamchatka, what's your point?

Mid map hunts are relevant indeed for defining high res or low res map. They contribute to the flow of the game just like in base hunts, obviously with different implications. For one, it's not like every play sits in base and play defensively like you do. Nor everyone plays Brits. Nor everyone think Brits have to be played that way only. Besides Brits get free vills from wood so their supposed hunt dependancy should be revisioned.

Do you realize what you're just saying? Try to think dude, you can't just say that Brits don't rely on high hunts because manors cost wood, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No wonder people don't take your seriously after such bs opinions, you're basically unable of having any logical opinion.

So it's not even entirely true that Brit need that many hunts and hence that high hunts maps should be any more balanced than low res maps. Besides it's not just about hunts. India suffers from the opposite problem. If map has low gold they will be in some trouble at one point. That's is a perfect example of why people shouldn't fall in easy categorizations and why your schematic approach to balance is not good.

I was mentioning food because, fortunately, most maps have 2 mines in base, so it's not an issue with the current maps. Food is however.

Berries are not as good as hunt perhaps, still they are underrated. Walking time is something you can't measure directly hence why people understimate it and as consequence they understimate berries. In fact for a civ like Brits that can teleport vills with manor building and that simply have a sheer villager advantage for most of the game the fact that they don't get from the optimal food source is secondary to having vills just gathering anything.

In general what I've noticed is that people and in particular you and GS are too obsessed with build max optmization in terms of income efficiency. That biased perception of the game is misleading and is ultimately harmful when applied to balance.

I think the opposite. To balance the game, we need people who can think theorically and find the best way to play theorically, rather than people who do random stuff and end up losing to captains because they're obscessed with a strat which doesn't work.

All these things combined, plus much more that would emerge from pretty much every post of yours, simply show how much stuff you ignore and why exactly you shouldn't be in any position to make balance calls when they affect the game design.

As I said in the other thread, honestly you're notorious for having unreasonable opinion when the game is concerned, so eventhough I have my weak points and my bias as you claimed, I think that I'm much more capable of working on the EP than you.

As I said, I'm totally fine with new mapsets except for having one that claims to be the competitive one, when in fact it excludes lot of maps that are competitive.

I don't give a shit about its name, call it easy maps if you want.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

zoom wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Imo as long as players arent forced into blindpick, everything is a "competitive map".

8tp line? amazona? honshu? sure, its competitive, maybe only a couple civs are viable, but its competitive.

I think the question here is "what map promotes a style that you dont like in tournament setting"? then I can vote in Iowa for super small chokes, in the hypotetical 8tp map for beeing just insane, etc.
Every map is relatively competitive, if you know beforehand what map it will be. With map-sets, you do not know that, hence far from all maps are competitive in a map-set.

then no map is competitive, thats why we dont have tournaments in random maps, it just affects the balance too much to be random