The only civs without this unit type. or should we give brits imperial pikemen?

No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

The only civs without this unit type. or should we give brits imperial pikemen?

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Let us examine Brits and Iros. They are the only civs lacking a dedicated imperial status hand attack heavy infantry. Though they have a niche roll the units are pretty handy sometimes and maybe we should consider giving them imperial pikemen. Especially for brits that would have used them a lot in battle and considering how hard it can be to use muskets in melee with their slower speed (after church tech). This would help balance them to civs like spain where brits really could use a better meat shield vs lancers.

Iros could get a native warrior since pike do not make sense for them. (ironwood?)

As we make he patch for better balance we tend to be taking away some of the civs major strengths (like iros now having less cannon, being less effective vs anti inf, need better anti cav) perhalps then we should consider balancing the game in appropriate counter units.
Just a thought..... response?
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Re: The only civs without this unit type. or should we give brits imperial pikemen?

Post by Gichtenlord »

Why would brit need imp pikemen with musket on roids? Brits strength vs spain are muskets, because they shit on lancers

Pikemen/Halbediers are almost never an option, because a musket performs most of the time better and is more versatile and if you dont have muskets as a civ, you rather go for goons anyways.
r]
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Re: The only civs without this unit type. or should we give brits imperial pikemen?

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

well muskets are pretty decent if you put them in melee as noted, but not as fast and more expensive.

I personally just like melee units and even halbs have their place sometimes. Goons while decent units do no where near the DPS of melee to knock out cav, and are useful to flank or push out other goons.

spain the only civ that gets imperial pikemen is pretty redundant with Rods.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

what do you mean British don't have any dedicated imperial status hand attack heavy infantry, why would Brits want pike, pike literally suck vs everything except cav, and will even lose to cav in smaller numbers. Musk's > Cav in melee, and can also do good vs goon in a mass, also musks can rek skirm if the skirms are caught in an awkward position. Also don't Brits have the best Hussar in the game? and imperial LB which reck everything, honestly Brits don't need pike, seeing as they are a shit unit anyway, and they aren't even THAT MUCH cheaper considering its easier for Brits to gather food and a bit of gold then wood and food.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I love it when supremacy players comment in a thread in the treaty forum, completely oblivious to the fact that this is treaty, not supremacy.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Even in treaty I don't think the British need pikeman. If we just nerf all the strengths from each civ, then what would be the point of playing another civ? I don't see why you can't use the super-musks as uber-pikeman anyway. Maybe I need to broaden my horizon beyond Orinoco
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I love it when supremacy players comment in a thread in the treaty forum, completely oblivious to the fact that this is treaty, not supremacy.

But Sup > TR
Pay more attention to detail.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Even if I had imperiel tercio pikemen with all 3 hand inf cards as Brits I would still make musketeers. Also pikemen as meatshield? Pls. Also Brit needing more advantages over Spain than they already have? Pls.

And to Iros: Tomas are like a musketeer with lower ranged damage but the highest melee damage of all musketeer units, so they're probably a little hybrid of musketeers and halbs? If I remember correctly they have like 59 ranged damage and 44 melee damage fully upgraded+attack dance while imperial redcoats have 58 ranged dmg and 37 (?) melee damage. Oh and remember tomas have 2 more range than any other musketeer aswell.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Oh and remember tomas have 2 more range than any other musketeer aswell.

Pretty sure they don't.

Edit: Nvm, they do with warhut BB.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I love it when supremacy players comment in a thread in the treaty forum, completely oblivious to the fact that this is treaty, not supremacy.

what is treaty?
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

umeu wrote:

what is treaty?

The superior and harder game-mode in Age of Empires 3 obviously.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

treaty > rush
r]
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Why use pikes as meatshields when you have royal guard musks and huss?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I mean veteran pikes in treaty all the time man
No Flag charlemagen
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: Charlemagen

Post by charlemagen »

@howlingwolfpaw We really do appreciate the ideas you put forth as you are obviously trying to better the game and help us with difficult patch decisions :). Unfortunately everyone is right on this one, their is no need to give Brit or Iro a good hand attack unit because they already have one, as well as Brits certainly do not need a buff in any way shape or form. Keep posting ideas though! Thank you.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

charlemagen wrote:@howlingwolfpaw We really do appreciate the ideas you put forth as you are obviously trying to better the game and help us with difficult patch decisions :). Unfortunately everyone is right on this one, their is no need to give Brit or Iro a good hand attack unit because they already have one, as well as Brits certainly do not need a buff in any way shape or form. Keep posting ideas though! Thank you.

Yeah I know I wasn't expecting anyone to really get on board with it, but like to propose ideas to bring life to forum and make people think and question why certain things are the way they are.

For instance many civs do not have a musket.... should those civs get them? well maybe maybe not. I could only imagine how much better Germany would be with them. maybe then dutch would not even make ryuters, as well as gerany not needing dopples.

or aztecs and sioux with artillery....

but still though I think brits historically should get imperial pikemen.
and iros would definitely have some kind of melee inf as well I think.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:
charlemagen wrote:@howlingwolfpaw We really do appreciate the ideas you put forth as you are obviously trying to better the game and help us with difficult patch decisions :). Unfortunately everyone is right on this one, their is no need to give Brit or Iro a good hand attack unit because they already have one, as well as Brits certainly do not need a buff in any way shape or form. Keep posting ideas though! Thank you.

So wait, a guy with an axe isn't a melee infantry? He just happens to throw it as well.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

not its not the same obviously.

all units other than artillery and monks have a melee attack.
Chile Jutlander
Musketeer
ESO: ???????

Post by Jutlander »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:but still though I think brits historically should get imperial pikemen.

Seriously, as a historian I get triggered every time someone says the word ''Historical''.
What does that even mean?
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

his·tor·i·cal
hiˈstôrək(ə)l/
adjective
of or concerning history; concerning past events.
"the historical background to such studies"
belonging to the past, not the present.