3%
Painted Desert
1%

Total votes: 194

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

I think we should have a little bit more standard land maps. Kinda only have high plains and arkansas that are really standard atm. At least, in the tournement map pool.
And at least 1 high res map!
It's fine if not all maps are balanced, but something is wrong if all of the exceptions lean towards aggressive styles.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by gibson »

calmyourtits wrote:
I think we should have a little bit more standard land maps. Kinda only have high plains and arkansas that are really standard atm. At least, in the tournement map pool.
It''s fine if not all maps are balanced, but something is wrong if all of the exceptions lean towards aggressive styles.

don''t Arkansas and high Plains count as high resource maps? At least hunt wise both maps have 3 hunts that you can have on top of your tc by age 2 with relative ease.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

gibson wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:And at least 1 high res map!
Its fine if not all maps are balanced, but something is wrong if all of the exceptions lean towards aggressive styles.
dont Arkansas and high Plains count as high resource maps?
Relatively. But no I wouldnt count them as such.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by gibson »

calmyourtits wrote:
gibson wrote:dont Arkansas and high Plains count as high resource maps?
Relatively. But no I wouldnt count them as such.

So do high resource maps even exist then?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Goodspeed »

Not in the current pool. The first versions of Kamchatka had more hunts than the final version iirc, so that may have been a good one. And FP Great plains has high res although that map overdid it slightly.

But I wouldn't mind seeing a map with as much res or slightly less as FP GP and a different design. Map control is still important there for the record, it just becomes important slightly later in the game which makes a different set of builds viable. And again, this theoretical new map shouldn't be the average, it should be an exception but imo it should exist in the pool.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Garja »

The first version of kamchtka had 9 animals per herd, the current one has 7. 9x3= 27 caribous in tc is like 21 bisons. Plus the goats and the starting hunt. It just was way too much.
Arkansas is a high res map actually. 6 turkeys and 9x2 deers, plus 3 berries. Also 2 mines just like every map.
High plains is also high resources with bison+deer herd in tc. Also 2 starting mines and a granted 3rd mine.

In general, high resource maps:
-arizona, arkansas, high plains, hudson bay, kamchatka, manchuria, pampas sierras

Low resource maps:
- bengal, cascade range, tibet (only proximity resources actually)

Indonesia and Baja california have fair resources especially considering the water.
Image Image Image
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by spadel »

As long as there are at least 3 berries relatively low hunt is not too bad. What really kills matchups are maps without berries. One backherd or unlucky hunt spawn and you can basically resign. (Isn't for example that small map where musket played French vs BS japan designed like that.) This type of map just eliminates certain civs.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by WickedCossack »

An all berry map would be quality. Don't even need to clump up the bushes, just have them in ones dotted everywhere on the map. Would be really interesting to see how civs play out on this style of map.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by yemshi »

I smell Interjection hypes with agra forts.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

calmyourtits wrote:
It''s fine if not all maps are balanced, but something is wrong if all of the exceptions lean towards aggressive styles.
Agreed.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

garja wrote:The first version of kamchtka had 9 animals per herd, the current one has 7. 9x3= 27 caribous in tc is like 21 bisons. Plus the goats and the starting hunt. It just was way too much.
Arkansas is a high res map actually. 6 turkeys and 9x2 deers, plus 3 berries. Also 2 mines just like every map.
High plains is also high resources with bison+deer herd in tc. Also 2 starting mines and a granted 3rd mine.

In general, high resource maps:
-arizona, arkansas, high plains, hudson bay, kamchatka, manchuria, pampas sierras

Low resource maps:
- bengal, cascade range, tibet (only proximity resources actually)

Indonesia and Baja california have fair resources especially considering the water.
The point is that the maps listed under "high resource maps" above are much more average from a balance perspective than those listed under "low resource maps": In general the extremes are significantly skewed towards the lower end.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Garja »

Nah, that's a matter of opinion.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by momuuu »

Well, gs would like to see higher res maps. I personally think those would be pretty boring though.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

garja wrote:Nah, that''s a matter of opinion.
Exactly. That''s my entire point' it''s the opinion of for example goodspeed and myself that such is the case, to one degree or another. That''s what we''re trying to say. I''m glad you see that now.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Marco1698 »

I like all maps but my favourite is hudson bay.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Durokan »

What do you think of a map with a mill under the tc from the start? (Think saguenay)
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by edeholland »

durokan wrote:What do you think of a map with a mill under the tc from the start? (Think saguenay)
Makes TWC civs even stronger, and most other civs won''t use it alot.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by zoom »

No. Just give the naive Americans a fucking Mill. In other words, don't think Saguenay...
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by thebritish »

jerom wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:High natural resources make for very interesting games, actually. It can make eco builds viable which otherwise wouldnt be viable, the timings are slightly later. It opens up a largely unexplored meta and leaves the predictable and boring "I need to take map control instantly because otherwise Im going to get starved out" meta behind. It might even make vill shipments viable :o

Overall there is a strong bias towards aggressive maps which makes the game more strategically shallow than it should be, and favours mechanical players.
but the more res their are, the bigger chance most early game strategy gets somewhat discarded and people start playing it more like treaty 10.

I think some maps might slightly overdo it tbh. 1 decent starting hunt, a good and relatively large second one and a third one a bit out of range is best imo. 2 or even three hunts that could be herded to your base is just too much to me.
IMO its better to have 1 hunt close to your tc, second hunt to for herding and a third one for which you and your opponent should be fighting for. ')
( No sarcasm)
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by _H2O »

This pool says that Garja has made an amazing set of maps. There is something for everyone (except the 9 people who voted for siberia. Im guessing thats just zutazuta though! :D). I love every map in the garja map pool for the most part. High plains is the only one I do not really get excited about.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by mnogud »

h2o wrote:This pool says that Garja has made an amazing set of maps. There is something for everyone (except the 9 people who voted for siberia. Im guessing thats just zutazuta though! :D). I love every map in the garja map pool for the most part. High plains is the only one I do not really get excited about.
i dont get it why people love cascade range though :3 what civ can one play there other than india ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by deleted_user »

arkansas,hudson Bay
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by momuuu »

Why isnt everybody playing hudson bay then..
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by yemshi »

jerom wrote:Maybe a berrie only map would improve gameplay.

Then you can actually build mills without instantly losing lol. Id be willing to see how that works out.
Because there tends to be a Santa version of Hudson Bay. And who likes these fucking bells you hear in every winter?
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Favourite ESOC maps!

Post by Marco1698 »

Kynesie probably voted Indonesia