GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

AoE3 Japanese Treaty Guide [TR40]

Post by _NiceKING_ »

RE Patch
Treaty Patch

[spoiler=RE Patch]BOOM

Age I
Gather the crates, each villager on separate crate, have the first villager in queue as fast as possible.
2 villagers to build Consulate and ally with Port in Consulate for cheaper building and cheaper food cost for Age ups, the rest to wood to gather wood for a shrine.
Right after allying with Port in Consulate, use one monk to build the first shrine.
Set your shrine on food.
All vills go to food now.
Build market and upgrade berry/wood/all natural resource gather rate.
First card is Team Chonindo. Second card is Hevanly Kami (cheaper shrines) and 3rd card is Wood card (15%).
Start aging to Age II with the Toshogu Shrine, use ~2 villagers to build the wonder.
Put most villagers to wood (leave 6 on food). Shrines should be on wood now.
Start spamming shrines in your city.
Switch shrines to food as soon as you reach the max shrine limit.
Upgrade market mine gather rate.
Switch most villagers from food to gold while aging to gather for Age III [keep in mind that your food cost to Age is cheaper than usual because you are allying with Port].
Note:
Depending on the existence of berries on map, you will get 1 [and berry] or 2 cherry orchards [no berry], use the cherry orchard wagon to explore the map, but be careful not to get near enemy Town Center because they can put villagers into Town Center and use Town Center to kill your wagon.
Use the monks to explore the map for herdable [cow/yak/llama/buffalo] to boost shrine trickle. Take advantage of their dodge ability ["space travel" ability to immediately return to town center] when you need them.
Shrine is like mini villager for Japan [with resource trickle], so your goal is to max shrine as fast as possible.
Each shrine can attract up to 4 animals for better trickle rate, so try to build shrine near the animal around your base first.
Age II
Right after building the Age II wonder, you should have enough resources for Age III.Age with the Torii Gates, use 8 villagers to build the wonder.
While aging upgrade market for wood and all natural resource gather rate first, then berry and mine.
Switch almost all villagers to wood for 2 extra Town Centers [510 wood each].
Age III
Build 2 more Town Centers with your monks [near a new mine].
Distribute villager between food and gold for Age IV.
Age III cards to send are Refrigeration then Royal Mint.
Start switching the consulate to Dutch ally and send the Bank wagon and build it right away. Next card is Good Faith Agreements [make consulate special shipment cheaper], send the Church and the Arsenal from Dutch ally in Consulate then cancel Dutch to switch to Spain.When you have enough 2000 food/1200 gold, age up with the Shogunate, use 8 villagers to build the wonder.
While aging 8-10 villagers to wood to cut 500 wood for shrine upgrade, the Tempo Reforms.
Age IV
Upgrade shrine. Distribute villagers between food and gold for Age V.
Age with the Golden Pavilion, use 8 villagers to build the wonder.
While aging upgrade wood gathering in market.
Age V
Get Imperial wood gather rate in market.
Build Rice Paddies and upgrade them to Imperial.
Buy XP in Church and send XP shipment from Spain ally in Consulate.
Send all Rice Paddy food and gold-related cards, put villagers on Rice Paddy for food and gold. Distribute them as needed. No villagers on wood.
Put your shrines on wood.
>>If you are playing a team game, ask one of your teammates to train sheep/cows for your shrines, it will be a really great boost to your economy.
If you get sheep/cows from your teammate, you will not need to send plantation cards before 40 minutes. Just put your shrines on coin, they will generate enough coin for you at 40. Keep about 20 villagers on wood in this case scenario<<

[Note: in 1v1 you may wanna skip 5% (age1) card if you using natives cuz you have to take native cards and there may not be enough space for this card (its effect is very little anyways)].

FIGHT
Train needed units for your starting army until you've got 199 pop and then send the biggest military shipment in the Spanish consulate.
Don't forget to switch Consulate from Spain to Japan Isolation for 5% attack bonus and research the improvement to train 10 units in 1 batch.
Send Shogun Tokugawa card for HP boost and artillery training.
Put your Daimyo and Shogun in Stand Ground mode behind your army [so they don't move around and get killed fast].
Send Bakufu card [Daimyo and Shogun train unit faster]. Your Daimyo and Shogun train faster than your regular barrack/stable/castle so use them to your advantage.
Stream of Enlightenment card will reduce the damage of nearby enemies by 7.5% per monk for a total of -15% if both are nearby. This nullifies Mansabdar unit bonuses entirely and still inflicts a 5% penalty while also reducing the unction advantage available to the Spanish. After sending this card, put your Monks behind your army in Stand Ground mode to reduce enemy unit attack.
Send Morutaru Range card/CheaperFaster Flaming Arrow card and anything you want afterward.

UNIT

All Japan units have stacked and powerful upgrades from wonder, consulate and cards. It's fun to try out different combos and strategies with Japan to find out what suits your style the best.
Ashigaru Musketeer is one of the extraordinary advantages of the Japanese army. They have stacked upgrades from the Golden Pavilion attack or hitpoint boost, the Golden Pavilion Arsenal Techs [attack and hitpoint], the regular Arsenal Techs (melee attack - acquired by allying with Dutch in the consulate), Ashigaru attack cards, the consulate attack boost, the Daimyo attack boost, and the Shogun hitpoint boost, the Ashigaru can reach its extreme power with 72 range attack and 4.5x melee bonus against cavalry, making them hard to counter. They should be the main unit in your combo.
Naginata Rider is Japan's powerful melee cavalry, they are deadly against archer/skirmisher with 1.5x bonus.
Flaming Arrow is a cuvlerin and a cannon 2-in-1, however, they are pretty bad as culverins because of their range and bonus vs artillery (on RE).
Morutaru is Japanese main siege unit with less pop [3], longer range and faster than normal mortar.
Yabusame has weaker attack/hitpoint than other light cavalry in game. But with unique 8x bonus against artillery and 50% RR, they could come handy if a few of your enemy artilleries is behind wall/in short range.
Yumi Archer is good against heavy infantry and light cavalry, they can be used in a defensive combo mixed with Ashigaru.
Samurai is Japanese infamous unit. They are very similar to the German Doppelsoldner, deadly against small group of skirms, large groups of cavalry and buildings with their high damage area attacks. However, I would not recommend using them.
Hatamoto Samurai is the special limited edition of Samurai available from Japan Isolation Consulate with higher hitpoint and attack. Only a few of them can wipe our a large group of cavalry in mere seconds. They are pretty expensive.

HEAD TO HEAD FIGHTING

The Ashigaru Musketeer - Yumi - Naginata - Flaming Arrow - Morutaru with Daimyo + Shogun boost is an aggressive and well-rounded combo for Japan. Do not use Samurai (maybe just for running).

DECK
[spoiler=Videos]Watch Japanese Boom (for RE):
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Treaty Fan Patch]BOOM

Age I
Gather the crates, each villager on separate crate, have the first villager in queue as fast as possible.
2 villagers to build Consulate and ally with Port in Consulate for cheaper building and cheaper food cost for Age ups, the rest to wood to gather wood for a shrine.
Right after allying with Port in Consulate, use one monk to build the first shrine (near animals).
Set your shrine on food.
Build market and upgrade berry/wood/all natural resource gather rate.
First card is Team Chonindo. Second card is Hevanly Kami (cheaper shrines) and 3rd card is Wood card (15%).
Start aging to Age II with the Toshogu Shrine, use ~2 villagers to build the wonder. Avoid animals! No animal should come to this wonder.
Put most villagers to wood (leave 6 on food). Shrines should be on wood now.
Start spamming shrines in your city.
Use the monks to explore the map for herdable [cow/yak/llama/buffalo] to boost shrine trickle. Take advantage of their dodge ability ["space travel" ability to immediately return to town center] when you need them.
Shrine is like mini villager for Japan [with resource trickle], so your goal is to max shrine as fast as possible.
Each shrine can attract up to 4 animals for better trickle rate.
Upgrade coin gather rate in market.
Age II
Upgrade market for wood and all natural resource gather rate first, then berry and mine.
Age with the Torii Gates, use 8 villagers to build the wonder.
Switch almost all villagers to wood for 2 extra Town Centers [510 wood each].
Age III
Start ending relations in consulate.
Build 2 more Town Centers with your monks.
Distribute villager between food and gold for Age IV.
Age III card to send is Refrigeration.
Start switching the consulate to Dutch ally and send the Bank wagon and build it right away.
When you have enough 2000 food/1200 gold, age up with the Shogunate, use 4-8 villagers to build the wonder.
While aging 8-10 villagers to wood to cut 500 wood for shrine upgrade, the Tempo Reforms.
Age IV
Upgrade shrine. Distribute villagers between food and gold for Age V.
Age with the Golden Pavilion, use 8 villagers to build the wonder.
While aging upgrade wood gathering in market and rice paddies.
Put most villagers to food.
Start spamming sheeps for your shrines (4/shrine). Delete a shrine if it has attracted huntable animals and build it somewhere else so that all 4 sheeps can go there. Shrine wonder needs 8 sheeps. Note: Shrine wonder cannot train sheeps.
Age V
Get Imperial wood gather rate in market.
Upgrade rice paddies to Imperial (food for now only).
Buy XP in Church and send XP shipment from Spain ally in Consulate.
Send all Rice Paddy food cards, put villagers on Rice Paddy for food, keep about 20 villagers on wood.
Shrines must be on gold.

