1%

Total votes: 194

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by pecelot »

So what is your favourite map? Bear in mind not only starting resources, but also design!
France Kynesie
ESOC Pro Team
ESO: kynesie

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Kynesie »

:praise: :praise: Indonesia :praise: :praise:
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by mnogud »

manchuria, both aesthetically and balance wise.... kamchatka has wayyy too many hunts and it makes it easy for civs like japan , brits french
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by WickedCossack »

I quite like Cascade.

Didn't like it the first times I played it on it as low res, but it's kinda cool once you accept that fact and play it out differently.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Hazza54321 »

Manchuria, hudson bay and arkansauce are the best
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

Maps like Cascade Range, Bengal and Tibet are cool, but favor specific civilizations to a far greater extent than maps like Arkansas, Kamchatka and High Plains, which is unfortunate as they are otherwise interesting in terms of design.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Hudson Bay
India _DB_
Howdah

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by _DB_ »

Hudson Bay and Manchuria.

I love the ice version of Hudson Bay, epic graphics. I love graphics of Manchuria and the voice which the marco makes when it dies. Mey-E-E-E-EA.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

Kamchatka never gets enough love :(
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by mnogud »

calmyourtits wrote:Kamchatka never gets enough love :(
i dont get it why people are fond of it... its just has wayy too many hunts.... BOOORING
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by pecelot »

I like Kamchatka - decent TP line, nice wood treasures, some hunts and choke points . You can finally play as Brits!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

mnogud wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:Kamchatka never gets enough love :(
i dont get it why people are fond of it... its just has wayy too many hunts.... BOOORING
High natural resources make for very interesting games, actually. It can make eco builds viable which otherwise wouldnt be viable, the timings are slightly later. It opens up a largely unexplored meta and leaves the predictable and boring "I need to take map control instantly because otherwise Im going to get starved out" meta behind. It might even make vill shipments viable :o

Overall there is a strong bias towards aggressive maps which makes the game more strategically shallow than it should be, and favours mechanical players.
France iNcog
Ninja

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by iNcog »

Oh, you can vote for 4
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag PoniPoika
Skirmisher

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by PoniPoika »

Hudson Bay, Manchuria, Arkansas and High Plains all day every day.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

calmyourtits wrote:
mnogud wrote:i dont get it why people are fond of it... its just has wayy too many hunts.... BOOORING
High natural resources make for very interesting games, actually. It can make eco builds viable which otherwise wouldnt be viable, the timings are slightly later. It opens up a largely unexplored meta and leaves the predictable and boring "I need to take map control instantly because otherwise Im going to get starved out" meta behind. It might even make vill shipments viable :o

Overall there is a strong bias towards aggressive maps which makes the game more strategically shallow than it should be, and favours mechanical players.
THUS SAYETH THE ORACLULZ!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

Winner: Kamchatka. Honorary mentions: Baja California, Pampas Sierras.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

calmyourtits wrote:
mnogud wrote:i dont get it why people are fond of it... its just has wayy too many hunts.... BOOORING
It might even make vill shipments viable :o

Lol, next meta is lb behind a wall and push with more walls for map control :P
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah walls are a problem. For now (:))
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by yurashic »

calmyourtits wrote:

Yeah high res maps make builds from your guide somewhat viable. :)
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by yemshi »

Why is it possible to have a place Nr.1 and and a place Nr.3 without Nr.2?

And finally Mongolia gets what it deserves: Hate.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by pecelot »

yemshi wrote:Why is it possible to have a place Nr.1 and and a place Nr.3 without Nr.2?
Maybe there were two first places at that moment.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by momuuu »

calmyourtits wrote:

but the more res their are, the bigger chance most early game strategy gets somewhat discarded and people start playing it more like treaty 10.

I think some maps might slightly overdo it tbh. 1 decent starting hunt, a good and relatively large second one and a third one a bit out of range is best imo. 2 or even three hunts that could be herded to your base is just too much to me.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by gibson »

Yea im not a big fan of extremely high resource maps. Since I have the micro of probably a corporal I win my games by either just having a better build order or out macroing my opponent. High resource maps are easier to play on, but I think make it harder for me to win.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by pecelot »

They are always a nice addition, I think it's the best to play on ??ESOC maps", which chooses a random map from the poll (althought Indonesia too ') ).
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

jerom wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:High natural resources make for very interesting games, actually. It can make eco builds viable which otherwise wouldnt be viable, the timings are slightly later. It opens up a largely unexplored meta and leaves the predictable and boring "I need to take map control instantly because otherwise Im going to get starved out" meta behind. It might even make vill shipments viable :o

but the more res their are, the bigger chance most early game strategy gets somewhat discarded and people start playing it more like treaty 10.

I think some maps might slightly overdo it tbh. 1 decent starting hunt, a good and relatively large second one and a third one a bit out of range is best imo. 2 or even three hunts that could be herded to your base is just too much to me.
Agree, FP GP is an example of a map that overdid it although even there Ive seen more interesting games than on most maps. Anyway there is nothing wrong with high res maps in the pool, especially if most of the other maps already favour aggressive builds. You say the more res, the more people start playing like its tr10. Whats wrong with that? It will never turn into actual tr10 because AoE3 is a well designed RTS where semi-X is always better than naked X. Making units to raid and idle their vills when the other guy isnt making units is always useful. Do you see the kind of meta this would spawn and do you see how interesting it would be?

Actual high eco builds becoming a viable way to play adds a lot of depth to the game. Imagine people actually being able to justify building a second TC in fortress, and even starting to send economic shipments in fortress because they are no longer forced to send units to fight for map control? IV will start to become an actual relevant age on land maps. Rushing will become a meta play against high eco builds because they are cutting corners and vulnerable to pressure, eco civs like Ports may actually see some play, etc. Theres a whole lot of interesting stuff here, but sadly forgotten because everyone wants to see forward base French mirrors.