Why is NR so popular in aoe3?

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Why is NR so popular in aoe3?

Post by sdsanft »

What about aoe3 makes NR so popular compared to other rts games? I know aoe2 Sort of has NR games in the form of black forest but I've never really seen anything else like rd in any other rts. What makes aoe3 so popular for NR games?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: Why is NR so popular in aoe3?

Post by Jaeger »

Well idk about other games but I think in AOE2 you couldn't make plantations, so after the gold mines ran out you could only make food/wood units (and if the wood runs out I don't think you can do anything). Same for stone I think.

Also in aoe2 many games are boomy, I think their meta is like FI, so you don't need to play another gamemode to play with all the cool lategame units. When you buy AOE3 you see all the cool units in the booklet like rockets, great bombards, and then when you play you don't actually get to use them much.

Shipments also make the boom more fun.

It's probably easier to kill 50 layers of walls (mortars)
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Yeah I guess it was just the fact that aoe3 has infinite sources of 2/3 of its resources (food/coin) which other RTS games don't really have afaik. It might've been the players too. I remember reading one of Stormcoming's port boom guides back in 2011 and seeing how enthusiastic he was about the game type made me want to try it.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

for me its wanting to use the full strength of my civ and all its units. I dont like playing games to lose in age 2 to musket and bow spam. its like whats the point...
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:for me its wanting to use the full strength of my civ and all its units. I dont like playing games to lose in age 2 to musket and bow spam. its like whats the point...

yea, even losing to xbow pike too!
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America HeatitUP_
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

I dislike a lot of sup players but if you've ever mingled with the treaty community then it will be really unbearable because a lot of them are assholes and pricks where it's not worth it to play games with them or you'll get into some dumb flame war.

If I get flamed in a sup game or treaty game then I'll assume that person is so pro that they don't need me. It's pretty funny to watch these people get even more mad when they get outmassed :D

If I don't get bitched at then the chances of my team winning are much much higher.
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:Well idk about other games but I think in AOE2 you couldn't make plantations, so after the gold mines ran out you could only make food/wood units (and if the wood runs out I don't think you can do anything). Same for stone I think.

Also in aoe2 many games are boomy, I think their meta is like FI, so you don't need to play another gamemode to play with all the cool lategame units. When you buy AOE3 you see all the cool units in the booklet like rockets, great bombards, and then when you play you don't actually get to use them much.

You can get coin from caravans, but ye if stone run out it sux. Ur stuck trading in market. Same for wood but thats unlikely to happen
Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

cringe
thebritish wrote: AA>going fortress
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

HeatitUP_ wrote:I dislike a lot of sup players but if you've ever mingled with the treaty community then it will be really unbearable because a lot of them are assholes and pricks where it's not worth it to play games with them or you'll get into some dumb flame war.

If I get flamed in a sup game or treaty game then I'll assume that person is so pro that they don't need me. It's pretty funny to watch these people get even more mad when they get outmassed :D

If I don't get bitched at then the chances of my team winning are much much higher.

I don't think there's a big difference between the sup or treaty community regarding ego wars or drama to be honest, there are just more people playing sup.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

umeu wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Well idk about other games but I think in AOE2 you couldn't make plantations, so after the gold mines ran out you could only make food/wood units (and if the wood runs out I don't think you can do anything). Same for stone I think.

You can get coin from caravans, but ye if stone run out it sux. Ur stuck trading in market. Same for wood but thats unlikely to happen

*trade carts, you also have relics and trade cogs. Stone isn't that big of a deal, you only need it for some technologies and castles. NR-type games are usually played on maps with big amounts of wood, like Black Forest, so it's not an issue.
@ovi12 , I don't think AoC is more boomy, you have a lot of rush strategies and turtling usually doesn't pay off that much as you need gold that is spread over on the map. In AoE3 you have shipments mechanics and you can utilise your civ eco bonuses to a much larger extend.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

In NR, you can get away with more mistakes, whereas in supremacy, it's very difficulty to catch up.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Treaty has more epic battles compared to weak little skirmishes in rush
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

lol yeah check out little skirmishes in the hype video
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:lol yeah check little skirmishes in the hype video

Treaty has truly epic, hour-long battles between great armies. Rush has groups of 3 musks going into battle with villagers. Sad!
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Treaty has more epic battles compared to weak little skirmishes in rush

*supremacy

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

sdsanft wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:Treaty has more epic battles compared to weak little skirmishes in rush

*supremacy

It's not called supremacy, it is rush
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Both modes are called supremacy, tart. The standard mode has no timer and is obviously the original gamemode (and ofcourse its not present in the original version of the game), other supremacy modes are specified as 10. to 40. min treaty, treaty no blockade and king of the hill.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

fightinfrenchman wrote:It's not called supremacy, it is rush

What if you don't rush in a „rush" game? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

pecelot wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:It's not called supremacy, it is rush

What if you don't rush in a „rush" game? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

It's still rush. Supremacy encompasses both rush and treaty game modes.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

noissance wrote:In NR, you can get away with more mistakes, whereas in supremacy, it's very difficulty to catch up.

That's actually another thing that appealed to me about treaty. It's possible to make mistakes but if you play well you can still catch up and make up for it.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I agree with ear, Rush has some low energy battles with few groups of soldiers to control. Send your army somewhere and you look away for 2 secs and you walk into their army and they open fire first? You boned more often than not based on personal experience and watching others!

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

evilcheadar wrote:I agree with ear, Rush has some low energy battles with few groups of soldiers to control. Send your army somewhere and you look away for 2 secs and you walk into their army and they open fire first? You boned more often than not based on personal experience and watching others!

Treaty is much more high energy! These people have never seen a basement game devolve into real life violence due to high tempers. Sad!
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:I agree with ear, Rush has some low energy battles with few groups of soldiers to control. Send your army somewhere and you look away for 2 secs and you walk into their army and they open fire first? You boned more often than not based on personal experience and watching others!

Treaty is much more high energy! These people have never seen a basement game devolve into real life violence due to high tempers. Sad!

Yep, treaty games can develop into physical confrontations in the basement! When I lose to some goober 400 miles away playing rush it's kind of hard to give them a knuckle sandwich! When someone breaks the rules in the basement, they can be firing squad-ed also! If they break the rules in an online tr game they can be like me in my epic six hour game and destroy the enemy through endurance!

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

evilcheadar wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

Yep, treaty games can develop into physical confrontations in the basement! When I lose to some goober 400 miles away playing rush it's kind of hard to give them a knuckle sandwich! When someone breaks the rules in the basement, they can be firing squad-ed also! If they break the rules in an online tr game they can be like me in my epic six hour game and destroy the enemy through endurance!

Rush players don't have the endurance to deal with epic 4 hour long battles on gigantic maps!
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Rush players don't have the endurance to deal with epic 4 hour long battles on gigantic maps!

They're low energy players! We could probably kick them out if we told them to leave! Where a Basement player would say "you can't kick me out"