Martial Arts

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Metis »

Martial arts will really get you into shape. I took Taekwondo in the army. It was taught by a captain and sergeant major, both 5th Dan black belts, who had actually studied under Korean senseis while stationed over there. Even though we PT every morning, including a three-mile run, that martial arts practice showed me that I wasn't in as good of shape as I thought I was. I've only had to use the knowledge I attained there and in my hand-to-hand army training once, to good effect. However, it really gives one a sense of confidence.

Speaking of confidence, the Army confidence courses also both get you into shape and show you that you can do things you didn't think you could. When I topped the "Jacob's Ladder," I realized that there really wasn't anything that I couldn't do, given that I trained myself properly.

This ladder is similar to the one we had but we didn't have those nice cushions underneath, just sand. And ours had increasing gaps as you went up -- the first twenty feet or so was easy but as you got near the top you actually had to jump to reach the next rung.

Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Post by fungu »

noissance wrote:Is there a martial art that does the cheapest shots you can fire? like knee in the balls or scoop out eyeballs and stuff?

Yes

Of course you can't practise this stuff with full force, but pretty much every traditional martial art teaches self defense = the cheapest shots you can fire.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

eyes/bottom of the nose/throat/neck/balls/kneecap, hit there if you want to hurt. On the face you got to hit where the nerves are, easy one is side of the jaw on the inferior alveolar nerve --> uppercuts are powerful. Others such as celiac plexus or even liver needs lots of practice to apply in real life situations, not worth it. Or you could do bjj + savate or muay thai for 3-4 years and you'll be a beast and you won't need cheap shots. let these to Israelis and Indonesians
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I want to learn martial arts with ball shots and eye pecks
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

i want to perform hadouken
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

almalek wrote:
I remmber our coahes was kicking beasts .. jumping kiks and staff

Our instructors were simply amazing; they could kick you three times before you even registered that their leg was beginning to move. The captain was seriously considering resigning his commision and pursuing martial arts full time. He said that he was at that level where he needed to devote his entire life to it if he was going to advance.