Start army artillery in treaty?

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I've noticed that in treaty, people often make ridiculous amounts of artillery, like 8 culverins and 6 rockets in start army with british. Isn't this very abusable by your enemy? What if he knows youre going to do this and he makes no artillery? Then all of a sudden your 8 culvs become 40 useless pop. He could just make a lot of hussars and hide them and crush you, can't he? And eve if he doesn't hide them well, if you already made your start army and then you notice a bunch of hussars instead of your useless culverins, you still can't really do anything. Even if you delete your culverins to make more anticav, you will be over 200 popso you need to delete more stuff like mm too and then you will have a start army of only 200 pop.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

I have noticed that most people try to have atleast 4 culverins all the time.

I think it would be better to start with 2 falconets and 2 culverins and then add artillery if necessarily and after the first fight ad 1-2 mortars to takeout buildings.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag dicktator
Skirmisher

Post by dicktator »

Brits can mass more artillery than other civs. This is because rockets do decent damage against cav (compared to other art) and Brit musk are quite strong. Briits can probably beat a full Huss army with their standard 6 rocket 8 culv army by putting musk in melee.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

dicktator wrote:Brits can mass more artillery than other civs. This is because rockets do decent damage against cav (compared to other art) and Brit musk are quite strong. Briits can probably beat a full Huss army with their standard 6 rocket 8 culv army by putting musk in melee.
What about other civs? I think port also make like 6 culvs
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag dicktator
Skirmisher

Post by dicktator »

ovi12 wrote:
dicktator wrote:Brits can mass more artillery than other civs. This is because rockets do decent damage against cav (compared to other art) and Brit musk are quite strong. Briits can probably beat a full Huss army with their standard 6 rocket 8 culv army by putting musk in melee.
What about other civs? I think port also make like 6 culvs

Port start armies vary a lot, sometimes I go culv organ musk, sometimes I go cass goon culv organ, sometimes I go full cass Huss, sometimes I go semi full cass Huss with a few culvs and/or organs mixed. Brits are the only civ that should be making more or less the same start army every game.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Artillery trains slowly, so if you're down on art you are going to lose the fight pretty badly. If you are down on units you can quickly spam new units to make up for it. Might not be super cost effective, but you can then take map control early on.

Not sure if any of that is correct, but I feel like thats the general idea behind it.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

If he has full hussars just hide your artillery behind walls, problem solved... And you don't have full art, you have anticav as well.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

If he doesn't make culverins, then he is screwed in the long run. No culverins means the Brit can hit him with rockets and mortars without him being able to respond appropriately. Good players know this, and put a lot of effort into winning the artillery fight. Generally, the guy who wins the artillery fight ends up winning the game.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag v1pus
Skirmisher

Post by v1pus »

If you have more culvs / art remaining after the first battle then your in fine shape to hold while making FB or take nats / push.

Very important to maintain culvs because you wouldn't want to let your opponent have a unit which can kill multiple units at once.