On Journalistic Integrity, Clickbait, and Sourcing

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

On Journalistic Integrity, Clickbait, and Sourcing

Post by deleted_user »

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by the sheer number of articles that make substantial claims with nothing more than a source that says "___ reportedly." This has become the overwhelming norm in the sort of anti-Trump news articles I'm consistently bombarded with in my everyday internet perusals. Often I do not disagree with the sentiment the article is pushing but I just can't reliably take it as fact...

It's all "aides 'reportedly' say ____" and "close advisor says ____ 'reportedly'" that. How am I supposed to know this shit is true? Even if it is true, even if the institution pushing the story is accredited, why am I supposed to blindly follow it without actual proof? How do we get proof of anything? Why didn't Comey testify the next day?

Perhaps this is the fruition of a wide slew of articles on some heavily left-leaning website all pounding by brain with ridiculously ambitious claims and nothing coming of them. Perhaps it's just the nature of high-intelligence journalism. I don't know!! It's just frustrating!! Is this the norm or am I crazy? Which news outlets are the most reliable?
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Re: On Journalistic Integrity, Clickbait, and Sourcing

Post by Laurence Drake »

Why would journalists make their sources available to their competitors?
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

It's hard to say for sure when something's reliable...but I can tell you sites I don't like.
I don't like CNN because of trash like http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/polit ... ice-cream/
I mean, you just made a headline about ice cream make Trump look bad...

Occupy Dems barely factchecks and relies on emotions and outrage to drive views. They post things like "Republicans can't celebrate Cinco de Mayo because they hate Mexico", quoting random celebrities who should have no extra weight put on their opinion because they're paid money to play pretend.

According to Politifact, Trump is THE most unreliable news source. There is still no wall, Mexico hasn't paid anything, Obamacare wasn't kicked on the first day, just modified, etc etc
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

milku3459 wrote:It's hard to say for sure when something's reliable...but I can tell you sites I don't like.
I don't like CNN because of trash like http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/polit ... ice-cream/
I mean, you just made a headline about ice cream make Trump look bad...

Occupy Dems barely factchecks and relies on emotions and outrage to drive views. They post things like "Republicans can't celebrate Cinco de Mayo because they hate Mexico", quoting random celebrities who should have no extra weight put on their opinion because they're paid money to play pretend.

According to Politifact, Trump is THE most unreliable news source. There is still no wall, Mexico hasn't paid anything, Obamacare wasn't kicked on the first day, just modified, etc etc

The tone of that article isn't surprising given Trump's hostility to CNN.
Top quality poster.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

It doesn't mean CNN has to be an inimicus as well :!:
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

Reliable sources in my opinion: Associated Press, Reuters, C-SPAN, Pew Research and Christian Science Monitor (the name is deceiving but check it out first).
c0ns!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

In Poland: Rzeczpospolita (Latin: Res Publica) :!:
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)