DeepMind vs Starcraft II

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

DeepMind vs Starcraft II

Post by Jaeger »

After DeepMind beat the world champion in Go last year, researchers announced that the next target for DeepMind to conquer is Starcraft II. Does anybody know how good the AI is in starcraft at the moment? Do you guys think it will take decades, or will it be fairly soon?
@Goodspeed

https://deepmind.com/blog/deepmind-and- ... vironment/
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
New Zealand _RNZ_
Crossbow
ESO: _RNZ_

Re: DeepMind vs Starcraft II

Post by _RNZ_ »

I would like to see it play a treaty game. Get a real test of IQ.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah this is exciting, finally we will see near-perfect play in RTS. I'm so excited for the prospect of an AI playing AoE3, it's like being given the answers we've all been looking for for so long, like being shown what the correct way to play each match up is. That won't happen for a while but if DeepMind is successful at Starcraft it could be successful at any RTS, or even any game, or even any clearly defined task. It would be a massive step for AI.

Definitely won't take decades but I don't expect any results in 2017. I haven't kept up but I don't think there have been any detailed status reports as of yet. I doubt they've written a single line of code for the project, probably still breaking their heads over some of the problems introduced by imperfect information games as opposed to perfect information games. Big issues there for AI, I wonder how they'll solve 'em. It feels like, to get to the level pro Koreans are at, you would need a level of creativity that would be impossible to achieve by any known methods.
But then again what is creativity other than reapplying learned patterns? And really, what are we humans other than machines which are very efficient at exactly that? In a way AlphaGo was already creative. It made non-standard moves and in a game as intuitive (as in, simply calculation won't get you very far) as Go, moves like that can be considered creative. It made these moves based only on applying patterns it learned from studying massive amounts of professional games.

@kami_ryu They are indeed limiting the APM to human levels. That way it can't just auto-win with perfect micro.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I wish someome made a perfect micro bot for AOE, even if it was just for musk vs musk. Doesn't seem that hard to make.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

My understanding of the subject is that DeepMind is losing out in one area when going from Go to SC2 (perfect information to imperfect), but gaining in another. In SC2 (AoE3, chess, LoL, DOTA, etc.) it's not too difficult to estimate how a game is going, whereas from what I know this is extremely difficult to do in Go.
duck
:mds:
imo
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Goodspeed wrote:Yeah this is exciting, finally we will see near-perfect play in RTS. I'm so excited for the prospect of an AI playing AoE3, it's like being given the answers we've all been looking for for so long, like being shown what the correct way to play each match up is. That won't happen for a while but if DeepMind is successful at Starcraft it could be successful at any RTS, or even any game, or even any clearly defined task. It would be a massive step for AI.

Definitely won't take decades but I don't expect any results in 2017. I haven't kept up but I don't think there have been any detailed status reports as of yet. I doubt they've written a single line of code for the project, probably still breaking their heads over some of the problems introduced by imperfect information games as opposed to perfect information games. Big issues there for AI, I wonder how they'll solve 'em. It feels like, to get to the level pro Koreans are at, you would need a level of creativity that would be impossible to achieve by any known methods.
But then again what is creativity other than reapplying learned patterns? And really, what are we humans other than machines which are very efficient at exactly that? In a way AlphaGo was already creative. It made non-standard moves and in a game as intuitive (as in, simply calculation won't get you very far) as Go, moves like that can be considered creative. It made these moves based only on applying patterns it learned from studying massive amounts of professional games.

@kami_ryu They are indeed limiting the APM to human levels. That way it can't just auto-win with perfect micro.

I wonder if they would ever release a version of it to the public so you can apply it to whatever game/problem you want. I'm not sure it was deep mind but I think I've heard recently of some AI helping with research in physics.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Last update on the subject that I know of:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20753825636

kami_ryu wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:My understanding of the subject is that DeepMind is losing out in one area when going from Go to SC2 (perfect information to imperfect), but gaining in another. In SC2 (AoE3, chess, LoL, DOTA, etc.) it's not too difficult to estimate how a game is going, whereas from what I know this is extremely difficult to do in Go.

Do you know why Protoss is even good? :D

fucking lasers man
duck
:mds:
imo
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Tbh I think they used a really smart trick to make it good at go. I believe they just uploaded millions of board states from millions of online go matches with information of which board state would eventually win. The AI then was simply building towards board states that would lead to a win. The way it played the game with that information was still really impressive, but I dont see how a trick like this can be applied to an RTS. Theoretically speaking deepmind is a very efficient trial and error machine though so it could possibly end up getting good at an rts. I dont see it happen soon though.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Vinyanenya wrote:Last update on the subject that I know of:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20753825636

kami_ryu wrote:
Vinyanenya wrote:My understanding of the subject is that DeepMind is losing out in one area when going from Go to SC2 (perfect information to imperfect), but gaining in another. In SC2 (AoE3, chess, LoL, DOTA, etc.) it's not too difficult to estimate how a game is going, whereas from what I know this is extremely difficult to do in Go.

Do you know why Protoss is even good? :D

fucking lasers man
Oh cool they are releasing the API. For people who don't know what this means: basically Blizzard is releasing the toolset Google will end up using for their AI to interact with the game publicly, so others can have a go at making bots for it. I'm sure some devs will go crazy with that, should be good.

@momuuu There are way too many different game states in Go for them to use a trick as simple as what you described. Even in Chess that wouldn't work. You can't just build towards a winning position because after 5% of the game is played your game state is already unique and, to a brute force machine, unrelatable to any other game state. They used a neural network to recognize patterns in the moves human professionals made and tried to mimic those moves as closely as possible. It can be argued that simply that (trying to reapply what worked previously to new and unique situations) is what creativity is. Why wouldn't the same approach work for an RTS?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob

Post by n0el »

The AI marine splits :o :o :o
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I am really sure they used a trick like that but then also of course theres some sort of intelligence that the AI does. I don't think it ends up being an impossibility though. In that sort of method go becomes easier to calculate because the AI doesnt actually have to think far ahead which means it won't struggle with that enormous branching factor.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

If they didn't think it could work I'm sure they wouldn't have made a big announcment that they will try to make it work.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:I am really sure they used a trick like that but then also of course theres some sort of intelligence that the AI does. I don't think it ends up being an impossibility though. In that sort of method go becomes easier to calculate because the AI doesnt actually have to think far ahead which means it won't struggle with that enormous branching factor.
But see, it's not a "trick". On the contrary, it is a big step in the field of AI to go from calculating every possibility as efficiently as possible, which is how Chess computers still operate to this day, to recognizing patterns seen in previous games and applying them to a new, unique game state. Removing the necessity to calculate everything and still playing a game like Go better than any human is precisely what is so impressive about the AlphaGo project.
Pattern recognition. Call it a trick, but really that is what we do all day every day as humans. We just either do it very efficiently or the computing power in our brains is so vast that we don't have to. Probably a combination of the two.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

If we left a bunch of computer parts together in a pile for billions of years, I wonder, would DeepMind appear eventually?
Or even a Babbage Calculator for that matter.
New Zealand _RNZ_
Crossbow
ESO: _RNZ_

Post by _RNZ_ »

milku3459 wrote:If we left a bunch of computer parts together in a pile for billions of years, I wonder, would DeepMind appear eventually?

nah g up2??? xoxox
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

_RNZ_ wrote:
milku3459 wrote:If we left a bunch of computer parts together in a pile for billions of years, I wonder, would DeepMind appear eventually?

nah g up2??? xoxox

jakey we all know that's you
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:I am really sure they used a trick like that but then also of course theres some sort of intelligence that the AI does. I don't think it ends up being an impossibility though. In that sort of method go becomes easier to calculate because the AI doesnt actually have to think far ahead which means it won't struggle with that enormous branching factor.
But see, it's not a "trick". On the contrary, it is a big step in the field of AI to go from calculating every possibility as efficiently as possible, which is how Chess computers still operate to this day, to recognizing patterns seen in previous games and applying them to a new, unique game state. Removing the necessity to calculate everything and still playing a game like Go better than any human is precisely what is so impressive about the AlphaGo project.
Pattern recognition. Call it a trick, but really that is what we do all day every day as humans. We just either do it very efficiently or the computing power in our brains is so vast that we don't have to. Probably a combination of the two.

You could call it a trick or just something smart to do but its clearly not that applicable to sc2 or rts games.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Why not?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob

Post by n0el »

ITs basically exactly how the human brain works. You make a response based on how you learned previously.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:Why not?

The amount of "board states" is too large, not to mention the inperfect information.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

n0el wrote:ITs basically exactly how the human brain works. You make a response based on how you learned previously.

While we are good at experience based learning, the human brain is mostly good at extrapolating expetience and then applying it to other cases. Something deepmind cant do at all.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That's debatable. In a way, that's what AlphaGo did. After all it's not doable to calculate every variation. It favoured certain (types of) moves based on what it learned. How is that different from what we do?

The amount of "board states" is too large, not to mention the inperfect information.
The amount of board states has been proven not to be an issue, considering how they approached Go (in which the amount of board states is also much too large). The imperfect info indeed creates some complications, but I don't see how it fundamentally disables the approach they used with AlphaGo. Instead of acting on all of the information, it will act on the info that is there. It should then naturally attempt to gather more of it.