Gun Control

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Gun Control

Post by milku3459 »

Are you in favour of complete bans on all civilian private use, very tough licensing or relatively easy acquisition? Or another option?

Arguments from those in favour of control I can think of:
1. Gun control makes it harder to acquire guns. In the absence of guns gun related deaths logically go down.
2. Singapore is an example of an ultra tough gun control society, with up to 20 years in the slammer and 6 big spankings for illegal possession and death penalty for firing one illegally. The last time a gun murder happened was in 2006 and one person died.
3. If guns are easy to acquire, then will the likelihood of one ending up in the wrong hands increase?
4. It goes against our instincts to grant tools of power to people we don't trust.
5. Guns in the past served to make enemies think twice about invading when they knew that every city and house could potentially become a heavily armed fortress. But is that relevant anymore in the age of missiles and long range warfare?

6. There are responsible gun users, but are there enough to warrant potential terror related gun deaths?

7. Guns are dramatic force multipliers in an attack, a knify guy just can't stab many people.

Arguments from those against control that I can think of:
1. Gun control serves only to keep weapons out of the hands of law abiding citizens and into the hands of people who can access the black market, criminals.

2. The Singapore system works because the borders are relatively easy to regulate, what with constant shipping on the Southern side, unsleepy people who like to run about on the coast at night and a small "circumference".
3. Guns keep the government from running over the people. Revolution in 1776 was only possible because every household had comparable weapons to British crack troops. In fact, it's a wonder that in Singapore the government hasn't been more overbearing or a dictator has not seized power. Got to hand it to the politicians here, even if they don't like free speech or very fair elections, they do have some standards.

4. When I was in Louisiana, I saw how much guns were a way of life for them; shotgun propped near the door with a row of red and green shells on a shelf, shooting at barrels from the porch at dusk...they were not afraid of guns, but they were extremely careful to instruct their children and guests how to use them safely. The family I stayed with owned a large property, they used the guns to prevent marauding critters from raiding their crops.
Then in South Carolina there was this pastor (I think he was at Nam) who told me very seriously that he keeps loaded guns in the house and all his children know how to use them safely. There are responsible gun users out there who can handle them.

5. Knowing that households in a neighbourhood have guns keeps criminals and gangs away.

6. Cities like Chicago also have strict gun control, but still they had more gun deaths than any other city (2016)

7. Will removing guns solve crime problems? Even if gun crimes go down won't criminals and terrorists turn to knives, bombs, and will there be citizens to stop them? Arms have the potential to shut down a threat very quickly, while a knife requires getting messy.

8. Things like trucks can kill just like guns can, as shown in Nice. If the citizens had weapons would they have been able to shut down the driver quicker?

I had a very interesting talk with a Californian during a road trip and one thing that stuck with me was how he talked about citizens owning guns as the original intent of the Second Amendment, the founders' way to keep themselves in check as they recognised the tendency for power to corrupt.

But is this still relevant today?
Discuss?
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Re: Gun Control

Post by Laurence Drake »

where did all the other posts go?????
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Laurence Drake wrote:where did all the other posts go?????

Probably deleted in the practice shutdown emergency mantainence
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tl:dr:

jesus says people can own nukes.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:tl:dr:

something about a weaselly bureaucrat or something.
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

umeu wrote:tl:dr:

TL;DR

Umeu fervently believes that and pushed valiantly in the debate for it
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

I remember I said something about every able citizen should be forced to own a RPG and have it loaded at all times.

Oh and nukes are honestly a home item everyone should have imo, who wants to rob a house that owns a nuke? Amirite
c0ns!
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Guns should be legal and accessible(ALL guns). Guns you can buy, but not ammo, or you can tax, and regulate ammo :) No sane person needs 1000 rounds for their gun. Tax revenues would go towards helping victims of gun violence.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

vardar wrote:I remember I said something about every able citizen should be forced to own a RPG and have it loaded at all times.

Oh and nukes are honestly a home item everyone should have imo, who wants to rob a house that owns a nuke? Amirite

my point exactly.nukes brought peace from great international conflicts. personal nukes will do the same for great interpersonal and interrelational conflicts. you will think twice about cheating on your wife if she can nuke the whole planet in revenge.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

umeu wrote:
vardar wrote:I remember I said something about every able citizen should be forced to own a RPG and have it loaded at all times.

my point exactly.nukes brought peace from great international conflicts. personal nukes will do the same for great interpersonal and interrelational conflicts. you will think twice about cheating on your wife if she can nuke the whole planet in revenge.

Wow, never thought about that. Can go both ways too, you know. Wife cheats on me....well :maniac: :uglylol:
c0ns!
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

vardar wrote:
umeu wrote:

Wow, never thought about that. Can go both ways too, you know. Wife cheats on me....well :maniac: :uglylol:
Mutually assured divorce?
Lancer

Post by vardar »

Well, that could be an agreement if she agreed to give me one last tuggin'
c0ns!
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Mandatory registration of vehicles? That is certainly wrong. If I build a little car in my garage or simply buy one, how is it the government's business? Do I need to also register all my clothes, food and video games?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Having a car doesn't mean you'll drive it on public roads.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

lejend wrote:Having a car doesn't mean you'll drive it on public roads.

send me clips of all the people in america who only use their cars on their 10km long driveways
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

What's your point here? There are millions of cars lying around in garages, especially classic cars and so on. With regard to guns, the majority are kept at home most of the time.

As a side note, more people die due to things like simply tripping over sofas than from "assault rifles." If every AR-15 must be registered then so must every curtain, chair, etc.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

i personally can't remember the last time someone used a sofa to rob a shop.
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

What about sharp objects? Do you support registration of knives? Or maybe just ban them entirely. "Get a life bin that knife."
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Yes, the more dangerous knives are hard to obtain in some countries. Kitchen knives are of course freely available, but it's generally harder to kill someone with this than with this.
Top quality poster.
Lancer

Post by vardar »

milku3459 wrote:
lejend wrote:Having a car doesn't mean you'll drive it on public roads.

send me clips of all the people in america who only use their cars on their 10km long driveways

Mine is no joke 5km long :hehe:
c0ns!
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:What's your point here? There are millions of cars lying around in garages, especially classic cars and so on. With regard to guns, the majority are kept at home most of the time.

As a side note, more people die due to things like simply tripping over sofas than from "assault rifles." If every AR-15 must be registered then so must every curtain, chair, etc.

ah the classic argument. More people have died of choking on their food than of terrorism, yet that doesn't hold back people from getting totally hysterical about the latter. So please, let's just stick to the argument. Jesus never said we couldn't have nukes, so I see no reason why we can't have them. I say give everyone a personal nuke asap. And no mrs. legenda, that's not a toy to shove up there. No.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

The problem is not things that people die from ACCIDENTS, but the problem is with things that people USE to kill other people, so that excludes sofas but leaves knives