YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Being as dependent on others as we are for necessities such as food is somewhat scary, to be honest.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iNcog wrote:"Value" is wherever you want it to be.

I can definitely relate to a lot of what Metis is saying, mostly because I can see the value of being independent of most other entities and living off the land. That's how it's done naturally. The fact that we can get away with not doing that is solely because there are other people who are doing it for us. That goes for food but also our "peace". Plenty of American and European soldiers are out there risking their necks so we can sleep peacefully. Russia isn't friendly to us because they're nice guys but because in the end the West won the Cold War. The Cold War ended like 25 years ago, that stuff doesn't just go away.
What's your point? Yes other people are doing it for us, similarly other people are making sure traffic lights function properly, preventing millions of accidents every day. Other people are also flying our planes making sure they don't collide, programming the operating system that you couldn't live without, and saving your loved ones' lives when they get into an accident despite it all. You say you see the value of living off your own crops. Of course it saves money, but that's about it and if you would've spent all that time learning a skill that is actually valuable in the current job market you wouldn't need to save money.
I mean I'm sure that Ukrainians are more easily able to relate to what Metis is describing. They are, after all, in a war zone. Syrians, Africans, etc. Just because we're entitled to living peaceful lives doesn't mean the rest of the world is. There is definitely value in knowing how to live close to nature: especially when you take into account that most of what we're living off of is cheap fossil fuels in the form of coal, natural gas, petrol. Sooner or later we're going to have to stop being so greedy with all that cheap energy and work out how to continue to sustain ourselves naturally.
That is up to humanity's leadership, not me. People in war zones may be able to relate, but I'm not in a war zone so what's that to me?
It's strange that it's so hard to grasp for you guys that having basic survival skills is no longer a priority in our modern society. It's a hobby, and if it's one of yours that's great but please stop pretending it's a necessity.

You know that youtube channel primitive technology?
About Primitive Technology

Primitive technology is a hobby where you make things in the wild completely from scratch using no modern tools or materials. This is the strict rule. If you want a fire- use fire sticks, an axe- pick up a stone and shape it, a hut- build one from trees, mud, rocks etc. The challenge is seeing how far you can go without modern technology. If this hobby interests you then this blog might be what you are looking for.

Also It should be noted that I don’t live in the wild but just practice this as a hobby. I live in a modern house and eat modern food. I just like to see how people in ancient times built and made things. It is a good hobby that keeps you fit and doesn’t cost anything apart from time and effort.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:Being as dependent on others as we are for necessities such as food is somewhat scary, to be honest.
Frankly I am more worried about how much we rely on financial institutions to keep our economy rolling. It's all hanging by a thread.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

iNcog wrote:"what we're living off of is cheap fossil fuels in the form of coal, natural gas, petrol. Sooner or later we're going to have to stop being so greedy with all that cheap energy and work out how to continue to sustain ourselves naturally.

Exactly.

I don't think that many realize just how dependent on fossil fuels global food production is. For instance, the U.S. agriculture industry used nearly 800 trillion British thermal units of energy in 2012. You can add to that the millions of cubic feet of natural gas used to make nitrogen fertilizer. Then add all the fuel used to transport, process and deliver all food to the consumer and you can see how it wouldn't take much disruption in energy production or distribution to severely disrupt food production.

There is an oil glut right now due to new methods of well injection that have made old wells produce again. However, some day all that oil is going to be used up. Current estimates are that we have about 55 years left of economically-viable reserves. When that happens, you are not going to see any more of this anti-coal, gotta stop that carbon footprint mentality. By that time the world will have ten billion or more people. The US and Russia will convert over to using their massive coal reserves to produce the power needed for food. Fortunately, there are at least 500 years of coal reserves left.

Even if we could find a way to produce the equivalent in energy from sustainable methods as we now use in fossil fuels we currently don't have the technology on hand to transfer that energy directly to food production. Tractors require a lot of horsepower. You could make an electric tractor with today's technology but you would lose half of the energy in just lugging around the battery pack. Fossil fuels pack a huge punch where energy per stored fuel volume is concerned. In smaller areas one could envision an overhead power grid like one sees in city electric rail systems. However, in the wide open plains, where most of the food is produced, this would be more difficult to implement.

I'm quite likely going to be dead before the world faces a real (and not politically manufactured) oil shortage crisis. However, many of you will not, and your kids and grandkids will surely be around when the oil runs out. You better start thinking of alternative ways to keep that energy flowing and food production up if you want your descendants to be able to enjoy your current lifestyle.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Goodspeed wrote:
Gendarme wrote:Being as dependent on others as we are for necessities such as food is somewhat scary, to be honest.
Frankly I am more worried about how much we rely on financial institutions to keep our economy rolling. It's all hanging by a thread.

I too. But why not worry about both? ;)
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Because food is not a problem as far as I'm concerned, neither is energy. The move towards renewable energy sources is already underway, it looks like we'll manage.

As far as the economy goes, it'll keep crashing every now and then. What's actually worrying to me is genetically engineered viruses. More worrying than nukes because it would be near impossible to regulate, potentially giving smart terrorists the tools to end humanity by releasing a tiny bit of gas in a busy place.
But let's not work under the assumption that the world will end. And if a disaster does happen, the importance of social skills may surprise you.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Now that we've gone off topic enough, I'll share a YouTube-channel that's not about learning skills, but it sure is about learning. I've spent countless hours procrastinating on YouTube, and I have found only two channels worth subscribing to. Primitive Technology, and this one:

What I've Learned: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYPhG ... ZorfgcL2lA
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:Because food is not a problem as far as I'm concerned, neither is energy. The move towards renewable energy sources is already underway, it looks like we'll manage.

As far as the economy goes, it'll keep crashing every now and then. What's actually worrying to me is genetically engineered viruses. More worrying than nukes because it would be near impossible to regulate, potentially giving smart terrorists the tools to end humanity by releasing a tiny bit of gas in a busy place.
But let's not work under the assumption that the world will end. And if a disaster does happen, the importance of social skills may surprise you.

Social skills are almost everything. In todays society the most important knot to know is the one you use to tie your tie. That should say something.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I can relate to just about everything he said. What he said about college tuition and administrators really hit home.

As an adjunct professor, I was paid about a thousand dollars to teach a three-hour lecture course. Some would say that was all I deserved because I was only talking for three hours a week. Of course, this doesn't reflect the dozens of hours a week I spent in research and preparation of lessons, not to mention the time it took to write exams and prepare other course materials.

Then came grading. When I started teaching I was naive enough to think that the students would benefit more from essay questions than from multiple choice. Do you have any idea how long it takes to grade the essays of three lecture courses, each with 200 students in it? I quickly went to multiple choice and Scantrons. It still took me an hour each exam just to put the Scantrons into alphabetical order.

Back to those 200 students per lecture. Tution at the time was $50 a credit hour. The college thus made $50 x 3 x 200 = $30,000, due to my teaching, from which they paid me $1000. Where did all that money go? Even though my lab had unrepaired leaky faucets and electrical outlets that didn't work, even though the theatre building had a leaky roof, the president still spent $1.5 million dollars to redecorate his administrator's offices. It's not just the students who are being gypped by the educational system, it's the actual educators. The fat cats are the administrators.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Jerom wrote:Social skills are almost everything. In todays society the most important knot to know is the one you use to tie your tie. That should say something.

You continue to have an extraordinarily narrow view of what people actually do when they work. Aren't you of working age yet, or are you still in school? Not everyone is in sales or advertising or PR. Hell, I've not even worn a tie, much less a suit, since I put away my Army Class As.

Jobs with most numbers of workers in 2014:

1 Office Clerks
2 Registered Nurses
3 Customer Service Representatives
4 Secretaries
5 General and Operations Managers
6 Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
7 Accounting and Auditing Clerks
8 Retail Sales Workers
9 Nursing Assistants
10 Office and Administrative Support Workers
11 Sales Representatives
12 Maintenance and Repair Workers
13 Elementary School Teachers
14 Accountants and Auditors
15 Childcare Workers
16 Teacher Assistants
17 Factory Workers
18 Security Guards
19 Receptionists
20 Secondary School Teachers
21 Carpenters
22 Farmers, Ranchers, and Agricultural Workers
23 Food Preparation and Serving Workers
24 Light Truck or Delivery Services Drivers
25 Lawyers
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Theres a large difference between jobs that people do and jobs I'd want to aim for. You surely are smart enough to see your own fallacy here?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Doing stuff yourself has its benefits, but its rather ridiculous to say someone hasnt lived if he hasnt done things like that.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Metis wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:thought you would be making a hangman's noose at first.

The hangman's noose is just about the least useful knot I can think of.

that's subjective.
Top quality poster.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iNcog wrote:tl;dr

Many skills aren't a necessity but they aren't useless as you guys are saying. I'm not a fan of bragging that I don't know how to do anything.
I'm not aware any of us called these skills useless, I certainly didn't. What I'm arguing against is the notion that every human being should learn them.
I think that serves as a reply to your longer post as well.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Jerom wrote:There's a large difference between jobs that people do and jobs I'd want to aim for. You surely are smart enough to see your own fallacy here?

Good luck with your ambitions. Half of college graduates settle for jobs that they didn't study for and a third never do find work in their major field. The reality of the marketplace is that you will find employment if, when and where you can. You don't seem much concerned though, which leads me to think that you are still being supported. Soon, however, the rodents of reality will come around nibbling at your toes, unless you have a wealthy parents and a large trust fund.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-study-s ... ont-match/
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The marketplace for my major is described as "extremely good". Luckily I spent time figuring the future perspective of my degree out instead of learning about crops.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I guess I strive to be more independent and self-reliant than most. Perhaps it's just the way I was raised, by parents and grandparents who weren't born with any "silver spoons" in their mouths. Just the other day Dad was saying that he didn't think that many realized just how poor they were growing up. If you are familiar with US history, Grandad was a sharecropper who farmed with mules, in Oklahoma, during the Depression, in the middle of the Dust Bowl, need I say more?

It may be too that I grew up in rural America in a farming community. Even today, you oftentimes can't just call someone here to come over and fix something for you. For instance, I have a recall on my truck. I've fixed the issue myself as otherwise I'd have to drive over 100 miles to a dealership. Out here you learn to be self-reliant and independent by necessity. If the wheat is ripe and your combine breaks down you fix it, you can't afford to wait or you may lose that year's crop.

I realize that many of you don't per se need to be self-reliant or to learn any practical skills. However, to be obstinately opposed to doing seems a very strange way of thinking to me. I notice that many of you are from the Netherlands, perhaps it's a reflection of the way you were indoctrinated in school. I'd bet though, that if I spoke to a Dutch farmer I'd get a whole different way of thinking.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Jerom wrote:The marketplace for my major is described as "extremely good". Luckily I spent time figuring the future perspective of my degree out instead of learning about crops.

Have you ever heard the adage "Don't put all your eggs in one basket?" Just because the job market for a degree major is good today doesn't mean that it will be good tomorrow.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

You're absolutely right. Time to throw my plans out of the window and start preparing for survival!
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Jerom wrote:You're absolutely right. Time to throw my plans out of the window and start preparing for survival!

Again with the obstinate attitude and snarky retort. I'm not saying that you should learn how to knapp flint and make reed arrows, I'm saying that you should have a contingency plan just in case you can't find a job in your desired field. As a recent study showed that half of graduates did not find employment in their primary area of education, I'd say that it just makes sense to broaden your scope a bit just in case.

I'm speaking from experience here, as an educator who has advised thousands of students over the years. At my college we would meet with prospective employers and ask them what education and skills they wanted in a new hire and adjust the curriculum as needed. We also arranged for the students to participate in at least one paid internship. As a result, we had a very high placement rate for those who wanted jobs and those who didn't get jobs immediately usually went on to further their education.

The employers would say that they wanted people with a core skill set but also the ability to adapt to changing situations. Of course, my program trained field researchers and technicians too, a job area that requires you to have both in-depth scientific training plus a diverse skill set. Many of my students were from Central America, in the US studying in the CASS program -- Cooperative Association of States for Scholarships (now called, SEED -- Scholarships for Education and Economic Development). These students, especially, had to learn how to be self-reliant and independent as it was less likely that they were going to be able to "order out" while doing things like performing an environmental impact study in some place like rural Honduras.