How to deal with flankers?

India boks
Crossbow
ESO: boks_

How to deal with flankers?

Post by boks »

I usually play as Japan.
All my losses so far have been because enemy flanks with high siege units and gets in my eco.
I only play team games so its usually some person I am not fighting who flanks.
By the time I delete my main army and arrive to deal with flank,usually 1-2 layers of walls are gone and in team games I only manage to get 4 layers of walls before I run out of space.
My army usually can't kill them off before they destroy all walls and make a beeline for eco.
Last time I played,opponent came with 12 flail elephants and destroyed all my wonders.
Should I keep some army in my base to deal with flanks?
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Re: How to deal with flankers?

Post by jesus3 »

usually you should scout your opponents armies and if they don't show and position it before the treaty ends, it's already fishy and your alarm clock bell should ring. Even more so if that opponent is russian, sioux or india (maybe otto if you consider Jans building an art foundary everywhere to then spam mortars) who really like to attempt an early base attack with boxes or elephants plus cease fire. Ideally be wary of what you're going to fight against and have your army consist of mobile units. If that's not possible and you can't trust your mate on handling it, let a few mobile units stay in your base, ideally overpop that doesnt cost actual pop like natives.
General rule for basebuilding: have your mate build at least some stables in your base to spam cav if necessary and vice versa, if you fear an early base attack wall more thoroughly. Additionally, you can position your sentries/irregulars/Minutemen at the half map line to gain vision of what's happening so you can react faster.

Hope I was able to help
India boks
Crossbow

Post by boks »

Positioning minutemen along the map is a good idea.I usually play 3vs3 so its hard to keep track of all armies at same time and sometimes opponents like to keep army inside base.I think I ll just keep 25 ashi in base from now on.
Switzerland glorious_
Dragoon
ESO: Revan

Post by glorious_ »

or positon single wall pieces on your side so you see when they are coming. It is as well great against incoming raids because you see the cav early.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

boks wrote:Positioning minutemen along the map is a good idea.I usually play 3vs3 so its hard to keep track of all armies at same time and sometimes opponents like to keep army inside base.I think I ll just keep 25 ashi in base from now on.

rather go for yabusame imo, they're faster to react with and better to catch other cav with. you can still hold your original position with 90pop for some time. With Yabusame, you can even intercept before the threat reaches you
India boks
Crossbow

Post by boks »

Aren't their stats bad compared to goons?I also don't have space for yabusame upgrade cards in deck.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

you just have to intercept and weaken the base attack, for that they still do their job and they mostly won't get attacked back since the opponents main objective is your base - if he turns against your yabusame, they've already done plenty since you've gained more time to react

but ofc you're free to handle the situation as you like and if you're more comfortable with ashi in your base then go for that
India howaboutno1945
Crossbow
ESO: howaboutno1945

Post by howaboutno1945 »

If its melee siege cav,like opri/flail elephants/dog soldiers,i.e your opponent is rus/india/Sioux,just put 5 hatamoto samurai behind walls.Any no. of cavalry he sends will be useless.If its enemy artillery,then have your teammates build a stable,few cav from all three should do the job.
India howaboutno1945
Crossbow
ESO: howaboutno1945

Post by howaboutno1945 »

Hatamoto's are quite fun to use versus opri and gendarmes spammers who don't understand what's happening.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Yeah having LoS on HM at 40 then walling the map so that you can see anything that’s coming is the best way to deal with that kind of stuff. Also some military buildings in base not just behind your outer walls but inside your eco as well so that if your opponent runs in your eco you can react really fast. There was a game I lost recently where one stable in my eco would’ve saved me. But if you’re constantly having to deal with flanks that aren’t from your opponent but from your teammate’s opponents you’re probably getting unlucky with teams. Don’t hesitate to ping if you need help.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds: