Can't win one game

United States of America mwhit6
Crossbow
ESO: mwhit6

Can't win one game

Post by mwhit6 »

I've been running Portugal and Germans in some NR treaty games (TAD) but every time, no matter a 2v2 or 3v3, I end up getting screwed because either the enemy is able to spam units my teammates refuse to adapt to, or some BS happens like a horde of OPrichniks rushing into my eco after a corridor of walls is broken through. Today alone I've been unable to beat 2 3v3 nr55s wherein there was an enemy team of Ottos, Germans, and Dutch, which were unbeatable due to German's 139 pop eco boosting the Dutch guy who just spammed skirms and Ruyters endlessly, with the Otto guy spamming abus guns and cav archers, making my dragoons, muskets, and casadors all useless, as my teammates spammed Cuirassiers endlessly. The next game where I played Germans I was up against Otto, Spanish, and British, and my Japanese and Chinese teammates both contributed next to nothing, and much too late to have any effect. I had the most units made with 650 out of my 900 units being skirms, and I couldn't do crap because the endless wall of Turkish artillery, Janissaries, Spanish and British muskets, and HORDES of Spanish Lancers that just ate even my doppelsoldners up. The Spanish guy got Lancers through our walls and took out my whole eco and it was over. This exact same business seems to happen every game I play, and before I left years ago I'd played probably a few hundred vanilla NR games, with a winrate probably down in the single digit %, but I've always had the highest or second highest score and unit production/units killed on the team.

Should I just give up Portugal and Germany and try something new/more OP?
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Re: Can't win one game

Post by martinspjuth »

The skill varry a lot on your lvl, so getting good team mates are just up to luck. I would therefor suggest playing mainly 1v1 untill you got your rank up a bit.

Some other tips concerning your own skill:
1. Stay with one civ (port/german are just fine) until you reach at least master sergeant.
2. Read the guides in the treaty section here on the forum.
3. Start using hotkeys and control groups.
4. Copy better players decks, ask them why they do what they do etc.
5. Watch games from better players, from twitch/youtube or recorded games.
https://www.twitch.tv/conquerer999
https://www.twitch.tv/lukas_l99
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWHyZf ... shelf_id=0
are some good places to start for that. You can also just search for it on youtube.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Are you using enough artillery? If you're lower level this is usually what makes a big difference; identifying what your team's win condition is (do you out-eco or out-army) and adapting artillery use to that. If you out-eco you just need to have enough culvs to keep their morts and anti-inf cannons down; if you out-army but lose eco you need to make a concentrated effort to push with mortars.

Also as I understand (i don't play nr55 mind you) NR40 is more enjoyable to play and has a higher skillcap. I might try more of that if I was you.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

mwhit6 wrote:I've been running Portugal and Germans in some NR treaty games (TAD) but every time, no matter a 2v2 or 3v3, I end up getting screwed because either the enemy is able to spam units my teammates refuse to adapt to, or some BS happens like a horde of OPrichniks rushing into my eco after a corridor of walls is broken through. Today alone I've been unable to beat 2 3v3 nr55s wherein there was an enemy team of Ottos, Germans, and Dutch, which were unbeatable due to German's 139 pop eco boosting the Dutch guy who just spammed skirms and Ruyters endlessly, with the Otto guy spamming abus guns and cav archers, making my dragoons, muskets, and casadors all useless, as my teammates spammed Cuirassiers endlessly. The next game where I played Germans I was up against Otto, Spanish, and British, and my Japanese and Chinese teammates both contributed next to nothing, and much too late to have any effect. I had the most units made with 650 out of my 900 units being skirms, and I couldn't do crap because the endless wall of Turkish artillery, Janissaries, Spanish and British muskets, and HORDES of Spanish Lancers that just ate even my doppelsoldners up. The Spanish guy got Lancers through our walls and took out my whole eco and it was over. This exact same business seems to happen every game I play, and before I left years ago I'd played probably a few hundred vanilla NR games, with a winrate probably down in the single digit %, but I've always had the highest or second highest score and unit production/units killed on the team.

Yeah this happens when u play with random people , I think it's a waste playing nr55 for learning or improving , play supremacy it will help u improve a lot , starting with Germans and ports is bad , start learning from France , if u learn to play France in supremacy , then u can learn other civs easily , try to use hotkeys , have a good mouse , read guides , improve ur micro etc , at this point of time , learning is easier as there are alot of materials available here than in 2011 , so learn to play France first , watch YouTube video editor from venividiviciw and interjection , etc. Gl!.
:nwc:
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Yeah this happens when u play with random people , I think it's a waste playing nr55 for learning or improving , play supremacy it will help u improve a lot , starting with Germans and ports is bad , start learning from France , if u learn to play France in supremacy , then u can learn other civs easily , try to use hotkeys , have a good mouse , read guides , improve ur micro etc , at this point of time , learning is easier as there are alot of materials available here than in 2011 , so learn to play France first , watch YouTube video editor from venividiviciw and interjection , etc. Gl!.

I've played every civ there is, I've been with aoe since 2008, I don't know if German are just bad at rush games, or if Ports are bad for rush, or if I just can't play, France, Russia, and Japan are plain OP so I refuse to play them, I've watched a bunch of YouTube from good players and copied their decks and build orders but I just can't not get facerolled every time
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

mwhit6 wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:Yeah this happens when u play with random people , I think it's a waste playing nr55 for learning or improving , play supremacy it will help u improve a lot , starting with Germans and ports is bad , start learning from France , if u learn to play France in supremacy , then u can learn other civs easily , try to use hotkeys , have a good mouse , read guides , improve ur micro etc , at this point of time , learning is easier as there are alot of materials available here than in 2011 , so learn to play France first , watch YouTube video editor from venividiviciw and interjection , etc. Gl!.

I've played every civ there is, I've been with aoe since 2008, I don't know if German are just bad at rush games, or if Ports are bad for rush, or if I just can't play, France, Russia, and Japan are plain OP so I refuse to play them, I've watched a bunch of YouTube from good players and copied their decks and build orders but I just can't not get facerolled every time

Be patience and learn slowly , record the game so u can see what mistakes u r doing and note in notepad or word , and it doesn't matter from high year u play , if u play efficiently u can learn easily , I just play 1 month a year and reached PR 25 in the 2 nd year.... :P
:nwc:
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

martinspjuth wrote:The skill varry a lot on your lvl, so getting good team mates are just up to luck. I would therefor suggest playing mainly 1v1 untill you got your rank up a bit.

Some other tips concerning your own skill:
1. Stay with one civ (port/german are just fine) until you reach at least master sergeant.
2. Read the guides in the treaty section here on the forum.
3. Start using hotkeys and control groups.
4. Copy better players decks, ask them why they do what they do etc.
5. Watch games from better players, from twitch/youtube or recorded games.
https://www.twitch.tv/conquerer999
https://www.twitch.tv/lukas_l99
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWHyZf ... shelf_id=0
are some good places to start for that. You can also just search for it on youtube.

I've been trying 1v1s in hopes of ranking up but I just lose game after game, been trying Ottomans which I've been finding easier to play, but every single 1v1 somebody is either Russian, French, Iroquois, or Japanese and I get smashed, only time I do ok is if they're none of those civs or also Ottoman. I'm really getting the feeling I'm too retarded for this game

-I'd like to add, all the suggestions about hotkeys are moot, I know every single unit hotkey and only idiots don't Crtl+# masses of units for micro control
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

mwhit6 wrote:only idiots don't Crtl+# masses of units for micro control

Players usually group only culverins (and buildings ofc)
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

mwhit6 wrote:I've been trying 1v1s in hopes of ranking up but I just lose game after game, been trying Ottomans which I've been finding easier to play, but every single 1v1 somebody is either Russian, French, Iroquois, or Japanese and I get smashed, only time I do ok is if they're none of those civs or also Ottoman. I'm really getting the feeling I'm too retarded for this game

Ottoman is one of the weakest civs in treaty. So it is not strange if you have been losing a lot, especially vs France, Russia and Japan since they are the strongest civs in treaty, the so called OP civs.
My suggestion is to play France whenever someone else goes France/Russia/Japan and go Portugal vs all other civs. France is easy to learn and will help you fight the other OP civs, Portugal is easy to learn and is quite good (although not OP) and will help you actually improve your skill.

As already stated you should record your games as well, then watch them to see what you think you are doing wrong, and maybe watch the other guy and see what you can learn from him. You could also post one of your recs here and maybe some1 can watch it and give you some more personal tips.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

mwhit6 wrote:I've been running Portugal and Germans in some NR treaty games (TAD) but every time, no matter a 2v2 or 3v3, I end up getting screwed because either the enemy is able to spam units my teammates refuse to adapt to, or some BS happens like a horde of OPrichniks rushing into my eco after a corridor of walls is broken through. Today alone I've been unable to beat 2 3v3 nr55s wherein there was an enemy team of Ottos, Germans, and Dutch, which were unbeatable due to German's 139 pop eco boosting the Dutch guy who just spammed skirms and Ruyters endlessly, with the Otto guy spamming abus guns and cav archers, making my dragoons, muskets, and casadors all useless, as my teammates spammed Cuirassiers endlessly. The next game where I played Germans I was up against Otto, Spanish, and British, and my Japanese and Chinese teammates both contributed next to nothing, and much too late to have any effect. I had the most units made with 650 out of my 900 units being skirms, and I couldn't do crap because the endless wall of Turkish artillery, Janissaries, Spanish and British muskets, and HORDES of Spanish Lancers that just ate even my doppelsoldners up. The Spanish guy got Lancers through our walls and took out my whole eco and it was over. This exact same business seems to happen every game I play, and before I left years ago I'd played probably a few hundred vanilla NR games, with a winrate probably down in the single digit %, but I've always had the highest or second highest score and unit production/units killed on the team.

come play with me and googol_op we will help u. teams are the key to ranking up.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
United States of America dthrill_08
Musketeer
ESO: dthrill

Post by dthrill_08 »

martinspjuth wrote:
mwhit6 wrote:I've been trying 1v1s in hopes of ranking up but I just lose game after game, been trying Ottomans which I've been finding easier to play, but every single 1v1 somebody is either Russian, French, Iroquois, or Japanese and I get smashed, only time I do ok is if they're none of those civs or also Ottoman. I'm really getting the feeling I'm too retarded for this game

Ottoman is one of the weakest civs in treaty. So it is not strange if you have been losing a lot, especially vs France, Russia and Japan since they are the strongest civs in treaty, the so called OP civs.
My suggestion is to play France whenever someone else goes France/Russia/Japan and go Portugal vs all other civs. France is easy to learn and will help you fight the other OP civs, Portugal is easy to learn and is quite good (although not OP) and will help you actually improve your skill.

As already stated you should record your games as well, then watch them to see what you think you are doing wrong, and maybe watch the other guy and see what you can learn from him. You could also post one of your recs here and maybe some1 can watch it and give you some more personal tips.

I disagree, when I play Ottoman I actually have a pretty good economy. I just struggle with producing Janissaries. They are so slow to train.
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

dthrill_08 wrote:
martinspjuth wrote:

I disagree, when I play Ottoman I actually have a pretty good economy. I just struggle with producing Janissaries. They are so slow to train.

You disagree with what? Ofc you struggle with producing Janissaries, it is one of the reasons Otto is quite bad. You should make more hussars, cavalry archers and abus guns. Also note that this is about Treaty on TAD, not on vanilla. (Btw, you should get TAD if you like NR/TR, it is much better and have more players :biggrin:)
Musketeer

Post by dthrill_08 »

I disagree with them being a weak treaty. I do mix Hussars, Calvary Archers and Abus. But the back bone is Janissaries. I have considered it but I don't like new things lol. I am afraid of change. I can actually find many matches on Vanilla tho. It usually takes maybe 5-8minutes. We get 700+ players online. I did buy the pack of 3 on Steam (Vanilla, WC and TAD).
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

Well idk how strong/weak otto is on Vanilla. But in TAD, they are 1 of the weaker treaty civs. No doubt about it, at least on higher lvl of play.
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

No in terms of 1v1s I mean rush games, sorry for the confusion. I would never play Ottos in treaty, their eco is trash
Musketeer

Post by dthrill_08 »

mwhit6 wrote:No in terms of 1v1s I mean rush games, sorry for the confusion. I would never play Ottos in treaty, their eco is trash

I just played my first TAD with Ottoman on a 40min Treaty and I was 2nd in resources. I hate TAD tho.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

dthrill_08 wrote:I hate TAD tho.

i like your attitude.
nilla scrubs unite!
Musketeer

Post by dthrill_08 »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

i like your attitude.
nilla scrubs unite!

I don't like that I can't build walls anywhere, we are limited to where we can go on the map and it just feels weird. Have you ever played vanilla?
Lancer

dthrill_08 wrote:
AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

i like your attitude.
nilla scrubs unite!

Have you ever played vanilla?

i have heard legends about the mystery land called "nilla", where spain is actually a good civ, where skirms dont counter heavy inf and where noobish tad 2lt/1lt scrubs like me can easily reach pr30+ levels. THE PROMISED LAND INDEED!! ..too scared though i am to make this dangerous journey to a place where no iro lamers reign the quicksearch, where not a single 3v3 random is played on deccan and where smurfing is unnecessary because everybody sucks, sadly too scared though i am......
Musketeer

Post by dthrill_08 »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:i have heard legends about the mystery land called "nilla", where spain is actually a good civ, where skirms dont counter heavy inf and where noobish tad 2lt/1lt scrubs like me can easily reach pr30+ levels. THE PROMISED LAND INDEED!! ..too scared though i am to make this dangerous journey to a place where no iro lamers reign the quicksearch, where not a single 3v3 random is played on deccan and where smurfing is unnecessary because everybody sucks, sadly too scared though i am......

Ok.... so you haven't played Vanilla? Lol. Spain is actually not bad in Vanilla. I am sure they are much better in TAD with Unction.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'm pretty sure he did, and I'm pretty sure you should give TAD one more shot ;)
Lancer

dthrill_08 wrote:
AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:i have heard legends about the mystery land called "nilla", where spain is actually a good civ, where skirms dont counter heavy inf and where noobish tad 2lt/1lt scrubs like me can easily reach pr30+ levels. THE PROMISED LAND INDEED!! ..too scared though i am to make this dangerous journey to a place where no iro lamers reign the quicksearch, where not a single 3v3 random is played on deccan and where smurfing is unnecessary because everybody sucks, sadly too scared though i am......

Ok.... so you haven't played Vanilla? Lol. Spain is actually not bad in Vanilla. I am sure they are much better in TAD with Unction.

yeah nah buddy im playing since late 2005, i have wasted years of my lifespan on nilla alone :P
anyway, here is a tutorial video about sarcasm, it has helped me very much:
phpBB [video]
No Flag agentyoyo
Skirmisher

Post by agentyoyo »

what do you play rush and treaty?
play and play. its not about the war its about having fun, learning and fulfilling yourself. feel good at the end w what you contributed, did. i have 42 win%, i suck. i lose like every game. set your schedule out for play time. you may want to do 80% twitch(Lukas, Dicktator), youtube (thecometk, storm, eagle, _pi, siouxking). and 20% play. ive asked for running matches, matches similar to what we play in the lower skill range so i can learn how to counter. thats why ive mentioned these guys, very good guys, and youll see (when there focused) super awareness and quick reaction and liking checking"". how often do you check hotspots and potential hot spots the map, are preemptive. im not talking about minimap. dont let losing bother you to the point where it takes away something you love/like. dont let losing f up your day too many times +1 more time. +1 may make you quit. too many times may be the # of times you need to learn something, meet someone, before the tide turns and all the info you have and learned just comes together. your fondation is formed and (dried?) ready and you end up playing like a mini "Luke, Dictator, Comet, Storm, _PI, Eagle", apprentice, padowan(replicated styles, ocds, movements). A mini 2LT, a mini 1Lt, MS, and demolish the next opponent. Thats what happened to me, now im an x factor, normally i am not my actual rank. i play lower skill. sometimes im focused and play at my ms level/2lt. you got to study, and keep pushing. play however the f you want, understand people are going to try to win. it is your choice to have principles. sometimes their cool, sometimes their dumb, play however you fing want. prepare yourself to allow yourself to play that way. wall more, tittle your games no run, formal battle, get quicker""(beter is quicker), watch a mentors game before you play(warmup, see the level at which the game can be played, and now thats your guide, anything less is - not as good but im trying and will get better, it allows you the oppertunity to not get lulled into your skill range), friend people and play with them, if your friendly w people in the lobby they may not run on you, something i dont want you to stop doing is give up on the random world, bc its making you experienced. your like a street baller vs normal bball. theres a diff. all the fouls, and runners, and quick eco loss, lead loss, teammate inadequacies will become normal for you. right now its shaping you. if you allow it, to give you a bunch of scratches, to create your wings with sharp utensils, or in a dirty factory, or in a windy environment, or stormy or desolate non windy environment, you will have a callasized body and wings that can and is used and was made to fly ok with f up and messing feathers. this is golden oppertunity, it happens alot, but it still is a golden oppertunity. oh, and if only play once a week, accept the pros and cons of that. watch, listen to twitch and youtube. ive been wanting a list of people who still play so they can connect w each other and schedule games, etc. and ive been thinking about asking if sometimes people can narrate their vids so we can listen to on the go. if you watch enough games, eco, fights, you can similate what they say in your mind. and once your doing that, thats like secret training, your mind will awaken, and now your entering fights w possible paths and sceneraios the enemy will take, if you do this-they do this-lower skill does this-high skill does this, and its a circle itll help with losing to running, not paying attention in random moments, etc. you can also take a break, 3 months, watch twitch/youtube after a month and become enthuastic w wanting to play agin, idc if i lose i just want to play imma do my best. aoe lets go
No Flag agentyoyo
Skirmisher

