On endurance in competitive AoE 3

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: On endurance in competitive AoE 3

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:It's mostly likely a case of what we are most comfortable with. Sup players might find TR draining because it recruits different mechanics over a single longer period of time. TR players might find long sup series draining because of the higher amounts of improvisation and strategy and that aren't apparent in TR. we like to settle into comforts.

Stamina in general is important when it counts - in competitive scenarios - in series. Here staying mentally sharp can be a challenge. I find it difficult to play for more than an hour and a half in simple ESO lobbies. If for whatever reason I made it to a series which was a bo7 or greater I would obviously suffer. Note most players who do make it that far are already extremely conditioned because they generally practice the game much more than others which requires those 8,10,12 hour days.

An hour and a half of gameplay is not long at all. Does that include lag time?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Mostly my initial point is the one I'd like to make the most - about habitualized normalcies and their accompanying relative ease.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

This is 100% my achilles heel. If I had a dollar for every game I race out to an early lead and blow it I could fund a tournament.

I know opening builds pretty well but can't really think on my feet past the 20 minute mark or so.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

CurassierAndCurassier wrote:This is 100% my achilles heel. If I had a dollar for every game I race out to an early lead and blow it I could fund a tournament.

I know opening builds pretty well but can't really think on my feet past the 20 minute mark or so.

This is where some rush players tend to fall apart (not all!). I've had many games around captain/1st lut people in rush where the game went past around 30min and they didn't even know about all the critical improvements you need to scale past the enemy both militarily and economically. Some threw away potential wins because they didn't know the full power of the arsenal of forgot about the capitol ect. If you are a rush player, playing treaty can definitely give you edge come the late game both in endurance and general strategy.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

I hear @evilcheadar had a 6 hour treaty game! Amazing endurance. Could be a world record for an aoe game.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Treaty vs sup endurance is not as large a gap as the time suggests. The game mode separates the economic decisions from the military ones and has a lot more repetitivesness to it. In gaming the endurance breakdowns are in decision making and control.

The most strain for me is always long tournament series.

This is a fun topic.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

_H2O wrote:Treaty vs sup endurance is not as large a gap as the time suggests. The game mode separates the economic decisions from the military ones and has a lot more repetitivesness to it. In gaming the endurance breakdowns are in decision making and control.

The most strain for me is always long tournament series.

This is a fun topic.

You missed out on a lot of fun topics the past few months.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

I feel like these three are just blindly trying to proove that they and treaty are better than sup players and sup.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

yemshi wrote:I feel like these three are just blindly trying to proove that they and treaty are better than sup players and sup.

Your feeling is very wrong, try posting an opinion that is at least informed by facts.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

gustavusadolphus wrote:Another part of this is rush players willingness to resign so soon. If rush players had more endurance we might see longer more competitive games. I don't like watching streamz where people quit due to silly thinks like crates not being What they hope.

Let's ask a master of endurance @EAGLEMUT
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

This plays through Eagle's head whenever he refuses to resign:

phpBB [video]
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

I think keeping your composure and head in the right place are important for endurance. Reassuring yourself of your abilities and recalling what are your strengths and weaknesses in the match up (whilst playing) can prevent tilting and silly mistakes/dumb decisions from being made. I've seen many games in which people start telling themselves they suck or that they are playing bad and then start making mistakes after the fact! Like if saying you suck makes you actually suck sometimes.
De Funk
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Hidddy_ wrote:I think keeping your composure and head in the right place are important for endurance. Reassuring yourself of your abilities and recalling what are your strengths and weaknesses in the match up (whilst playing) can prevent tilting and silly mistakes/dumb decisions from being made. I've seen many games in which people start telling themselves they suck or that they are playing bad and then start making mistakes after the fact! Like if saying you suck makes you actually suck sometimes.

This is definitely something AoE 3 players need to work on in general. So many ragequits and people uninstalling the game, just seems weird to me.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Hidddy_ wrote:I think keeping your composure and head in the right place are important for endurance. Reassuring yourself of your abilities and recalling what are your strengths and weaknesses in the match up (whilst playing) can prevent tilting and silly mistakes/dumb decisions from being made. I've seen many games in which people start telling themselves they suck or that they are playing bad and then start making mistakes after the fact! Like if saying you suck makes you actually suck sometimes.

@Mitoe
No Flag dave_12
Skirmisher

Post by dave_12 »

You don't have to think in treaty games. You don't have to make decisions
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

dave_12 wrote:You don't have to think in treaty games. You don't have to make decisions

That's simply untrue
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

dave_12 wrote:You don't have to think in treaty games. You don't have to make decisions

you are probably losing a lot then
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Only on Andes and other inferior maps.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk