The ESOC Movie Club

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

The ESOC Movie Club

Post by lejend »

The ESO Community's demands for a forum movie club gave rise to a "Basement Movie Club." However this club has failed spectacularly for a number of reasons. Due to the lack of organization, it is not clear who picks the weekly movie, what types of movies are allowed, or what the current movie even is. From all indications it seems that this movie "club" is, in fact, simply Frenchman picking a movie and having the forum watch it. This type of dictatorialism highly saps the community spirit, and it is unsurprising that virtually nobody has seriously participated in the movie club.

Due to the failure of the Basement Movie Club, we have created a new club in order to meet the demands of the community.

The ESOC Movie Club is by the community and for the community, with clearly defined rules, and guaranteed equality among all Members of the club.

The Movie Club Rules:

1- There are two types of participants in the club: Members and Observers.

2- Members have the ability to pick a weekly movie for the club to watch.

3- Observers are not allowed to pick a movie, and are only allowed to discuss it.

4- For an Observer to gain Membership, he must participate in the discussions for at least two movies (consecutively).

5- If a Member fails to even lightly participate in two consecutive discussions, he may lose Membership.

6- Members are guaranteed to be able to pick a weekly movie. A calendar will be posted to show which week is reserved by which Member. Reservations will be given out on a first come first serve basis.

7- Famous movies are prohibited. We are really looking for diamonds in the rough. Pick movies that are unknown or have a special meaning to you. If a movie is a recent or classic box office hit, or is known by most ESOCkers, odds are it is disallowed.

8- The community must go into the movie almost completely "blind." That is without knowledge of the story or genre. However after picking a movie, briefly explain why you have picked it. If your explanation could include spoilers, don't post it until the discussion begins.

9- For a Rule to be changed, a majority of Members must agree to it. (This Rule becomes effective on April 24th.)

10- The responsibility for maintaining the club is mostly in the hands of the Club President. Currently, this is me. However, if Frenchman agrees to close his Basement Movie Club, he may become Co-President of this movie club, since I am unlikely to visit regularly.

Responsibilities include but aren't limited to:

a- Maintaining a list of all Members, Observers and other people of interest.

b- Promoting and demoting participants.

c- Maintaining and updating the movie calendar.

d- Starting and ending the weekly movie discussions.

11- The first three people to declare an interest in participating in the movie club, will become Founding Members! As a Founding Member, you will immediately gain a spot on the movie calendar, without needing to first participate in the discussions.

12- The first movie will be picked on the 24th of this month. The discussion will begin on the 26th, and will continue until the 1st of May. All times are UTC.

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: The ESOC Movie Club

Post by deleted_user »

You have to watch Princess Mononoke.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I would like to lend the ESOC Council's endorsement to this club and express my interest in becoming a founding member.
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

deleted_user wrote:You have to watch Princess Mononoke.

A Chinese cartoon? Mkay. Post here on April 24th along with an explanation of why you picked that particular movie. Make sure not to spoil the story for everyone too.

Laurence Drake wrote:I would like to lend the ESOC Council's endorsement to this club and express my interest in becoming a founding member.

Excellent. You get to pick the second movie, on May 1st.

-

@fightinfrenchman : Have you decided whether to accept the Club Presidency?

-

Since I may not be around next week, I am accepting applications for Temporary Club President, while Frenchman chews on my offer. Anybody up for it?
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

lejend wrote:

A Chinese cartoon? Mkay. Post here on April 24th along with an explanation of why you picked that particular movie. Make sure not to spoil the story for everyone too.

Laurence Drake wrote:I would like to lend the ESOC Council's endorsement to this club and express my interest in becoming a founding member.

-

-

Since I may not be around next week, I am accepting applications for Temporary Club President, while Frenchman chews on my offer. Anybody up for it?

As a founding member of the ESOC Council I believe that I would be ideally qualified for the role of Temporary Club President.
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Laurence Drake wrote:
lejend wrote:

-

-

As a founding member of the ESOC Council I believe that I would be ideally qualified for the role of Temporary Club President.

Well then. If I don't come on here you can run the Club. Be mindful of Rule 10.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Tomorrow we watch the movie club's first ever movie!

Princess Mononoke, suggested by @deleted_user4
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

:O !!
~~(0.0)~~
>:)
United States of America Lord Mick
Crossbow
ESO: LordZelHair

Post by Lord Mick »

Sign me up!
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

lejend wrote:Tomorrow we watch the movie club's first ever movie!

Princess Mononoke, suggested by @deleted_user4

but what if we can't speak chinese?
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Mick I guess you're the third and last Founding Member of the movie club. You will pick your movie after Laurence.

The discussion period started yesterday and will continue until May 1st.

So who's seen the movie Princess Mononoke? @sircallen, why did you pick this movie? Does it have special significance to you? Does it share an important message?

I will post my opinion later.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Ya I got shittered watching it with a friend it gave me the feelies