Post by agentyoyo »

lower skill have few options, yes many throw their eco in your face. its disadvantageous to you bc you want o conserve your res until needed. turn it into an advatage. say they run a box (1v1) fight w some(and as you get experienced use less and less for it) and keep some army in his face(at base or just on the outskirts of his line of sight ready to hit(threaten). if he doesnt fb for his run he will drain, then once failed he will not fb again and drain to get back to the army near his bace(just outside los). im using skirm w dopps, in stead of skirm goon bc wwagons are 3 pop vs dopp 2pop, splitting. use your walls, use more units 1 pop skirm with 1 or 2 heavy art and a litle bit/some/enough melee/goon waiting to protect. ride the wave, wait till he loses intensity, then; fb, over mil pop, split 3 way. keep off balance, keep him reacting to you. which is what their doing to you. fighting you w eco, draining here, here, and here until your limited 200 pop army cont react and you take a vital blow and start downhill. it wins games. however certain skill levels almost always get over it (oh, i learned, dont use all your army in fight if you dont need to, have some around map, make markets for los)
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

agentyoyo wrote:what do you play rush and treaty?
play and play. its not about the war its about having fun, learning and fulfilling yourself. feel good at the end w what you contributed, did. i have 42 win%, i suck. i lose like every game. set your schedule out for play time. you may want to do 80% twitch(Lukas, Dicktator), youtube (thecometk, storm, eagle, _pi, siouxking). and 20% play. ive asked for running matches, matches similar to what we play in the lower skill range so i can learn how to counter. thats why ive mentioned these guys, very good guys, and youll see (when there focused) super awareness and quick reaction and liking checking"". how often do you check hotspots and potential hot spots the map, are preemptive. im not talking about minimap. dont let losing bother you to the point where it takes away something you love/like. dont let losing f up your day too many times +1 more time. +1 may make you quit. too many times may be the # of times you need to learn something, meet someone, before the tide turns and all the info you have and learned just comes together. your fondation is formed and (dried?) ready and you end up playing like a mini "Luke, Dictator, Comet, Storm, _PI, Eagle", apprentice, padowan(replicated styles, ocds, movements). A mini 2LT, a mini 1Lt, MS, and demolish the next opponent. Thats what happened to me, now im an x factor, normally i am not my actual rank. i play lower skill. sometimes im focused and play at my ms level/2lt. you got to study, and keep pushing. play however the f you want, understand people are going to try to win. it is your choice to have principles. sometimes their cool, sometimes their dumb, play however you fing want. prepare yourself to allow yourself to play that way. wall more, tittle your games no run, formal battle, get quicker""(beter is quicker), watch a mentors game before you play(warmup, see the level at which the game can be played, and now thats your guide, anything less is - not as good but im trying and will get better, it allows you the oppertunity to not get lulled into your skill range), friend people and play with them, if your friendly w people in the lobby they may not run on you, something i dont want you to stop doing is give up on the random world, bc its making you experienced. your like a street baller vs normal bball. theres a diff. all the fouls, and runners, and quick eco loss, lead loss, teammate inadequacies will become normal for you. right now its shaping you. if you allow it, to give you a bunch of scratches, to create your wings with sharp utensils, or in a dirty factory, or in a windy environment, or stormy or desolate non windy environment, you will have a callasized body and wings that can and is used and was made to fly ok with f up and messing feathers. this is golden oppertunity, it happens alot, but it still is a golden oppertunity. oh, and if only play once a week, accept the pros and cons of that. watch, listen to twitch and youtube. ive been wanting a list of people who still play so they can connect w each other and schedule games, etc. and ive been thinking about asking if sometimes people can narrate their vids so we can listen to on the go. if you watch enough games, eco, fights, you can similate what they say in your mind. and once your doing that, thats like secret training, your mind will awaken, and now your entering fights w possible paths and sceneraios the enemy will take, if you do this-they do this-lower skill does this-high skill does this, and its a circle itll help with losing to running, not paying attention in random moments, etc. you can also take a break, 3 months, watch twitch/youtube after a month and become enthuastic w wanting to play agin, idc if i lose i just want to play imma do my best. aoe lets go

make a thread :P
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk