Tournament Rules and Information

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Tournament Rules and Information

Post by n0el »

***This tournament will be played on ESOC Patch! To install ESOC Patch and for more information, visit these links:

ESOC Patch Download
Patch Notes
FAQ

Time Line

Qualifiers
Group Stage (BO3)
September 5 - September 17

Round of 128
September 18 - September 24

Bracket Stages

Round of 64 (BO3)
September 25 - October 1

Round of 32 (BO5)
October 2 - October 8

Round of 16 (BO5)
October 9 - October 15

Round of 8 (BO7)
October 16 - October 22

Semi-Finals (BO7)
October 23 - October 30

Finals (BO9) - Bronze Match (BO7)
November 5th or 6th

Note: When necessary, the tournament staff may extend the deadline for any match if scheduling proves to be an issue. Depending on sign ups, number of rounds may change and timeline will adjust accordingly.

Prize Pool: $550 USD
Betting Prize Pool: $50 USD

A big thanks to all who donated! Especially Zuta, GamingViolinist, iwillspankyou, Goodspeed and Jerom.

Upon the tournament's conclusion, the prize pool will be divided as follows:

1st Place - $350
2nd Place - $150
3rd Place - $50
mad cuz bad
ESOC Business Team

Re: Tournament Rules and Information

Post by n0el »

Tournament Rules

Group Stage Rules

The group stage format will be Best-of-3 Round Robin. There are no civilization restrictions for the group stage. That means you can play any civ you like in any game of the series. Repeat civilizations is also allowed.

Map Pool:
1) ESOC Mendocino
2) ESOC Hudson Bay
3) ESOC Florida

All games must be played on ESOC Patch.
All games must be recorded, or they may be deemed invalid.
One reset per player per match. Resets are only valid before 2 minutes and only for map-related issues. Treasures are not a valid reason for reset.

At the end of the group stage, the top 2 players in each group will advance to the bracket stage.
In the event of a three way tie, the group outcome will be decided by a playoff on the last weekend of the group stage.

Civilization Restrictions

These civilization restrictions have the purpose to bring variety to the game series for the community.

Players will take turns picking civilizations first starting from Game 2.
For the first game of each series players must agree to a matchup. The winner of the first game will pick their civilization first in the following game, and players will take turns picking first for the remainder of the series.

You must play X different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time:

In a Best-of-3, you must play 2 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-5, you must play 3 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-7, you must play 4 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-9, you must play 5 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.

example for BO3: You must play 2 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization you want one more time.

Game 1 (Best-of-3)

Player A plays British
Player B plays French

Game 2 (Best-of-3)

Player A may not play British
Player B may not play French

Player A plays Dutch
Player B plays Russians

Game 3 (Best-of-3)

Player A may play any civilization (he may either pick British or Dutch)

Player B may play any civilization (he may either pick French or Russians)

Player A plays British
Player B plays Russians

example for BO5: You must play 3 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization (again) if you want.

Game 1 (Best-of-5)

Player A plays British
Player B plays French

Game 2 (Best-of-5)

Player A may NOT play British
Player B may NOT play French

Player A plays Dutch
Player B plays Russians

Game 3 (Best-of-5)

Player A may NOT play British or Dutch
Player B may NOT play French or Russians

Player A plays Germans
Player B plays Aztecs

Game 4 (Best-of-5)

Player A may play any civilization (Including British, Dutch, or Germans)
Player B may play any civilization (Including French, Russians, or Aztecs)

Player A plays Dutch
Player B plays Aztecs

Game 5 (Best-of-5)

Player A may play any civilization (Except Dutch)
Player B may play any civilization (Except Aztecs)

Player A plays French
Player B plays Japanese

Gameplay Rules

1.1 - Every player must respect their opponent, casters and organizers. Misbehavior will result in a warning and can lead into disqualification. Racism and/or insults will not be tolerated.

1.2 - Every game must be recorded.

1.3 - When a player disconnects from the internet BEFORE 2 minutes, the player can (when both agree) restart and replay the game. When the opponent does not agree to restart, the outcome of the game will be determined by the tournament staff.

1.4 - When a player disconnects AFTER 2 minutes, the players can (when both agree) restart and replay the game. When the opponent does not agree to restart, the player who lost connection will be given a loss.

1.5 - Every player may restart a game BEFORE the 2 minute mark when necessary. This is allowed ONCE per map when the game is NOT casted by an official caster. Restarts for CASTED games will be determined by the caster him/herself.

1.6 - The caster is allowed to restart a game as many times as necessary for optimal play.

1.7 - All games must be submitted to the "Tournament Record Games" forum.

1.8 - Recorded games must be renamed and posted to match the stickied post in the recorded games section.

1.9 - Players must be respectable to each other when selecting civilizations in a game. Players cannot intentionally change to unfair match-ups, or otherwise be difficult to agree to a match-up. The tournament staff reserves the right to two possible outcomes. 1. If only one player is deemed challenging, then that player will be forced to pick their civilization first. 2. If both players are disagreeable then blind pick will be enforced. This decision is made by the staff.

Casting Rules

2.1 - It is every players responsibility to work with tournament staff for the casting of games.

2.2 - If the players and caster(s) determine that a selected match cannot be streamed due to lag, in order to provide an optimal environment for competitive play, the match may be streamed from the replays instead.

2.3 - Only casters that have been authorized by the tournament staff will be permitted to stream matches.

2.4 - The players in casted matches will be required to schedule their matches with their opponents and with the authorized caster(s).

2.5 - All streamed games must have a time delay of 2 minutes.

2.6 - The tournament staff reserves the right to extend the deadline of the match if deemed appropriate.

2.7 - All tournament streamed matches must be recorded.

2.8 - No additional observers may be present in games.

Disqualification Rules

3.1 - All external exploits and game modification software are forbidden. The tournament administration reserves the right to disqualify a player for use of any exploits to gain an unfair advantage.

3.2 - Exploits include but are not limited to: Map Hacks, Trainers, Explorer Revival Glitch, OOS / Intentional Lag (Stacked downloads or other game crashing exploits), and mods (building rotator, zoom modification). Note: Although the building rotator mod is an add-on feature of the EP, it is strictly forbidden for use in tournament games.

3.3 - Use of these exploits is grounds for removal from the event.

3.4 - If you suspect your opponent has violated any of the player integrity rules, finish the game and submit it for review with an explanation of why you think the game was unfair. If the tournament staff members find someone to be guilty of cheating, the cheater will be disqualified from the tournament.

3.5 - The registered account name must be the main account of its owner for proper seeding.

3.6 - When a player is disqualified, he/she has no right to claim any prize money.

3.7 - A disqualification may only be committed if all tournament staff agrees.

3.8 - Use of the Chinese monastery tech "Training Reforms" is not allowed in the tournament. This tech is bugged and affects all units in certain circumstances so it has been removed.

3.9 - In cases where there is severe lag to the point where the playing and/or viewing experience is unusually burdened, the tournament administrators may intervene and grant an admin decision. In such cases, the following factors will be considered: ability to maintain connection, ping color in the game to opponent/streamer(s), and map loading time.
mad cuz bad
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

Who will be the tournament admins or has that been decided yet? I only really care because the last few tournaments have had their fair share of drama and I hope this tourny will have less. . .

I trust pretty much everyone on the admin team but just curious.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Mitoe, jerom, bram, Jim and myself
mad cuz bad
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

yeah, ban rotator mode because not everyone has a mouse wheel :uglylol:
maybe ban chatting as well as some may not possess a keyboard
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

the caster him/herself

female casters hype :flowers:
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag querty
Skirmisher

Post by querty »

Does the signup page work on mobile devices? I would sign in if i could...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

^@querty , yes, it works on mobiles.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

pecelot wrote:yeah, ban rotator mode because not everyone has a mouse wheel :uglylol:
Was that ever cited as a reason?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

zoom wrote:
pecelot wrote:yeah, ban rotator mode because not everyone has a mouse wheel :uglylol:
Was that ever cited as a reason?

No. It was banned because it noobifies the game and removes all walling (with buildings) skill. It's fine for casual play, hence the EP addon, but it's not fit for tournament play.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

How can it simplify the game? It's an inherent AoE3 feature that for some particular and widely unknown reason wasn't implemented to the game itself, apart from the scenario editor. It's absolutely illogical to ban it, especially now that it's in the EP launcher.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It is not an inherent AOE3 feature. AOE3 is meant to have fixed buildings, with all pros and cons of the case.
Image Image Image
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

pecelot wrote:How can it simplify the game? It's an inherent AoE3 feature that for some particular and widely unknown reason wasn't implemented to the game itself, apart from the scenario editor. It's absolutely illogical to ban it, especially now that it's in the EP launcher.

I understand that this may lead to frustration in the community, but in the end we concluded that the building rotator is not something that the tournament should feature. In the end all we'd do is allow a mod because it's popular. What's next, zoom?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:It is not an inherent AOE3 feature. AOE3 is meant to have fixed buildings, with all pros and cons of the case.
Garja wrote:Water and trade routes are made preminent in this game cause they were important historically. It's just how the game is meant to work.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Exactly, dunno what you find funny about that.
Image Image Image
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Even that one is lost on me.
mad cuz bad
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well I agree rotator mod should not be allowed in tourneys, but then it would be more logical if it wasn't included in the ep. I'd rather like it removed from ep completely. If we decide it's a stupid feature then it has no place on ep and that's it
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Garja wrote:It is not an inherent AOE3 feature. AOE3 is meant to have fixed buildings, with all pros and cons of the case.

AoC has squared building, AoE3 has been 3-dimentional since its release. Why would it be in the editor then? And do you really think that placing a stable in an awkward spot is a skill or it would just be better for everyone if it was rotatable?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

AOE3 works in tiles just like other RTS games (SC2 does as well). If you rotate a building by 45Ā° it changes the lenght of it for a specific dimension, giving an unfair advantage.
Why is it in the scenario editor? Because scenarios have rotated buildings for aesthetics?
do you really think that placing a stable in an awkward spot is a skill or it would just be better for everyone if it was rotatable?

It is not a skill, it is part of the game. The skill is to play around that. And no it isn't better if everyone could rotate because then you would have perfect building walls and even more defensive meta. The way this game is meant to work is so that if you have more units you should be able to use them to gain an advantage. The opponent has to spend resources to contrast it (walls, units, outposts or vill inside the TC).
Also buildings are simple not meant to fit every possible space in the map. A toshogu shrine is not meant to be parallel to the coast so that it stays within warship range for example. At the same time you're no supposed to dodge terrain restriction on bayou alike maps by rotating your buildings.
Image Image Image
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Garja wrote:AOE3 works in tiles just like other RTS games (SC2 does as well). If you rotate a building by 45Ā° it changes the lenght of it for a specific dimension, giving an unfair advantage.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, units path normally around rotated buildings. What unfair advantage is that?

Garja wrote:And no it isn't better if everyone could rotate because then you would have perfect building walls and even more defensive meta.

Sorry, but wtf man, it's been already in the EP for a couple of months, did you really notice any difference? I'm not arguing the rotator mod is necessary for competitive gaming, but it's more about the way of thinking behind banning it. If I happen to be in a situation like in 1 in 20 games when it would become useful, for instance when I'd like to rotate my stable to wall myself a bit better, I'd like to be able to use it. It's very insignificant, I can't deny, but why would you ban it then?

Garja wrote:Also buildings are simple not meant to fit every possible space in the map. A toshogu shrine is not meant to be parallel to the coast so that it stays within warship range for example. At the same time you're no supposed to dodge terrain restriction on bayou alike maps by rotating your buildings.

lol you sound like a very stubborn ultra-conservative architect. One hundred years ago you'd probably say: ā€žOne is not supposed to fly in the air". Are you really conceived that because of some random obstacles you should not be able to fit a building in a certain place? Let's make the game better and more smooth, not get stuck in a 2D world.
Switzerland chusik
Crossbow
ESO: Chusik

Post by chusik »

Hello fellow AoE3 mates/tournament staff, I have one question, compliments and a suggestion:

Question: If i get an opponent that obviously lags because he plays the game on a toaster and therefore my brave hussars somehow turn into chicken who stop attacking which leads into a loss, am I given the opportunity to restart the game as well? Or is this restart-option only for laggers who disconnect from the game?

You do great work and i highly appreciate all your time spent into these tournaments. Since my last tournament in 2013 (PK) it has changed a lot, and I like the ESO-Patch and therefore meta-changes as well. This tournament really makes me wanna play AoE3 again, although i will get crushed anyway, but at least my ottomans are not banned anymore (which was the reason i didnt play in other tournaments, made me sad)

This leads me to an Idea which could improve Tournament games:
since i stopped playing aoe3 regularly i started playing League of Legends, for those who don't know, it's the most competitive and largest game in the world at the moment. In League there is a "ban-system" which means, every team can ban certain champions (civilizations for aoe3).
So for example, every player could ban 1 Civilization from both players (himself too) to make a certain civ-pick stronger or for other strategic reason. tell me your thoughts about that.

have a nice tournament everyone :)

TL;DR: Question: Are laggers being punished for lagging?
Compliment: Great work everyone did with these tournaments
Suggestion: Having a Ban-System for tournament games
Legends say he's still laming bombards :hmm: :hmm:
[imgur][/imgur]
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

pecelot wrote:
Garja wrote:AOE3 works in tiles just like other RTS games (SC2 does as well). If you rotate a building by 45Ā° it changes the lenght of it for a specific dimension, giving an unfair advantage.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, units path normally around rotated buildings. What unfair advantage is that?

Garja wrote:And no it isn't better if everyone could rotate because then you would have perfect building walls and even more defensive meta.

Sorry, but wtf man, it's been already in the EP for a couple of months, did you really notice any difference? I'm not arguing the rotator mod is necessary for competitive gaming, but it's more about the way of thinking behind banning it. If I happen to be in a situation like in 1 in 20 games when it would become useful, for instance when I'd like to rotate my stable to wall myself a bit better, I'd like to be able to use it. It's very insignificant, I can't deny, but why would you ban it then?

Garja wrote:Also buildings are simple not meant to fit every possible space in the map. A toshogu shrine is not meant to be parallel to the coast so that it stays within warship range for example. At the same time you're no supposed to dodge terrain restriction on bayou alike maps by rotating your buildings.

lol you sound like a very stubborn ultra-conservative architect. One hundred years ago you'd probably say: ā€žOne is not supposed to fly in the air". Are you really conceived that because of some random obstacles you should not be able to fit a building in a certain place? Let's make the game better and more smooth, not get stuck in a 2D world.

People aren't meant to be flying, you idiot!
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I was supposed to reply to that but honestly this is like the 3rd time or so on this site that we discuss the rotator thing so cba.
Rotator doesn't make the game better.
Image Image Image
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, you're right, I thought you guys finally came to a logical agreement and implemented the mod in the EP launcher, but now, all of a sudden, it's banned again. I kinda cba to argue about that again, as I mentioned this issue a couple of times here already, but really, what's wrong with such an insignificant improvement that fits this 3D game perfectly?
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

The rotator mod really isn't gonna cause issues. Heck, it's actually bad for competitive play IMO since you can't shift-click with it. Seriously, when was the last time that you said "damn rotator mod, if only that building wasn't rotated 45Ā° i could have won the match?" If anything it's an added level to the game that increases the skill cap. It can also help deal with some BS like India being unviable on certain maps simply due to their Agra being easily blocked (see Mendocino, where 20w of wall segments can make centre Agra placement impossible which basically auto-wins alot of MUs).

I get that the current ruleset has been decided upon already, but for the next event I'd like to see the rotator mod allowed, or at least some testing done with it to look for any game breaking usage.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP