YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Re: YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Post by farran34 »

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Haven't completely read this whole thread, but I found this quote particularly interesting. While I think it is important for one to have a well-rounded education and to have various basic skills, I think Heinlein is downplaying specialization here. I should note that I am more applying Heinlein to academics rather than real-world skills, but I think it still applies somewhat.

I am a big fan of majoring in fields such as history, philosophy, literature, economics, religion, and other degrees similar (or technical degree doubled with a degree like I mentioned), and going to grad school for specialization. I am a fan of the humanities mostly because I think it helps one develop themselves more as a person and that it teaches them how to think and write, rather than just doing the specialized skill they are learning in many non-human. For instance, I would rather see a person seeking to work in business having either been a double majored or having a degree such as history, rather than simply majoring in business admin, which doesn't really teach you much outside of how businesses work.

Having said this, however, I think it is important to specialize in something (or a few things) at some point. For instance, I would love to see the person seeking to work in business having majored in history with a minor in business (or double major), and after landing a job in business then seeking an MBA or a way to really specialize in business, rather than continuing to study history or whatever their general interests are in extreme detail (not to say they cannot make it a hobby).

No one can be a true expert in an abundance of various fields, and if one tries they will end up being an expert in no field. I would love to be an expert in philosophy, religious studies, physics, economics, survival skills, and law; however, this is not realistic. I have decided to pursue a degree in philosophy with a minor in business for my undergrad career (at a liberal arts college), and go to law school which is where I will specialize and hope to pursue a job in law. This education path, and by the time I finish I hope to be an 'expert' in the area of law I study, yet competent in various other fields (I have many free electives to pursue other topics than just philosophy and business). While I may be competent in various other fields, I would never consider myself an expert in these fields, as to be a true expert I would need to devote to either go to grad school studying them, or spend unreal amounts of time attempting to learn about them on my own.

Anyway, this is not 100% on topic of this thread I think, but I see so many people insult the humanities I just felt like posting this since it is somewhat relevant ;p
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Metis wrote:I guess I strive to be more independent and self-reliant than most. Perhaps it's just the way I was raised, by parents and grandparents who weren't born with any "silver spoons" in their mouths. Just the other day Dad was saying that he didn't think that many realized just how poor they were growing up. If you are familiar with US history, Grandad was a sharecropper who farmed with mules, in Oklahoma, during the Depression, in the middle of the Dust Bowl, need I say more?

It may be too that I grew up in rural America in a farming community. Even today, you oftentimes can't just call someone here to come over and fix something for you. For instance, I have a recall on my truck. I've fixed the issue myself as otherwise I'd have to drive over 100 miles to a dealership. Out here you learn to be self-reliant and independent by necessity. If the wheat is ripe and your combine breaks down you fix it, you can't afford to wait or you may lose that year's crop.
Yes these are perfectly valid reasons why you strive to be independent and self-reliant, and why you consider these skills important. Your life has clearly been very different from ours. It strikes me as odd, though, that after spending all these years on internet forums among younger people than yourself you still lack any kind of perspective. Your way of life is not the only way of life, especially in an increasingly digital world. It can't come as a surprise to you that a person working in the world of software and a person on their way to becoming a physicist don't prioritize survival skills.

However, to be obstinately opposed to doing seems a very strange way of thinking to me. I notice that many of you are from the Netherlands, perhaps it's a reflection of the way you were indoctrinated in school. I'd bet though, that if I spoke to a Dutch farmer I'd get a whole different way of thinking.
I can't speak for Jerom but I don't think we are opposed to learning survival skills, that wouldn't make a lot of sense. As far as I know, all either of us have stated is that we would rather spend our time learning other skills which have a higher probability of being useful to us in the future, or spend our time on hobbies. But then you come in and basically tell us we're wrong. Indoctrinated? Oh please. I get that the rapid digitalization of our world feels foreign to you, but it's our reality and one we have chosen to adapt to. Consider the point of view of a person who grew up with computers, with the internet, and who never had any issues with food or shelter.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Also, more on topic of this thread, I think survival skills have value in the satisfaction that comes from them and rare occasions where one can use them and save money (or look impressive), but in no way do I see them as being necessary or even incredibly valuable in most first world countries, outside of the above mentioned reasons. Unless one lives a lifestyle where they will constantly go camping, hiking, or other related activities, in my experience I feel most people who claim survival skills (and many of the other skills mentioned in this thread) to be absolutely vital and necessary are mostly just trying to boost their own ego by appearing to be 'manly' or something similar, while making those who do not happen to hold similar interests and knowledge out to be pussies or lacking greatly.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

If you have the time and money, a "classical" education is great; it helps one become a well-rounded individual. I once worked doing building maintenance for four years to make ends meet while studying philosophy just for my personal edification. However, good luck finding a job with only a philosophy degree. I know a man with a PhD in philosophy who works as a janitor at a university. My cousin, who had a degree in linguistics and German literature, could only find a job doing data entry right out of college, next to him sat another individual with a PhD in philosophy. At one college where I got a graduate degree, the philosophy department would not even accept you unless you double majored in another area where you could find employment. You have to have practical skills as well as scholarly knowledge if you are going to make it in this world. Remember that Spinoza made lenses to make ends meet.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Metis wrote:
Jerom wrote:You're absolutely right. Time to throw my plans out of the window and start preparing for survival!

Again with the obstinate attitude and snarky retort. I'm not saying that you should learn how to knapp flint and make reed arrows, I'm saying that you should have a contingency plan just in case you can't find a job in your desired field. As a recent study showed that half of graduates did not find employment in their primary area of education, I'd say that it just makes sense to broaden your scope a bit just in case.

I'm not the one attacking other's life decisions constantly here. I literally don't even have a field, the degree I'm doing is very well rounded with a focus on maths and problem solving skills. To diversify my education Ive learned to play an instrument, followed a few different subjects, played sports, games, followed politics and news, and, most importantly, tried to constantly improve my social skills. I think all of these are far better suggestions than trying to learn how to sustain yourself, which is honestly a very outdated skill and hardly more than a hobby, unlike you are making it out to be.

The thing I'm opposing is your snarky and downgrading attitude towards people that do not see much in your life decisions, almost as if you truly think you are the perfect human being - which I am starting to believe might actually be what you think. Saying people that chose to do different things "have not lived" is a really shortsighted attitude, maybe you are the one here that could broaden his scope. I'm also opposing the relevance you see in some of these skills. Most of these things you have mentioned, like survival skills, fishing skills, hunting or what not, are nothing but a way to spend free time in todays society. If we want meat, we buy it at the store. You're trying to justify these visions with some sort of doomsday attitude, which I guess is your good right but surely not a realistic attitude that I share.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Goodspeed wrote: Indoctrinated? Oh please. Perspective, Metis.

Everyone has been indoctrinated. You are indoctrinated by your parents, teachers, political and religious leaders, peers and your culture in general. Even if you eventually learn that you must "look beyond the veil," to gain a larger perspective, that indoctrination is hard to overcome because your brain developed to think a certain way during the time your synapses were forming their basic connections. You are literally fighting your own biology when trying to overcome indoctrination.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Why would you fight indoctrination if you were indoctrinated with the truth?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Metis wrote:
Goodspeed wrote: Indoctrinated? Oh please. Perspective, Metis.

Everyone has been indoctrinated. You are indoctrinated by your parents, teachers, political and religious leaders, peers and your culture in general. Even if you eventually learn that you must "look beyond the veil," to gain a larger perspective, that indoctrination is hard to overcome because your brain developed to think a certain way during the time your synapses were forming their basic connections. You are literally fighting your own biology when trying to overcome indoctrination.
Indoctrinate: "teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically."

The key word here is uncritically. I think the word you were looking for given your apparent meaning is "influenced", "shaped". I'm not sure what school you went to, but where I went we were taught how to read, how to add numbers, how the world works. Above all we were taught critical thinking. That's not indoctrination.

