No vill limit; how many do you make?

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

No vill limit; how many do you make?

Post by Jaeger »

***This applies both to treaty and to supremacy lategame.

Since in most games people try to max out 99 vills, it seems that if there was no limit, people would go even higher; but how much higher (pop cap still 200)? Of course, the more vills you have, the more resources you gather, but the more military pop you have, the better you do in fights (which also translates to having more resources). I'm very curious about where the optimal point is.

I think it's very interesting to try to analyze the marginal utility you get from trading a vill for a military pop at different vill counts; for example you probably get much more utility from deleting a vil if you're at 160 vills vs than if you're at 50.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Mali SenorCallen
Skirmisher

Re: No vill limit; how many do you make?

Post by SenorCallen »

25 stupid question ovi....please make realistic questions
"I suck"

-Mitoe

"Ugh I suck"

-Mitoe
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

(25 is the max vills otto can train before they waste resources upgrading villager pop)
Mali SenorCallen
Skirmisher

Post by SenorCallen »

your telling me u actually play something else
"I suck"

-Mitoe

"Ugh I suck"

-Mitoe
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You actually can't mix sup and treaty like that. In treaty, people would probs go for 200 vils if there was no limit, then delete a part of those (not sure how many though). In sup, you would just stop at some point. Not sure how many either here, but my guess is a bit more than 100 vils, because when I'm playing germany, I still get 99 settlers + extra SW and it feels fine.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Kaiserklein wrote:You actually can't mix sup and treaty like that. In treaty, people would probs go for 200 vils if there was no limit, then delete a part of those (not sure how many though). In sup, you would just stop at some point. Not sure how many either here, but my guess is a bit more than 100 vils, because when I'm playing germany, I still get 99 settlers + extra SW and it feels fine.

Ofc in treaty you get 200 during 40 mins and then delete them lol, i was curious how many you delete. I jnow with germany they delete 40-60 vills
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i'd just vil fight.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Without max training speed (Inca) most civs could probably maintain constant pumping of units with roughly 80-90 vill pop if the fight goes evenly.

Eventually as you get more resources the game becomes more about pop efficiency than cost efficiency, so then you'd cut vills as your bank grows and add them back in when it starts dropping. There won't be a specific equilibrium because the fight is always gonna go better or worse for one player.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

forgrin wrote:Without max training speed (Inca) most civs could probably maintain constant pumping of units with roughly 80-90 vill pop if the fight goes evenly.

Eventually as you get more resources the game becomes more about pop efficiency than cost efficiency, so then you'd cut vills as your bank grows and add them back in when it starts dropping. There won't be a specific equilibrium because the fight is always gonna go better or worse for one player.

Wait so in sup you don't make past 80-90 vills? Even in treaty they keep 99 vills, they don't delete them (except germany, but they usually delete until they have 99, partly because they have one of the worst start armies, and uhlans are pop inefficient)
United States of America HeatitUP_
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

I would make 100 vills because half your population should be eco
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
United States of America saveyourskill
Skirmisher

Post by saveyourskill »

I think I was more on the greedy side in AOEO and did 80v and 20 caravans or 60v 40c around there but I think average in each game would be 80 counting both vills and caravans. I think depending on super late game like everyone is in age 5 I think 110v is fine(for sup). With 120 or more I would just be ending up having too much bank and sending 90k to my team just to lose because I don't have enough pop to send it on. Just depends how your many vills you need for your spam.
Got Badger Milk?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

saveyourskill wrote:I think I was more on the greedy side in AOEO and did 80v and 20 caravans or 60v 40c around there but I think average in each game would be 80 counting both vills and caravans. I think depending on super late game like everyone is in age 5 I think 110v is fine(for sup). With 120 or more I would just be ending up having too much bank and sending 90k to my team just to lose because I don't have enough pop to send it on. Just depends how your many vills you need for your spam.

Well in treaty they have 99 vills all the time and they still run out of resources, so at some point you should be able to fight continously like in treaty and use your resources
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

HeatitUP_ wrote:I would make 100 vills because half your population should be eco

Why not 101?
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

ovi12 wrote:
HeatitUP_ wrote:I would make 100 vills because half your population should be eco

Why not 101?

cuz the population limit is fixed at 200 UNLESS you get a treasure that increases your population limit!
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

HeatitUP_ wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Why not 101?

cuz the population limit is fixed at 200 UNLESS you get a treasure that increases your population limit!

But why exactly half :O?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

@H2O_
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

ovi12 wrote:
forgrin wrote:Without max training speed (Inca) most civs could probably maintain constant pumping of units with roughly 80-90 vill pop if the fight goes evenly.

Wait so in sup you don't make past 80-90 vills? Even in treaty they keep 99 vills, they don't delete them (except germany, but they usually delete until they have 99, partly because they have one of the worst start armies, and uhlans are pop inefficient)

If we're thinking about a sup lategame scenario, once you have capitol upgrades you probably don't need 99 vills to maintain 200 pop (as long as you have h20 kinda deck with a couple mill/plant cards thrown in). You gotta keep in mind that training time is so much slower in normal sup vs treaty (esp in nats) since most people don't have training cards in their decks. This means you don't spend nearly as much on army since both you and your opponent would constantly have roughly 20-30 pop in training queues, maybe more, so units would die more slowly.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

ovi12 wrote:@H2O_
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

HeatitUP_ wrote:
ovi12 wrote:@H2O_
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

+-10% of what your opponent maintain should be optimal imo considering a fair game ( same civ same skill level ) it would be more situational than a straight out answer, cuz if you cut less you will just get rolled by Superior mass unless you lose badly in art war which shouldn't happen.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain Panmaster
Skirmisher

Post by Panmaster »

Theoretically the optimal abstract villager count is the minimum needed to maintain military production.

The warchief civs have a card that gives villagers 33 hand attack which combined with pioneers might make 200 vil pop an interesting possibility.
TAD AI Reference Guide
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

hm there are situation where you get above 99 vils ( sea ) . In any case i would never make more than 120 vill max. Thats also the magic number in aoc where you can theoretically make 200 vills. it also dpeneds strongly on the state of the game. Lets say you reach 99 vills in late age 3 and youre aging up to IV . Then id def make around 120ish vills maybe even more. Becasue im gonna need lots of eco to support production and getting upgrades. If i then want to try to go to age 5 id keep that amount of vills obv for extra economy. However if i try to close out the game in IV 120 vills could be to much (assuming ive already gotten all the ups and all i want is max mili pop ).
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

umeu wrote:i'd just vil fight.

Yeah a use for that Sioux card...
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

lordraphael wrote:hm there are situation where you get above 99 vils ( sea ) . In any case i would never make more than 120 vill max. Thats also the magic number in aoc where you can theoretically make 200 vills. it also dpeneds strongly on the state of the game. Lets say you reach 99 vills in late age 3 and youre aging up to IV . Then id def make around 120ish vills maybe even more. Becasue im gonna need lots of eco to support production and getting upgrades. If i then want to try to go to age 5 id keep that amount of vills obv for extra economy. However if i try to close out the game in IV 120 vills could be to much (assuming ive already gotten all the ups and all i want is max mili pop ).

Yeah another situation is cree cdb
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

I'd get 244 as iroquois -> Firepit population dance + 20 vill imperial age up
Error 404: Signature not found