FIGHT
Train needed units for your starting army until you've got 199 pop and then send the biggest military shipment in the Spanish consulate.
Don't forget to switch Consulate from Spain to Japan Isolation for 5% attack bonus and research the improvement to train 10 units in 1 batch.
Send Shogun Tokugawa card for HP boost and artillery training.
Put your Daimyo and Shogun in Stand Ground mode behind your army [so they don't move around and get killed fast].
Send Morutaru Range card/CheapernFaster Flaming Arrow card and anything you want afterward.

UNIT

All Japan units have stacked and powerful upgrades from wonder, consulate and cards. It's fun to try out different combos and strategies with Japan to find out what suits your style the best.
Yumi Archer is very powerful archer against heavy infantry and light cavalry, they should be the main unit in your combo.
Ashigaru Musketeer is one of the extraordinary advantages of the Japanese army. Ashigaru can reach its extreme power with [...] range attack and 4.5x melee bonus against cavalry, making them hard to counter. Mix them with Yumi.
Naginata Rider is Japan's powerful melee cavalry, they are deadly against archer/skirmisher with 1.5x bonus.
Flaming Arrow is a cuvlerin and a cannon 2-in-1.
Morutaru is Japanese main siege unit with less pop [3], longer range and faster than normal mortar.
Yabusame has weaker attack/hitpoint than other light cavalry in game. But with unique 8x bonus against artillery and 50% RR, they could come handy if a few of your enemy artilleries is behind wall/in short range. You do not really need this unit.
Samurai is Japanese infamous unit. They are very similar to the German Doppelsoldner, deadly against small group of skirms, large groups of cavalry and buildings with their high damage area attacks. However, I would not recommend using them unless you are planning to run.
Hatamoto Samurai is the special limited edition of Samurai available from Japan Isolation Consulate with much higher hitpoints and attack. Only a few of them can wipe our a large group of cavalry in mere seconds. They are pretty expensive. [Cost: 400 export for 1 Hatamoto Samurai].

HEAD TO HEAD FIGHTING

Yumi Archer - Ashigaru Musketeer - Naginata - Flaming Arrow - Morutaru with Daimyo + Shogun boost is an aggressive and well-rounded combo for Japan. Do not use Samurai (maybe just for running).

DECK

Image[/spoiler]
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon
ESO: martinspjuth

Re: Japanese Treaty Guide

Post by martinspjuth »

There are a few things that will improve this build:

Consulate:
You should stay allied with port untill you have clicked up to age 5.

Wonders:
You should age to age 4 with shougunate and to age 5 with pavilion. (The xp from shougunate is the same from both age 4 and 5 and you want that xp as early as possible, when going to imperial with pavilion you also get 6 more yumi).

Shrines:
Unless you have a team mate who can give you sheep (or even better: cows) you should be sending all coin cards and have some paddys on coin. Shrines should be on wood. The reason for this is that shrines without herdables won't give you enough coin before 40.

Deck:
You should not send wood cards, sending wood cards + coin cards is a bit to many cards to send before 40. The wood card also takes up the space of some other important cards: like Yumi Archer Attack (20% more attack for yumi) or the Way of the Bow (15% more hp and 2 more range for yumi). If you like to play with a lot of yumi you can also skip Good Faith Agreements so that you can fit both yumi uppgrade cards in your deck. This will make it hard to get out all consulate uppgrades and overpop from spain before 40. What you can do is use consulate to have 10% of your eco turned into export for a while. This will ofc hurt your overall eco a bit, so it really depends on how you want to play.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

martinspjuth wrote:There are a few things that will improve this build:

Consulate:

Wonders:
You should age to age 4 with shougunate and to age 5 with pavilion. (The xp from shougunate is the same from both age 4 and 5 and you want that xp as early as possible, when going to imperial with pavilion you also get 6 more yumi).

Shrines:
Unless you have a team mate who can give you sheep (or even better: cows) you should be sending all coin cards and have some paddys on coin. Shrines should be on wood. The reason for this is that shrines without herdables won't give you enough coin before 40.

Deck:
You should not send wood cards, sending wood cards + coin cards is a bit to many cards to send before 40. The wood card also takes up the space of some other important cards: like Yumi Archer Attack (20% more attack for yumi) or the Way of the Bow (15% more hp and 2 more range for yumi). If you like to play with a lot of yumi you can also skip Good Faith Agreements so that you can fit both yumi uppgrade cards in your deck. This will make it hard to get out all consulate uppgrades and overpop from spain before 40. What you can do is use consulate to have 10% of your eco turned into export for a while. This will ofc hurt your overall eco a bit, so it really depends on how you want to play.

Some debatable things in this post.

I usually burn ports as soon as shrines are done so that I can get the bank asap.

For 1v1 RE Japan skipping the wood cards sending all the food/coin cards and putting shrines on wood is probably best. In teamgames and patch you should put shrines on coin and gather the wood. Sending wood isn't actually that bad here (I usually send 15% twice), in RE you can switch out the 5% paddy gathering for it (5% is almost nothing compared to 30% wood) and on patch you simply have the space. Good faith agreements also isn't required I guess, although I like it for getting overpop out and hatamoto later.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

dicktator_ wrote:
I usually burn ports as soon as shrines are done so that I can get the bank asap.

Keeping port consulate save you 900 food which also means your Cherry Orchards last longer. A bank in age3 compared to in transition to 5 give you around 700 more coin. Imo 900 food is better both because it simply is more ress, but also because you will have more food over in Cherry Orchards for uppgrades when you reach imperial

For 1v1 RE Japan skipping the wood cards sending all the food/coin cards and putting shrines on wood is probably best. In teamgames and patch you should put shrines on coin and gather the wood. Sending wood isn't actually that bad here (I usually send 15% twice), in RE you can switch out the 5% paddy gathering for it (5% is almost nothing compared to 30% wood) and on patch you simply have the space. Good faith agreements also isn't required I guess, although I like it for getting overpop out and hatamoto later.

Ofc you should use wood cards on patch, but so far this guide is only for RE Japan. I don't see why you would send wood cards in team games as japan and why you should put shrines on gold. You will still not get enough coin by just shrines on gold unless you got sheep/cows from a team mate, as i wrote in my original post. (I agree you should put shrines on gold if you have a mate who gives you sheep/cows)

Please explain how you can get enough coin to 40 by only having shrines, without sheep/cattle, on coin. Or explain why you would send both wood cards and coin cards before 40 just to be able to keep shrines on coin. Seems like a waste to me when you can get most wood you need from shrines without the need for spending 1-2 extra cards on them.

You have a good point in that you can switch out the 5% paddy gathering rate instead of good faith agreements or wood cards.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

martinspjuth wrote:
dicktator_ wrote:

Keeping port consulate save you 900 food which also means your Cherry Orchards last longer. A bank in age3 compared to in transition to 5 give you around 700 more coin. Imo 900 food is better both because it simply is more ress, but also because you will have more food over in Cherry Orchards for uppgrades when you reach imperial

Ofc you should use wood cards on patch, but so far this guide is only for RE Japan. I don't see why you would send wood cards in team games as japan and why you should put shrines on gold. You will still not get enough coin by just shrines on gold unless you got sheep/cows from a team mate, as i wrote in my original post. (I agree you should put shrines on gold if you have a mate who gives you sheep/cows)

Please explain how you can get enough coin to 40 by only having shrines, without sheep/cattle, on coin. Or explain why you would send both wood cards and coin cards before 40 just to be able to keep shrines on coin. Seems like a waste to me when you can get most wood you need from shrines without the need for spending 1-2 extra cards on them.

You have a good point in that you can switch out the 5% paddy gathering rate instead of good faith agreements or wood cards.

In team games on re your teammate should always send you livestock. Always. I thought that was implied.

In a 1v1 I agree with skipping wood cause you have to make room for native cards anyway.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Austria OliverP
Skirmisher
ESO: OliverP

Post by OliverP »

Consulate:
i usually switch from port to dutch while aging to age 3.. then send the bank and switch back to port just in time to age to 4 and 5.. i end up with ~200 export less at 40 but got my bank up around 10 minutes earlier while still aging with cheaper food.
[spoiler=spoiler]don't do this if you haven't played a lot of japs because the timing has to be on point (+-10 seconds) (because you want the cheaper towncenter + cheaper ageups)[/spoiler]

Wonders:

agreed

Shrines:
on TP shrines should always be on coin because japanese settler gather wood faster than coin.

Deck:
Sweden martinspjuth
Dragoon

Post by martinspjuth »

OliverP wrote:

Consulate:
i usually switch from port to dutch while aging to age 3.. then send the bank and switch back to port just in time to age to 4 and 5.. i end up with ~200 export less at 40 but got my bank up around 10 minutes earlier while still aging with cheaper food. (i just send the spanish shipment which increases the speed of arrival after 40.
[spoiler=spoiler]don't do this if you haven't played a lot of japs because the timing has to be on point (+-10 seconds) (because you want the cheaper towncenter + cheaper ageups)[/spoiler]

Wonders:

agreed

Shrines:
on TP shrines should always be on coin because japanese settler gather wood faster than coin.

Deck:

Ye, port - dutch - port consulate is the best if you can pull it of.
And ye, on patch shrines should be on coin after you got to age 5, cos there you can train your own sheep and therefor get enough coin by 40 even with just shrines on coin. I didnt mention this since this guide isn't marked for TP Japan so far.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

What is a good score ballpark on RE? I get around 1800-1850 usually
Error 404: Signature not found
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

noissance wrote:What is a good score ballpark on RE? I get around 1800-1850 usually

1800+ is good