Suggestion for maps in EP

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Suggestion for maps in EP

Post by musketeer925 »

This is a pretty good idea, didn't see this before. Maybe we could get this in the EP4.1 change list?
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

@lemmings121 This is a fantastic idea and I can simply not comprehend how this has not been proposed/included earlier. Devs please stop whatever you are doing and implement this ;-)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Can we have a map which gives passive 10 hp bonus to sepoys?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

deleted_user wrote:Can we have a map which gives passive 10 hp bonus to sepoys?

Best suggestion ever
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

I think Oman would make an amazing map. It would probably look something like Carolina turned 90 degrees and desert. A towering mountain range called Jabal shams in the east, and Dhofar in the west, a land where the Indian monsoon turns desert into jungle for four Months out of the year
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khareef
https://goo.gl/images/itLXUx

Might be hard to do competitive balancing though since most of the trees/ hunts would probably be in Dhofar which us a relatively small region

Or what about Persian gulf? A sort of saguneauy upside down and desert with a larger body of water?
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

jgals wrote:I think Oman would make an amazing map. It would probably look something like Carolina turned 90 degrees and desert. A towering mountain range called Jabal shams in the east, and Dhofar in the west, a land where the Indian monsoon turns desert into jungle for four Months out of the year

Might be hard to do competitive balancing though since most of the trees/ hunts would probably be in Dhofar which us a relatively small region

Or what about Persian gulf? A sort of saguneauy upside down and desert with a larger body of water?

Hi,
Names aren't really useful frankly, it barely matters. If you really want to help the map team, try to be precise: how many TPs? Where? Hunts/ gold mines? Where? A sea? Where? How much resources? The best would probably be a drawing.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

deleted_user wrote:Can we have a map which gives passive 10 hp bonus to sepoys?

princeofcarthage has found a solid way to make such map-specific changes technically possible. How are we going to put that to use remains a question.
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

britrouga wrote:
jgals wrote:I think Oman would make an amazing map. It would probably look something like Carolina turned 90 degrees and desert. A towering mountain range called Jabal shams in the east, and Dhofar in the west, a land where the Indian monsoon turns desert into jungle for four Months out of the year

Hi,
Names aren't really useful frankly, it barely matters. If you really want to help the map team, try to be precise: how many TPs? Where? Hunts/ gold mines? Where? A sea? Where? How much resources? The best would probably be a drawing.

I think the wise garja has a better knowledge of geography than you give him credit for my good sir ! But indeed I will work on such a thing
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

jgals wrote:
britrouga wrote:

Hi,

I think the wise garja has a better knowledge of geography than you give him credit for my good sir ! But indeed I will work on such a thing

???
What does geography have to do with maps lol?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

like, a lot?
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

pecelot wrote:like, a lot?

you are wrong and are a super noob

the sudy of maps is cartography

please dooo more research and gain knowlidge

:ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :? :hmm: :love: :devil: :arrow: :?:
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

so I was trying to make a sample map for the idea I had. Obviously the hilly part in the center would have to be toned way down for the actual map. But is there one like this lready? Also

how do you place trade route sites? I put them in but they never actually showed up just the weird beacon symbol of where you put them even when playing.
Attachments
16DC57E8-1259-4CFC-88D6-07B2C7819A36.jpeg
sinai.age3Yscn
(232.85 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

jgals wrote:so I was trying to make a sample map for the idea I had. Obviously the hilly part in the center would have to be toned way down for the actual map. But is there one like this lready? Also

how do you place trade route sites? I put them in but they never actually showed up just the weird beacon symbol of where you put them even when playing.

You are actually creating a scenario and not map, to create maps you need to use text editor like notepad++, and create maps using RMS/xs script
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

princeofcarthage wrote:
jgals wrote:so I was trying to make a sample map for the idea I had. Obviously the hilly part in the center would have to be toned way down for the actual map. But is there one like this lready? Also

You are actually creating a scenario and not map, to create maps you need to use text editor like notepad++, and create maps using RMS/xs script

Yeah I know that but I donā€™t know how to do that. So this is a sample for the idea that I had
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

kinda looks like a man with an enormous penis.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

momuuu wrote:

Speaking about penises, I would jugde that to be a very short, thick one. Dont know your referenses though. :uglylol:

The map looks very nice :P lots of fishing opertuneties, lots of mines, trading posts, a choke point.
Ergo = I like it :love:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

iwillspankyou wrote:
momuuu wrote:

Speaking about penises, I would jugde that to be a very short, thick one. Dont know your referenses though. :uglylol:

The map looks very nice :P lots of fishing opertuneties, lots of mines, trading posts, a choke point.

did u notice the water choke point where the only whales are in teh southern ocean?

yea the resources are probably too heavy. just a concept
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

@jgals to me it looks like there is 2 in the upper side, and 6 on the bottom?
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

iwillspankyou wrote:
momuuu wrote:

Don't know where you get your penis references either spanky.

Very rude to make fun of Jeroms tiny willy.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

@jgals I think it might be better if you limited it to 3 TPs, and added some ice pathways. Players might be tempted to FB in the middle to gain all the resources, and then whoever loses map control ends up losing the game. The ice paths add an interesting dynamic because it means that if a player controls water then they can force the enemy to put their army in a risky spot in order to attack. It also means that if a player moves to attack the TP line then there is a direct path to his base should the enemy try to attack. Reinforcements going from a TC to mid would need to walk much further too.

Your choice to give the starting peninsula low hunts is brilliant. It means that if we saw something like a Spanish TP FF, he would have exhausted his starting hunts, and would need to rely on the TP line alone for food if the other player took mid. The map gives a red herring to players that screams "boom relentlessly." But in actuality gives pretty serious punishments for players choosing to devote purely to water, mid, or TPs. I imagine Ports would do best here. They can ship ATP; do a water boom; and build a TC in the middle. Russia would probably also be pretty good, since they excel at prolonged colonial fights. I don't think Asian civs would do too well here. (it's not like China and Japan are relevant on EP anyways) Something like Sioux would be a complete wild-card though.

I think the map is cool, but there are others with a much better eye for how competitive games would play out.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

sniping tool
Bhutan jgals
Lancer

Post by jgals »

Amsel_ wrote:@jgals I think it might be better if you limited it to 3 TPs, and added some ice pathways. Players might be tempted to FB in the middle to gain all the resources, and then whoever loses map control ends up losing the game. The ice paths add an interesting dynamic because it means that if a player controls water then they can force the enemy to put their army in a risky spot in order to attack. It also means that if a player moves to attack the TP line then there is a direct path to his base should the enemy try to attack. Reinforcements going from a TC to mid would need to walk much further too.

Your choice to give the starting peninsula low hunts is brilliant. It means that if we saw something like a Spanish TP FF, he would have exhausted his starting hunts, and would need to rely on the TP line alone for food if the other player took mid. The map gives a red herring to players that screams "boom relentlessly." But in actuality gives pretty serious punishments for players choosing to devote purely to water, mid, or TPs. I imagine Ports would do best here. They can ship ATP; do a water boom; and build a TC in the middle. Russia would probably also be pretty good, since they excel at prolonged colonial fights. I don't think Asian civs would do too well here. (it's not like China and Japan are relevant on EP anyways) Something like Sioux would be a complete wild-card though.

I think the map is cool, but there are others with a much better eye for how competitive games would play out.

thanks for the feedback. One thing to notice that might be hard to see is that there are a bunch of goats in the northern part of each peninsula and near the northern trade route. The ice is a good idea, and I had actually wanted to do something like that, but couldn't figure out how. In AOE2 you were able to use shallows and ships could still go by as well as units. Couldn't find out how to do that here or if it can even be done. Problem with ice is that it is Sinai, which is in between israel/arabia and egypt XD would kind of hurt the map accuracy which seems so emphasized in the new maps.

I agree that for the sake of competitive play and map taking incentive there should only be 3 TPs in the northern route. One in the middle to incentivize controlling that area. But I will have to think about taking the ones out near the TCs
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I worked hard to find a way to build shallow terrain on AOE3, but as far as I know it's not possible, and that is in my opinion the biggest limit to map coding in this game. Nice map by the way.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Rikikipu wrote:I worked hard to find a way to build shallow terrain on AOE3, but as far as I know it's not possible, and that is in my opinion the biggest limit to map coding in this game. Nice map by the way.

That sucks, I never knew that's why there are never shallows in ESOC maps. So it's possible for the standard maps to have shallows, but not for custom maps?
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Oups, I may be not clear enough. I worked hard to find a breach in the game files to unlock the ability of having shallows in order to have it for EP (because game files would have to be modified, so the featured couldn't be used on RE). Sadly I haven't been able to find a solution, might be intersting to see if guys from the UHC could do something. The benefits would be really huge in terms of map design.