The Brilliance of "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

The Brilliance of "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Post by deleted_user »

Even now, all these years later I still become lost in the amazing, enchanting world C.S. Lewis created in his seven book "The Chronicles of Narnia" series. No other avenue of fantasy consumption has ever conjured in me such an immersive and captivating environment, rife with rich imagery and genuinely outstanding characters, new characters who yet emerge throughout the series and never wane in their written brilliance. The series is quite simply art of such gripping emotion, charming characters, enthralling story, borderline-bewitching world-building and yet of simple enough construct it can be enjoyed in its fullest, at its finest, by all ages.

Truly a masta piece!
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Re: The Brilliance of "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Post by Ashvin »

:(
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Why is this sad face here we are talking about one of the great literary works of the modern era
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

tolkien is better
Top quality poster.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

I think that lion guy who dies for his people on that stone (which tears into two - like the curtains in temple when Jezus dies) is like an impersonation of Jezus.

Gandalf two btw
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Well yeah the series has tremendous religious overtones and could be argued for gender stereotyping and even possible racism but nah
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Here's the secret: everyone back then was racist.
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

back when?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I've never seen this film, I do remember when advertising for it was everywhere. I was probably watching deadliest catch instead like a real man.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

umeu wrote:back when?

back THEN
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:back when?

when narnia was written
Top quality poster.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

dietschlander wrote:I think that lion guy who dies for his people on that stone (which tears into two - like the curtains in temple when Jezus dies) is like an impersonation of Jezus.

Gandalf two btw

I don't know about Gandalf, but Aslan is definitely an allegorical Jesus. C.S. Lewis was a renowned Christian apologetic, and this series was his way of teaching kids about Christian lore through an entertaining and adventurous medium.

Everything, from the creation of Narnia, to the White Which eating a stolen apple to gain knowledge and power, to Aslan's sacrifice, and to the circumstances surrounding Narnia's tragic destruction are indicative of an allegory.

Despite the fact that I am in no way religious, I can still appreciate Narnia just as much as when I was younger. What can I say - C.S. Lewis tells a fantastic story.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

deleted_user wrote:Well yeah the series has tremendous religious overtones and could be argued for gender stereotyping and even possible racism but nah

As could the Bible.

And @deleted_user, the series was written in the 1950s.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Papist wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Well yeah the series has tremendous religious overtones and could be argued for gender stereotyping and even possible racism but nah

As could the Bible.

And @deleted_user, the series was written in the 1950s.

Yes, I was in no way trying to discredit the series's brilliance merely just throwing a haphazard counterpoint to my obviously biased original post. I grew up religious (pop's a pastor) and while I don't consider myself heavily religious or religious at all now I can, as you said, appreciate the stories Lewis is able to construct allegorical or not.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

He's definitely a talented author. Have you read any of his other stuff?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Papist wrote:
dietschlander wrote:I think that lion guy who dies for his people on that stone (which tears into two - like the curtains in temple when Jezus dies) is like an impersonation of Jezus.

Gandalf two btw

Despite the fact that I am in no way religious, I can still appreciate Narnia just as much as when I was younger. What can I say - C.S. Lewis tells a fantastic story.

Bible > C.S. Lewis

Seriously, the old testament has amazing war related stories, heroes, wonders etc. I would love to have for example follow chapter made a movie of lord of the rings style!

1 Samuel 14New International Version (NIV)

14 1 One day Jonathan son of Saul said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the Philistine outpost on the other side.” But he did not tell his father.

2 Saul was staying on the outskirts of Gibeah under a pomegranate tree in Migron. With him were about six hundred men, 3 among whom was Ahijah, who was wearing an ephod. He was a son of Ichabod’s brother Ahitub son of Phinehas, the son of Eli, the Lord’s priest in Shiloh. No one was aware that Jonathan had left.

4 On each side of the pass that Jonathan intended to cross to reach the Philistine outpost was a cliff; one was called Bozez and the other Seneh. 5 One cliff stood to the north toward Mikmash, the other to the south toward Geba.

6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.”

7 “Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.”

8 Jonathan said, “Come on, then; we will cross over toward them and let them see us. 9 If they say to us, ‘Wait there until we come to you,’ we will stay where we are and not go up to them. 10 But if they say, ‘Come up to us,’ we will climb up, because that will be our sign that the Lord has given them into our hands.”

11 So both of them showed themselves to the Philistine outpost. “Look!” said the Philistines. “The Hebrews are crawling out of the holes they were hiding in.” 12 The men of the outpost shouted to Jonathan and his armor-bearer, “Come up to us and we’ll teach you a lesson.”

So Jonathan said to his armor-bearer, “Climb up after me; the Lord has given them into the hand of Israel.”

13 Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him. 14 In that first attack Jonathan and his armor-bearer killed some twenty men in an area of about half an acre.

Israel Routs the Philistines
15 Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God.[a]

16 Saul’s lookouts at Gibeah in Benjamin saw the army melting away in all directions. 17 Then Saul said to the men who were with him, “Muster the forces and see who has left us.” When they did, it was Jonathan and his armor-bearer who were not there.

18 Saul said to Ahijah, “Bring the ark of God.” (At that time it was with the Israelites.)[b] 19 While Saul was talking to the priest, the tumult in the Philistine camp increased more and more. So Saul said to the priest, “Withdraw your hand.”

20 Then Saul and all his men assembled and went to the battle. They found the Philistines in total confusion, striking each other with their swords. 21 Those Hebrews who had previously been with the Philistines and had gone up with them to their camp went over to the Israelites who were with Saul and Jonathan. 22 When all the Israelites who had hidden in the hill country of Ephraim heard that the Philistines were on the run, they joined the battle in hot pursuit. 23 So on that day the Lord saved Israel, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven.

Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

dietschlander wrote:
Papist wrote:

Gandalf two btw

Bible > C.S. Lewis

Seriously, the old testament has amazing war related stories, heroes, wonders etc. I would love to have for example follow chapter made a movie of lord of the rings style!

1 Samuel 14New International Version (NIV)

14 1 One day Jonathan son of Saul said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the Philistine outpost on the other side.” But he did not tell his father.

2 Saul was staying on the outskirts of Gibeah under a pomegranate tree in Migron. With him were about six hundred men, 3 among whom was Ahijah, who was wearing an ephod. He was a son of Ichabod’s brother Ahitub son of Phinehas, the son of Eli, the Lord’s priest in Shiloh. No one was aware that Jonathan had left.

4 On each side of the pass that Jonathan intended to cross to reach the Philistine outpost was a cliff; one was called Bozez and the other Seneh. 5 One cliff stood to the north toward Mikmash, the other to the south toward Geba.

6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.”

7 “Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.”

8 Jonathan said, “Come on, then; we will cross over toward them and let them see us. 9 If they say to us, ‘Wait there until we come to you,’ we will stay where we are and not go up to them. 10 But if they say, ‘Come up to us,’ we will climb up, because that will be our sign that the Lord has given them into our hands.”

11 So both of them showed themselves to the Philistine outpost. “Look!” said the Philistines. “The Hebrews are crawling out of the holes they were hiding in.” 12 The men of the outpost shouted to Jonathan and his armor-bearer, “Come up to us and we’ll teach you a lesson.”

So Jonathan said to his armor-bearer, “Climb up after me; the Lord has given them into the hand of Israel.”

13 Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him. 14 In that first attack Jonathan and his armor-bearer killed some twenty men in an area of about half an acre.

Israel Routs the Philistines
15 Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God.[a]

16 Saul’s lookouts at Gibeah in Benjamin saw the army melting away in all directions. 17 Then Saul said to the men who were with him, “Muster the forces and see who has left us.” When they did, it was Jonathan and his armor-bearer who were not there.

18 Saul said to Ahijah, “Bring the ark of God.” (At that time it was with the Israelites.)[b] 19 While Saul was talking to the priest, the tumult in the Philistine camp increased more and more. So Saul said to the priest, “Withdraw your hand.”

20 Then Saul and all his men assembled and went to the battle. They found the Philistines in total confusion, striking each other with their swords. 21 Those Hebrews who had previously been with the Philistines and had gone up with them to their camp went over to the Israelites who were with Saul and Jonathan. 22 When all the Israelites who had hidden in the hill country of Ephraim heard that the Philistines were on the run, they joined the battle in hot pursuit. 23 So on that day the Lord saved Israel, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven.

You really should've included the best part.

1 Samuel 17

42 And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.

43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.

44 And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.

45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.

46 This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.

47 And all this assembly shall know that the Lord saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's, and he will give you into our hands.

48 And it came to pass, when the Philistine arose, and came, and drew nigh to meet David, that David hastened, and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.

49 And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.

50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

The Bible is great too. Unfortunately reading it younger I failed to appreciate the beauty in its writing and instead was kind of force-fed its narrative (not that I turned out bad or anything). Ecclesiastes is obviously very famous and brief and a good read as is Song of Solomon. I'm reading through Psalms right now and they are enjoyed much more removed from their overly-grandiose organ chords though I've never really belonged to a congregation which wasn't tone deaf.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

deleted_user wrote:The Bible is great too. Unfortunately reading it younger I failed to appreciate the beauty in its writing and instead was kind of force-fed its narrative (not that I turned out bad or anything). Ecclesiastes is obviously very famous and brief and a good read as is Song of Solomon. I'm reading through Psalms right now and they are enjoyed much more removed from their overly-grandiose organ chords though I've never really belonged to a congregation which wasn't tone deaf.

The Bible is a great literary work regardless of its religious nature. It is pretty rare to find a book as well-written these days. Reminds me of a George Orwell joke, in which he complains about how formal and pretentious the English language has become.

Now that I have made this catalogue of swindles and perversions, let me give another example of the kind of writing that they lead to. This time it must of its nature be an imaginary one. I am going to translate a passage of good English into modern English of the worst sort. Here is a well-known verse from Ecclesiastes:

I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Here it is in modern English:

Objective considerations of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion that success or failure in competitive activities exhibits no tendency to be commensurate with innate capacity, but that a considerable element of the unpredictable must invariably be taken into account.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I actually like the second version better. It's more precise and to the point.

The first version is just literary windbaggery that was the modernspeak of the day two thousand years ago. If you want such morcels of wisdom from that period, read Heraclitus. It's literally much better than anything written in the bible.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's personal preference, right? How prosaic you like your prose. There have been many great writers and many great works on either end of the spectrum.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I like the first one. It's more emotive, sensual, and human. Second one sounds like it'd dry up a woman faster than a cryo chamber. It's also needlessly complicated.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I love me that simple sentence structure too. The Old Man and The Sea is just perfect for what it is.
Panama Mad_Hound
Musketeer
ESO: GenGrevious23

Post by Mad_Hound »

Have you guys read or listened to Christopher Hitchens by chance? I came across him a year ago and listened to a bunch of his debates or tv showings and relistened to them a number of times. It is one of those times where you come across someone's perspective and then look at your own and say "Uh yeah, mine is nothing in comparison (chuck my own view away)," and take in the new one. Now you don't simply just chuck it all but it's a dramatic swing. What do you think? Ever come across someone that did that to you?

I bring up Hitchens since this thread mentioned religion.
Panama Mad_Hound
Musketeer
ESO: GenGrevious23

Post by Mad_Hound »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggXCn3CsaU

Sir Callen, The Old Man and The Sea summed up.