Best tabletop games

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Best tabletop games

Post by deleted_user0 »

Papist wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Has anyone here played Diplomacy?

YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

Easily my favorite board game of all time. It's a shame I don't have the opportunity to play more often.

doesnt it even take longer than risk? i played it once i think.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

CaH? Seems like the most boring game ever to be honest. Shock value is so 20th century. Most young people think and hear those supposedly shocking things every day.

I like Bamboozled.

phpBB [video]

Risk is okay too.

phpBB [video]
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

umeu wrote:That's where diplomacy comes in! To manouver your allies in such a way that they don't realise you are secretly getting your objective! or, just conquer australia and turtle.
I know, the game is all diplomacy. The thing is in our games as soon as someone gains even the smallest advantage everyone turns against them to prevent them from winning. Turtle with Aus all you want, you will still never be allowed enough territory to win the game no matter what your objective is. Seriously, the game doesn't end. We tried a few times, it just doesn't.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

The Amsterdam meetup in summer 2018 really sparked my interest in board games. @Goodspeed brought quite a few good games and while we didn't even play that many games, it inspired me to explore the hobby. Lately, I have mostly played Carcassonne, Pandemic and Twilight Imperium 4th edition.

Carcassonne is a casual tile-placing game most people here know.

Pandemic is a great game. It's a co-op game meaning you play together against the game. Normal Pandemic is a lot of fun, the expansion (allowing you to play 3vs1 among other things) makes it much better but the real gem is Pandemic:Legacy. A legacy game means that decisions made in game #1 carry over to game #2 and onwards. This means you make permanent changes to the game by applying stickers, writing on the board and tearing up cards. There are also 8 boxes and tons of stickers you can only open as the game progresses, so there is an element of surprise every time you play. If you are interested in learning more, check out this channel.

I also played Twilight Imperium 4th edition, which is a massive game (both in size and game length) which feels like a combination of Risk, Catan and Diplomacy. It's an epic space opera with planets, combat, technology trees, 17 different races and a ton of diplomacy. This game takes at least 4 hours but because it's so exciting and you are hardly ever waiting, you don't really get bored.

What I want to check out:
  • Spirit Island
  • Captain Sonar
  • Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
  • Terraforming Mars
  • Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
  • The Quest for El Dorado (or another deck-builder like Dominion)
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

armwrestling
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums