In a treaty game, how many layers of walls should you have?

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

glenoidfossa wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:[span style="font-size:12pt'"]It depends on what treaty you are playing In no treaty make no walls, in Nr10 make 10, in Nr20 make 20, In nr30 make 30, in nr40 make 40 and in nr55 make 55. In case you dont have enough space consider deleting your plantations, houses, mills, factories etc. They are all useless if you cant protect them, however dont delete your start tc as you wont be able to build anymore in treaty not a issue in nr55 after 40 though.

[spoiler]{Please Read This}Dont get trolled.[/spoiler]

[/span]
Retard
Its an op logic.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Less than kynesie in supremacy
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

over 9000
Image Image Image
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Kynesie don't need walls, walls need kynesie.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

garja wrote:over 9000

Not sure there''s enough room for that
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

calmyourtits wrote:How is the answer not "as many as possible"?

because walls do have some cost, mostly the gates, because more walls wont necessarily be more useful, because more walls means the distance from your unit production to the outer walls is somewhat long, because more walls will screw up the pathing of your units even more. You dont need as many walls if your opponent isnt a running civ.
No Flag charlemagen
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: Charlemagen

Post by charlemagen »

jerom wrote:
because walls do have some cost, mostly the gates, because more walls wont necessarily be more useful, because more walls means the distance from your unit production to the outer walls is somewhat long, because more walls will screw up the pathing of your units even more. You dont need as many walls if your opponent isnt a running civ.

all Civs are running Civs
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

charlemagen wrote:
jerom wrote:because walls do have some cost, mostly the gates, because more walls wont necessarily be more useful, because more walls means the distance from your unit production to the outer walls is somewhat long, because more walls will screw up the pathing of your units even more. You dont need as many walls if your opponent isnt a running civ.
all Civs are running Civs

what do you mean by "running" civ
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

another good walling strat for some maps is to make your walls sort of pac man/ crescent moon shaped. placing your FB outside of your walls in the part closest the the big fight, then walling behind it. but on your flanks your walls go as far out as you can leaving space inside for interior defenses. place towers at edge of the mouth. This gives you a lot of defense. and offense capability. Walls are really important not just for your base but afterwards to claim territory, wall spam often wins even if you militarily are winning. get the building rotator mod you will love it. then tightly pack your base for optimal room. 4-5 walls to start is good. plenty of room for that and millitary barracks. just dont waste space.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

also, look up thecometk wall building video on youtube to learn how to correctly delete pillars. this will allow you to make walls at almost half the cost and half the time before the main battle begins. then just wall normally.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

also if your walls are too close together then splash damage from mortars and cannon can take out 2 layers at once so give a reasonable space between. always attack the pillar of a wall if they have them so 2 segments go down vs 1 segment and 2 pillars.
No Flag charlemagen
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: Charlemagen

Post by charlemagen »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
charlemagen wrote:all Civs are running Civs

what do you mean by "running" civ
all civs can run
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

charlemagen wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:what do you mean by "running" civ
all civs can run

with walls I specifucally meant walls around your base, the pre fighting walls. Afyer the treaty you want to wall up the entire map yeah, but even then more than two layers seems overkill to me.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

jerom wrote:
Yep, always wanted to explain this to the ear, could never think of a way to say it.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

the cost is negligible vs what they provide. (maybe 700 per layer?) you really only need a few path ways out of your base unless your enemy jumps sides then you can make more gates. The distance traveled can be fixed the way I described in earlier post yet still keep a healthy wall set. more walls also screw up enemy pathing if they are trying to get in. its easy to get through a holes in 2 walls, much more difficult if there are 4 or 5, the hole must be bigger. If i get to siege twice as many walls and make a bigger hole in the same time I have to get through 4 layers I'm going to be very happy. Giving you more time to get your army together or recuperate resources if u went out on something.
Retired Contributor

It hardly costs 200(including gates) per layer lol.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:It hardly costs 200(including gates) per layer lol.

200 pays for four gates..... There''s no possible way one layer costs 200 unless you just have one or maybe two gates which seems pretty stupid to me especially relative to how little 50 wood actually is when you''re dealing with resources in the 10 thousands.......
Retired Contributor

gibson wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:It hardly costs 200(including gates) per layer lol.
200 pays for four gates..... Theres no possible way one layer costs 200 unless you just have one or maybe two gates which seems pretty stupid to me especially relative to how little 50 wood actually is when youre dealing with resources in the 10 thousands...
20 sections 2 gates is enough per layer of wall you only need more gates on the most front wall which is just behind fb so units dont get stuck.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think it takes about 40 tiles to make a wall (if u delete post), which is about 200, then several gates....
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:
gibson wrote:200 pays for four gates..... Theres no possible way one layer costs 200 unless you just have one or maybe two gates which seems pretty stupid to me especially relative to how little 50 wood actually is when youre dealing with resources in the 10 thousands...
20 sections 2 gates is enough per layer of wall you only need more gates on the most front wall which is just behind fb so units dont get stuck.

Im really pretty sure 20 sections is definitly not enough for a full layer even with deleting pillars and 2 gates is definitly not enough.....
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

its 40 sections. i think this because when i do select all for deletion its less than 50 and i think i remember seeing 36. then thats like 10 gates. thats a lot
Retired Contributor

gibson wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:20 sections 2 gates is enough per layer of wall you only need more gates on the most front wall which is just behind fb so units dont get stuck.
Im really pretty sure 20 sections is definitly not enough for a full layer even with deleting pillars and 2 gates is definitly not enough.....
[attachment id="2231" thumbnail="1"] 23 at the max possible limit add a couple more which i couldnt wall cuz of trees so 25-27 for outermost layer its usually smaller that this in team games. Making more than 2 gates is dumb only thing that moves is villagers why would u need more gates in 1v1 at max3 1 on each side and one in center in team 2 are fine.
Attachments
Wall.PNG
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

thanks for testing that princeofcarthage!average 27sections x5 wood is 135 wood for wall and then a couple gates makes walls very affordable. you don't want to look like your winning getting though their base just to find out he went to the side snuck in a few vills and has 10 mortars or dopps about to counter strike for base trade because you didn't wall enough.
Retired Contributor

howlingwolfpaw wrote:thanks for testing that princeofcarthage! 20 average 27x5 is 135 wood for wall and then a couple gates makes walls very affordable. you don''t want to look like your winning getting though their base just to find out he went to the side and had 10 mortars or dopps about to counter strike for base trade because you didn''t wall enough.
urm? I do no not understand what you want to say.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

what dont you understand? i made a few changes to try to make it clearer