2016 Bests and worsts

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

2016 Bests and worsts

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Now that the year is coming to an end let's take a look back and decide as a group what our favorites and least favorites are in these categories (you can also suggest other categories if you'd like):

- Movies

- TV shows

- Games

Just to start us off, of the movies I saw this year, I would have to say Hacksaw Ridge (directed by Mel Gibson) was the best, and the Independence Day sequel (whose name I can't even remember) was definitely the worst.

(Obviously we aren't trying to come up with objective rankings here, just want to discuss people's thoughts).
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Re: 2016 Bests and worsts

Post by gustavusadolphus »

Best Movie: Hacksaw ridge
Worst movie: You Tube red's "The Thining"
Best Tv Shows: Agents of Sheild
Worst TV Shows: CNN Election 2016 coverage
Best Games: War Thunder: Naval Forces
Worst Games: No Mans Sky
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I don't watch TV/movies, and I'm not a real gamer, so...

Best president-candidate: Donald Trump
Worst president-candidate: Hillary Clinton

Best exit: Brexit
Worst exit: Rest of EU
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Gendarme wrote:I don't watch TV/movies, and I'm not a real gamer, so...

Best president-candidate: Donald Trump
Worst president-candidate: Hillary Clinton

Best exit: Brexit
Worst exit: Rest of EU

I think Ted Cruz was worse actually
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Best Movie: Basement chronichlesh 1
Worst Movie: expelled
Best Tv: election night coverage on CNN (magic board was op).
Worst Tv: agents of shield
Best Game: battlefield 1
Worst Game: 3v3 rush aoe3
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

evilcheadar wrote:Best Movie: Basement chronichlesh 1
Worst Movie: expelled
Best Tv: election night coverage on CNN (magic board was op).
Worst Tv: agents of shield
Best Game: battlefield 1
Worst Game: 3v3 rush aoe3

+1 for 3v3 rush aoe3 (except it is on deccan ofc :ugly: )
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Best movie: split between "10 Cloverfield Lane" and "Everybody Wants Some!!"
Worst: The Purge: Election Year was 20 minutes longer than it needed to be. I also rather disliked Independence Day: Resurgence and Captain America: Civil War

Best tv show: Black Mirror
Worst: I like The Walking Dead, but the end of last season and the current season have been disappointing in several ways. The show always feels like it's just shy of being brilliant.

Best game: Dark Souls III. Hoping to pick of Final Fantasy XV pretty soon as well
Worst: I'm actually pretty unhappy with the way StarCraft II has been going with Legacy of the Void (haven't tested the most recent design changes though). I'm working on a 100-page manifesto on the subject, look to see a TeamLiquid thread sometime in 2017
duck
:mds:
imo
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'm wondering whether I should be worried that I can't really answer any of these questions... I play old games, don't watch TV shows or new movies, apart from a few Polish ones. I guess John Oliver could count as an Internet show... :roll:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Vinyanyérë wrote:Best movie: split between "10 Cloverfield Lane" and "Everybody Wants Some!!"
Worst: The Purge: Election Year was 20 minutes longer than it needed to be. I also rather disliked Independence Day: Resurgence and Captain America: Civil War

Best tv show: Black Mirror
Worst: I like The Walking Dead, but the end of last season and the current season have been disappointing in several ways. The show always feels like it's just shy of being brilliant.

Best game: Dark Souls III. Hoping to pick of Final Fantasy XV pretty soon as well
Worst: I'm actually pretty unhappy with the way StarCraft II has been going with Legacy of the Void (haven't tested the most recent design changes though). I'm working on a 100-page manifesto on the subject, look to see a TeamLiquid thread sometime in 2017

How could you dislike Civil War?
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

It felt like a movie where most of the plot could have been resolved if the characters just had a reasonable conversation with each other. Like a minute-long conversation:

"Hey Iron Man, crazy shit's going down. This guy is going to wake up a bunch of Russian Jason Bournes unless somebody does something about it."
"Do you, specifically, need to be one doing something about it?"
"No, pretty much anyone is fine."
"Cool, I'll let the U.N. know and they can take care of it. In the meanwhile, could y'all chill? You're breaking the law."
"Sure np. Oh by the way, I know how your parents died. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about this earlier."

This clip by Day[9] expands on my thoughts on the subject a little: https://youtu.be/I51QMIK_uGQ?t=9m23s
duck
imo
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

best movie was dr strange!
worst movie... hmm.... that 3rd movie in the davinci code series. just aweful. tom hanks what are you doing?

im afraid my TV show and game list is too inexperienced to vote. but people of earth is pretty good!
i will also say im cringing at the new season of snake island. looks completely fake
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

howlingwolfpaw wrote:best movie was dr strange!
i will also say im cringing at the new season of snake island. looks completely fake

I definitely enjoyed Dr. Strange a lot as well. [spoiler=spoiler]Particularly how he defeated Dormammu in the end.[/spoiler]

Vinyanyérë wrote:It felt like a movie where most of the plot could have been resolved if the characters just had a reasonable conversation with each other. Like a minute-long conversation:

"Hey Iron Man, crazy shit's going down. This guy is going to wake up a bunch of Russian Jason Bournes unless somebody does something about it."
"Cool, I'll let the U.N. know and they can take care of it. In the meanwhile, could y'all chill? You're breaking the law."
"Sure np. Oh by the way, I know how your parents died. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about this earlier."

This clip by Day[9] expands on my thoughts on the subject a little: https://youtu.be/I51QMIK_uGQ?t=9m23s

That's true but I feel like the same logic could be applied to many movies. You can't always expect characters to make the most logical decisions, just like in real life.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06

Post by Vinyanyérë »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:It felt like a movie where most of the plot could have been resolved if the characters just had a reasonable conversation with each other. Like a minute-long conversation:

That's true but I feel like the same logic could be applied to many movies. You can't always expect characters to make the most logical decisions, just like in real life.

It does happen in a lot of movies, yeah, but for whatever reason it felt particularly egregious in Civil War.
duck
imo