But the point is, do you understand our perspective? Are you at all able to empathize with our choice not to focus on basic survival but on skills which are likely to be useful to us in today's job market instead?
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I started this thread in the first place to show some interesting YouTube channels where one could learn new and interesting skills. Some of you found those channels interesting and some of you "poo pooed" them as useless and archaic. Fine, to each his own. Please post some links to channels that you find interesting. I'm not talking entertainment here but something that teaches a skill. If not a hands-on practical skill, it could be something like critical thinking, solving puzzles, etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Metis wrote:I started this thread in the first place to show some interesting YouTube channels where one could learn new and interesting skills. Some of you found those channels interesting and some of you "poo pooed" them as useless and archaic. Fine, to each his own. Please post some links to channels that you find interesting. I'm not talking entertainment here but something that teaches a skill. If not a hands-on practical skill, it could be something like critical thinking, solving puzzles, etc.
Your Heinlein quote and the fact that you seem to think anyone who doesn't know these skills has not lived, triggered me. At the very least it prompted me to explain to you that yours is not the only perspective.
Educational youtube videos that I've watched won't mean anything to you on account of my specialization ;) they are all about programming.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Indoctrination, from Latin doctrina ‘teaching, learning,’ from doctor ‘teacher,’ from docere ‘teach.’ -- "to imbue with an idea or opinion."
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

From what I've read and from how I've seen the word used before, the "discouraging critical thought" is an important part of the definition. Basically it's the difference between teaching and indoctrinating.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Metis wrote:I started this thread in the first place to show some interesting YouTube channels where one could learn new and interesting skills. Some of you found those channels interesting and some of you "poo pooed" them as useless and archaic. Fine, to each his own. Please post some links to channels that you find interesting. I'm not talking entertainment here but something that teaches a skill. If not a hands-on practical skill, it could be something like critical thinking, solving puzzles, etc.

Some of the sciency channels are pretty fun. I enjoyed PBS Space Time quite a bit. Also I generically learn quite a lot from various guitar performances on pieces Ive been playing. Generally though, I tend to not use youtube as a source to learn things.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

im going d'accord with jerom, pbs space time is very interesting and informative, this earned my blessings
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

You're the one who showed it to me in the first place I think. Although I might've come across it just before you showed it to me, I don't actually remember. Generally though I don't use youtube to acquire skills unless I need them on the spot. I also tend to focus my free time on learning things that are different than what I do in school anyways.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Here is a really good channel for those interested in Chemistry. The professor was recently knighted for his contribution to British science education.

https://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos

YouTube, of course, has a lot of dross, you can't have a place where more then 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute not contain quite a bit of nonsense. However, Youtube has become an excellent, and I dare say perhaps the best, source for video material on science education.

Back when i was teaching it was costly and time consuming to order a tape or laserdisc containing animations or presentations that I didn't have the time or resources to create or perform myself. Also, some demonstrations were just too dangerous to perform or too time consuming to show to small groups, considering that we had only limited protective gear and limited space in front of the fume hood.

However, now, if, say, I wanted to show the interesting way that mercury (II) thiocyanate reacts when combusted I could find dozens of videos about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQdK7gaZS0k

Or, I could spend an hour working at the chalkboard and not give students the "feel" of what happens when DNA transcription takes place nearly as well as this video does in a couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMtWvDbfHLo
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Metis wrote:If you have the time and money, a "classical" education is great; it helps one become a well-rounded individual. I once worked doing building maintenance for four years to make ends meet while studying philosophy just for my personal edification. However, good luck finding a job with only a philosophy degree. I know a man with a PhD in philosophy who works as a janitor at a university. My cousin, who had a degree in linguistics and German literature, could only find a job doing data entry right out of college, next to him sat another individual with a PhD in philosophy. At one college where I got a graduate degree, the philosophy department would not even accept you unless you double majored in another area where you could find employment. You have to have practical skills as well as scholarly knowledge if you are going to make it in this world. Remember that Spinoza made lenses to make ends meet.

Well, I originally was going into business and was a double major in business and philosophy. My interests changed, and I will be attending law school instead upon graduation. Having just a degree in philosophy is completely fine for getting into law schools, in fact, philosophy majors tend to outscore almost all other majors on the LSAT. If I wanted to go into business after graduation, either I would need to have majored in business or have a good internship which would lead to a job, preferably both.

It certainly can be hard to find work directly out of college with just a degree in philosophy, but I have known people who minored in something else and pursued internships, which have done fine out of college. Getting a PhD in philosophy would probably hurt your marketability since you would appear to be highly overqualified for most jobs.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Of course, as a prerequisite for more education a philosophy degree is just fine. It's when someone goes out with only a BA in philosophy and thinks that they will find meaningful employment just because they have a degree that the trouble begins. Employers value people who are able to think clearly and present a valid argument but they also want people with a specific skill set relevant to the job at hand. The study of philosophy is a good adjunct to one's other education but it can't stand alone as the only education one receives in today's job market.

From a University bulletin (condensed to make a point). If you read between the lines you can see that they pretty much say you aren't likely to get a job in philosophy with your philosophy degree.

What sort of careers do philosophy majors choose? Some majors decide to go on to graduate work in philosophy, and some of these end up teaching philosophy. How does the study of philosophy train you for a career? Universities are not vocational schools. Our goal is to educate, to help you develop critical faculties and to broaden your intellectual horizon. The primary goal is not to get a job but the knowledge and skills you acquire by being a philosophy major will be rewarding. With your degree you can go on to law school, medical school, business school or perhaps even government.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Metis wrote:Of course, as a prerequisite for more education a philosophy degree is just fine. It's when someone goes out with only a BA in philosophy and thinks that they will find meaningful employment just because they have a degree that the trouble begins. Employers value people who are able to think clearly and present a valid argument but they also want people with a specific skill set relevant to the job at hand. The study of philosophy is a good adjunct to one's other education but it can't stand alone as the only education one receives in today's job market.

From a University bulletin (condensed to make a point). If you read between the lines you can see that they pretty much say you aren't likely to get a job in philosophy with your philosophy degree.

What sort of careers do philosophy majors choose? Some majors decide to go on to graduate work in philosophy, and some of these end up teaching philosophy. How does the study of philosophy train you for a career? Universities are not vocational schools. Our goal is to educate, to help you develop critical faculties and to broaden your intellectual horizon. The primary goal is not to get a job but the knowledge and skills you acquire by being a philosophy major will be rewarding. With your degree you can go on to law school, medical school, business school or perhaps even government.

I agree simply getting a degree in philosophy, without taking other measures to make yourself marketable in a certain field, is not smart if someone expects to find a solid job upon graduation (without further education). I have seen people succeed from my college with only a philosophy degree, however, they had great internships in their minor (such as marketing). Usually if someone just has a BA in philosophy then they will pursue further education, as a BA in philosophy alone is not enough to compete in today's job market, and many people attracted to philosophy are also attracted to pursuing further education.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Since knowledge = power and Metis knows a lot, could he be considered the most powerful aoe3 gamer there is? Or is there somebody playing aoe3 who is also in politics?
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I know a lot. I just don't have skills. skills != power
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

farran34 wrote:
Metis wrote:Of course, as a prerequisite for more education a philosophy degree is just fine. It's when someone goes out with only a BA in philosophy and thinks that they will find meaningful employment just because they have a degree that the trouble begins. Employers value people who are able to think clearly and present a valid argument but they also want people with a specific skill set relevant to the job at hand. The study of philosophy is a good adjunct to one's other education but it can't stand alone as the only education one receives in today's job market.

I agree simply getting a degree in philosophy, without taking other measures to make yourself marketable in a certain field, is not smart if someone expects to find a solid job upon graduation (without further education). I have seen people succeed from my college with only a philosophy degree, however, they had great internships in their minor (such as marketing). Usually if someone just has a BA in philosophy then they will pursue further education, as a BA in philosophy alone is not enough to compete in today's job market, and many people attracted to philosophy are also attracted to pursuing further education.

A BA in anything alone will not get you a good job.
Top quality poster.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Jerom wrote:You're the one who showed it to me in the first place I think. Although I might've come across it just before you showed it to me, I don't actually remember. Generally though I don't use youtube to acquire skills unless I need them on the spot. I also tend to focus my free time on learning things that are different than what I do in school anyways.

yes, that was me.

and i do know that from myself, too. study= sociology , free time = astrophysics e.g.

blessings
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Laurence Drake wrote:
farran34 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

A BA in anything alone will not get you a good job.

a BA in anything *at a good school* and particularly in philosophy will get you a great job. Otherwise yea you're stuck to practical majors, that's the nuance metis doesn't get
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Howdah

Post by Metis »

benj89 wrote:a BA in anything *at a good school* and particularly in philosophy will get you a great job. Otherwise yea you're stuck to practical majors, that's the nuance metis doesn't get

If you are a legacy of one of the moneyed aristocracy, of course any old BA will do, the old boy network will ensure you have a job,