Civ 6

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
South Africa mGravitus
Musketeer

Civ 6

Post by mGravitus »

Anyone else getting it?
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Re: Civ 6

Post by Metis »

I really liked Civ I-III but was a bit disappointed with IV and have hardly played V at all, so I don't think so. I don't know if it's me or the franchise but I don't find Civ as enjoyable as I once did.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Civ II is the ting
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I bought civ 5 already so I'm probably not going to play civ 6 over that. Not when Im as short on money as I am right now.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

^ expected, probably as was mine post xD
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Civ 4 was the last good one.
Top quality poster.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Laurence Drake wrote:Civ 4 was the last good one.

This seems to happen in lots of franchises. Master Of Orion was great, MOO II was fairly good, but III took such a turn to the left that it lost its player-base entirely. Right now, I think AOE III is the pinnacle of the AOE franchise. AOEO was hatched broken and never did get fixed and Castle Siege is just a watered-down version of AOE for mobile devices, albeit a seemingly popular one, which is good for the franchise as a whole.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Metis wrote:

This seems to happen in lots of franchises. Master Of Orion was great, MOO II was fairly good, but III took such a turn to the left that it lost its player-base entirely. Right now, I think AOE III is the pinnacle of the AOE franchise. AOEO was hatched broken and never did get fixed and Castle Siege is just a watered-down version of AOE for mobile devices, albeit a seemingly popular one, which is good for the franchise as a whole.

Actually Aoe3 was received relatively negatively. I think looking at database and generic community opinions, Aoe2 is the uncontested best game in the franchise. Aoe3 is closer to a failure or the case you're describing than to being the pinnacle of the aoe franchise.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

What I would like to see in AOE IV, besides 64-bit encoding, would be the ability to save and continue multiplayer games if someone drops out or the game lasts too long into the wee hours of the morning. If they would combine the entire franchise, where you could advance from ancient times to modern times in a single game, so much the better.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Jerom wrote:
Metis wrote:

Actually Aoe3 was received relatively negatively. I think looking at database and generic community opinions, Aoe2 is the uncontested best game in the franchise. Aoe3 is closer to a failure or the case you're describing than to being the pinnacle of the aoe franchise.

hear, hear.
Top quality poster.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

AOE III is over ten years old and still has a small but fairly active community, hardly a failure in my books.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

iNcog wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

AoE3 wasn't received negatively, though there were quite a few players who felt like it departed too much from AoC, which is a valid opinion, I guess.

He said relatively. Aoe2 received overwhelmingly positive reviews and established the series as a classic. Aoe3 was less well received and failed to reverse the decline of the RTS genre that had set in at that point.
Top quality poster.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Metis wrote:What I would like to see in AOE IV, besides 64-bit encoding, would be the ability to save and continue multiplayer games if someone drops out or the game lasts too long into the wee hours of the morning. If they would combine the entire franchise, where you could advance from ancient times to modern times in a single game, so much the better.

This is an option in AoC, you can save a multiplayer game and quit. It's a safe way to get out of the game without losing points or anything when someone for instance drops, but it has to be outvoted to work. I'm not sure if you're able to continue the game later on, no one tries that as far as I'm concerned :D Also it's on the external server — Voobly — so there might be some further issues with that, although I recall it's somehow possible
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Metis wrote:What I would like to see in AOE IV, besides 64-bit encoding, would be the ability to save and continue multiplayer games if someone drops out or the game lasts too long into the wee hours of the morning. If they would combine the entire franchise, where you could advance from ancient times to modern times in a single game, so much the better.

This is an option in AoC, you can save a multiplayer game and quit. It's a safe way to get out of the game without losing points or anything when someone for instance drops, but it has to be outvoted to work. I'm not sure if you're able to continue the game later on, no one tries that as far as I'm concerned :D Also it's on the external server — Voobly — so there might be some further issues with that, although I recall it's somehow possible
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I already know that Civ 4 is better.
Top quality poster.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

you should be playing in the 2nd chance tourney as you got eliminated in the group stage by yourself
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I bet you don't even play on deity, scrub
Top quality poster.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

@iNcog , there's been an update, maybe try again now?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote: