War Gaming's founder is now a billionaire

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

War Gaming's founder is now a billionaire

Post by Metis »

The Belarusian man who founded the company that produces World of Tanks, World of Warships and related titles has attained billionaire status. You ought to check out these games -- they are free to play with paid premium content. However, unlike AOEO, the free side of the game is in no way inferior to the paid side. Payment pretty much only speeds up advancement to levels that the avid player will eventually reach anyway. If you play enough, there is also a chance to win premium content. In a week of playing World of Warships, I've already won items worth $30 at the premium shop. The servers are quite active and it usually takes less than a minute or two to get a game.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... om-belarus
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: War Gaming's founder is now a billionaire

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

iNcog wrote:Are they good games though?

I prefer it when stuff is closer to sims rather than games, if they're trying to emulate something historical.

The games are rather fast paced with battles less than 30 minutes in order to hold the interests of the younger players. However, the historical and graphical detail of the warships is what I like best. Through the World of Warships game you can actually learn a great deal about the warships used in the world in the early 20th century. The battles start with pre-WWI dreadnought-era ships and continue to those used in WWII. Fan content adds to the historical aspect. My favorite fan channel is "The Mighty Jingles" which is casted by a retired Royal Navy Petty officer with 22 years' service. He has a good historical spiel on each ship before he shows it in the game.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Those games are quite good, many people that I know IRL play them.
Great Britain Panmaster
Skirmisher

Post by Panmaster »

WarThunder get's boring fast watching the nth shell bounce off those pay-to-win T34 E tanks.
Plus the realism mode isn't very realistic when there's Panzer's and Shermans on the same side...
TAD AI Reference Guide
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

This free to play marketis meh. Most of them are shitty games, and in most of them the paid content interferes with the core game. And in the end, if you do decide to pay, you pay alot more for the content you get than you would if you just bought a normal game. It's totally silly imo. There are a few exceptions, LoL is one, apparantly WoT as well.

They should make more games such as witcher3, and stop with this dlc bs as well. Having a few addons and expansions is fine, but releasing a butchered game which the player has to patch back together with overpriced dlc is not.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

umeu wrote:This free to play marketis meh.

You could pay several hundred dollars for extra content in WOWS. Or, you could play it completely for free as I'm doing. If you play enough and are halfway decent you can get premium content anyway. I've already got a commander and am about a week away, if all goes well, from winning a tier VII ship.

In fact, the "pay to win" aspect never much interested me. Sure, you can fork over a hundred bucks for a fully-decked-out ship, but what's the point. Half the fun of these games is leveling up your unit and finding out what new improvement lies just around the corner. Neither does it matter if you have the "biggest badass" ship in the game if you are not a good player, because an unupgraded free player in a tiny ship can still send a salvo of torpedoes into your hull and sink you to the bottom.
Japan Shikamaze
Crossbow

Post by Shikamaze »

Metis wrote:The Belarusian man who founded the company that produces World of Tanks, World of Warships and related titles has attained billionaire status. You ought to check out these games -- they are free to play with paid premium content. However, unlike AOEO, the free side of the game is in no way inferior to the paid side. Payment pretty much only speeds up advancement to levels that the avid player will eventually reach anyway. If you play enough, there is also a chance to win premium content. In a week of playing World of Warships, I've already won items worth $30 at the premium shop. The servers are quite active and it usually takes less than a minute or two to get a game.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... om-belarus
I thought you were only doing productive things in your life.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Oh, I've got plenty to do. This is vacation week though and I need to get 21,000 more XP before Dec 1st to get my free ship. I average 550 XP per game so that means I'm going to have to play about 40 games before then. Guy's gotta have priorities. LOL.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Metis wrote:
umeu wrote:This free to play marketis meh.

You could pay several hundred dollars for extra content in WOWS. Or, you could play it completely for free as I'm doing. If you play enough and are halfway decent you can get premium content anyway. I've already got a commander and am about a week away, if all goes well, from winning a tier VII ship.

In fact, the "pay to win" aspect never much interested me. Sure, you can fork over a hundred bucks for a fully-decked-out ship, but what's the point. Half the fun of these games is leveling up your unit and finding out what new improvement lies just around the corner. Neither does it matter if you have the "biggest badass" ship in the game if you are not a good player, because an unupgraded free player in a tiny ship can still send a salvo of torpedoes into your hull and sink you to the bottom.

Well the point is that in a finished game you pay like 70$ for everything you need. In a free to play, that amount wont even scratch the surface. And you pay membership for what is basically an online clubhouse
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Well, I got my first premium content simply through playing World of Warships for free. She's a fine piece of work, and the ship's not too bad either.

I have no idea what the crew is saying as it's all in Japanese but those girls really get excited when the ship is attacked.
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

I'm going to have to agree with metis on this one the games are both fun and historical. I have played War thunder and world of tanks for the past four years and they have kept my interest without paying a cent. World of warships I have played since it started and i think they have the formula perfect for that game.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND