Poll: Treaty: reviving explorers with spyglass (inside enemy base)

Should reviving explorers inside the enemy base using spyglass be considered a cheat?

Yes
42%
NO
58%

Total votes: 45

Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Re: Poll: Treaty: reviving explorers with spyglass (inside enemy base)

Post by Gear_Head »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:i wall him in if i can
havent had this sucessfulyl happen to me but i have seen it used.

An even better reaction imo.

I've had it happen to me a couple of times and I've seen it used even more. I play Port most of the time on Orinoco, but I always try to push enough so I can just sneak villagers in and build a FB like that.

Most of the nr55 orinoco community is better than me, so I usually need my explorer in the battle as much as possible. :mrgreen:
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

@Gear_Head
I meant the spyglass was as bad as alt + d, for ports. What's more, it doesnt cut down on LOS of the revived explorer
Error 404: Signature not found
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Lol it's not anything like alt d. The way the game works is if you have Los on an Explorer who has like 25% or smt of his hp, he revives. It's the way the game works imo. It's not a bug, it's not a glitch, it's intended to be there.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:i wall him in if i can
havent had this sucessfulyl happen to me but i have seen it used.

problem: solved :?:
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Reviving explorers with the spyglass isn't a cheat; it's an example of how they were meant to be revived -- when they come within a friendly unit's line of sight. A balloon also can revive the explorer.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I don't think they're meant to be revived in such a way, it's just that giving LOS is programmed to spawn an invisible unit. So I for certain can claim that this is not a cheat, but a game mechanics exploit :idea:
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Reasons why spyglass revival is different from alt D:

-It only works once the dead explorer has regained a certain amount of health
-It has a cool down: you can only use it once then you have to wait a minute (idk the exact time) before using it again, unlike alt d which can be spammed.
-It's existence is based on a game mechanic, not a glitch

Come on guys it's not on the same level as alt d.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Ye spyglass revival is different from alt-d. It is less of a cheat (if cheat at all). Question is if we want spyglass revival in our games. We could easily agree that it's an unfair way of playing, just as we agree on half map, no warship and no team trade rules. So do we want to agree on that or not?

Question should not have been if it is a cheat, it should have been if we want it to be allowed in our games or not.
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01

Post by Gear_Head »

Well now you're talking about a balancing discussion @martinspjuth since it is specifically related to one civ. Once you open it up to the scale of what balancing covers, I'm not sure it's even worth bothering about.

If this is more about tournament rules only (e.g. halfmap, no warship, no team trade), then that's different. I am amazed that something as minute as this is even grouped in the same category as those game-changing restrictions, though. :lol:

I guess after this restriction is made and the meta changes, we're going to have ban the permanent hot air balloon card too. :P
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Post by martinspjuth »

Gear_Head wrote:Well now you're talking about a balancing discussion @martinspjuth since it is specifically related to one civ. Once you open it up to the scale of what balancing covers, I'm not sure it's even worth bothering about.

If this is more about tournament rules only (e.g. halfmap, no warship, no team trade), then that's different. I am amazed that something as minute as this is even grouped in the same category as those game-changing restrictions, though. :lol:

I guess after this restriction is made and the meta changes, we're going to have ban the permanent hot air balloon card too. :P

I don't really care if it is banned or not, and ye it is just a minor thing of no real importance. What i get tired of is the flaming and discussion happening after every game where it is done and people having trubling knowing whether explorer was revived by alt-d or spyglas (yes u can see by notification if he used spyglas, but not everyone wants to check that everytime they find enemy explorer alive again in their base). So would like it to just be made clear once and for all whether we want it allowed or not.
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01

Post by Gear_Head »

martinspjuth wrote:
I don't really care if it is banned or not, and ye it is just a minor thing of no real importance. What i get tired of is the flaming and discussion happening after every game where it is done and people having trubling knowing whether explorer was revived by alt-d or spyglas (yes u can see by notification if he used spyglas, but not everyone wants to check that everytime they find enemy explorer alive again in their base). So would like it to just be made clear once and for all whether we want it allowed or not.

Hmm, I suppose we have different post-game experiences related to this topic. I've not once run into someone flaming over the explorer being revived via spyglass (or accusing of alt+d). I'm sure that would be annoying and I don't envy you for having those experiences.

I wonder if it would be possible to simply fix the alt+d glitch in the patch. That seems like the best way to solve the root problem.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

This cannot possibly considered a cheat, it is just a power that the Ports have. Even Alt+D is not that big of a deal, maybe in rush but obviously not in treaty!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix