User avatar
Canada Warno
Skirmisher
Donator 06
Posts: 157
ESO: Warno

23 Apr 2018, 18:16

Cometk wrote:some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
3) any other ideas for improving or adding to the event.
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)



I think a completely random tournament would be incredible for viewers to watch.

In the game lobby civs are given a number, using a random number generator the players are picked their civs. Then give 2 mins to think of strategy and play game. Adding random map to that would make it even better because strats would have to be thought of on the go.
User avatar
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
Posts: 8600
ESO: Pezet
Location: Warsaw, Poland

23 Apr 2018, 18:26

despite my short spell I enjoyed the format and even if I'm not overly active nowadays, I still signed up due to the duration of the competition
I tuned in the stream for the finals, which were very nice despite some technical difficulties :smile:
wołk :food:
User avatar
United States of America dicktator_
Lancer
EWT
Posts: 827

23 Apr 2018, 19:25

Warno wrote:
Cometk wrote:some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
3) any other ideas for improving or adding to the event.
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)



I think a completely random tournament would be incredible for viewers to watch.

In the game lobby civs are given a number, using a random number generator the players are picked their civs. Then give 2 mins to think of strategy and play game. Adding random map to that would make it even better because strats would have to be thought of on the go.

Sounds like a lot of fun but not fair at all. There are too many unfair matchups. Would have to be a <$50 prize pool event imo.
User avatar
Canada Warno
Skirmisher
Donator 06
Posts: 157
ESO: Warno

23 Apr 2018, 19:42

dicktator_ wrote:
Warno wrote:
Cometk wrote:some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
3) any other ideas for improving or adding to the event.
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)



I think a completely random tournament would be incredible for viewers to watch.

In the game lobby civs are given a number, using a random number generator the players are picked their civs. Then give 2 mins to think of strategy and play game. Adding random map to that would make it even better because strats would have to be thought of on the go.

Sounds like a lot of fun but not fair at all. There are too many unfair matchups. Would have to be a <$50 prize pool event imo.


We would see I guess, I am sure before the tourney started that everyone thought India > Japan but Mitoe changed a few things up and won.

EDIT - Regardless, if admins would want to take this idea I don't mind helping to fund it.
User avatar
Netherlands MCJim
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 2478
ESO: MCJim
Location: The Netherlands

23 Apr 2018, 20:03

kami_ryu wrote:Isn't some coverage better than no coverage? We don't NEED to cover anything, but the more the better.

We are not in a situation where there is no coverage right. There is coverage.

The thing that worries me is that people always tend to think that the more means the better. Often, more isn't better. In fact, you produce more with the same amount of manpower. Often, that leads to a loss of quality.
:food: AoE3 YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jimleem1
:wood: AoE3 Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_
User avatar
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
Posts: 2551
ESO: edeholland
Location: Not ede
GameRanger Id: 4053888

23 Apr 2018, 20:09

What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.
Whiteboards are remarkable
Not living in Ede
--- h2o Rip ---
In the beginning ESOC was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
User avatar
Netherlands MCJim
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 2478
ESO: MCJim
Location: The Netherlands

25 Apr 2018, 15:33

I just finished the YouTube work. I got some more feedback:

- Put some text small below that shows the round.
- Make sure casters are casting on their main account.
- Make sure casters start with an intro before the game starts.
- Provide an event-related overlay.

Furthermore, a YouTube thumbnail will make sure more people watch the videos. (But I already told it in PM) @Cometk
:food: AoE3 YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jimleem1
:wood: AoE3 Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 5472

25 Apr 2018, 17:31

I thought I'd love having two streams. That's twice as much aoe and twice as much opportunity to shitpost and half the probablility of missing a really good game, yeah? Then I wasn't home and had to watch on mobile and needless to say I disliked having two streams then; it's much more difficult to switch between the two, to follow conversations and to follow games. I imagine me insane apm on mobile is comparable to a normal person with normal aoe interest and a normal amount of free time and normal real world social stimulus on desktop so as to say it was a real lesson in understanding. I'm a high-ranked twitch fiend.

I admit I think it's best to not stretch casters so thin and to instead use those resources on one channel where the casting periods aren't so long. I mean even casting semis + finals is too long for two casters.

Yeah the best games might be missed, but having everything and everyone in one place makes up for that.
theoretically derive and empirically amend -- the one-size-fits-all approach to approaching everything
User avatar
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
Posts: 7295
ESO: Funnu
Location: Ramadanistan

25 Apr 2018, 17:47

IMO QF & SF should be bo3, and F bo5, and all casted. I was satisfied with last weekend, overall.
sudmakmak wrote:This patch Keshik don't have buff anti cavalry = noob patch2.0
and don't have nerf hard japan = noob patch2.0
because all more noob player at this patch = noob logic.
or they maybe have boyfriend.(japanese boyfriend fuck your ass them)
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Crossbow
Posts: 45
Location: United Kingdom

25 Apr 2018, 18:32

The viewer figures were most likely over inflated with the same viewers logged into both of the ESOC twitch streams. i.e. number of viewers > number of unique viewers. Dual streams worked really well but lets approach the next tournament as having a primary and secondary stream instead of 2 streams.

7th tourney idea maybe utilizing purely either the KnB maps or RE maps, would quite happily watch some rockies/yucatan/New England/Sonora/carolina/bayou type matches as it brings a different dynamic to the game than currently portrayed in ESOC maps. I know the thought of not having 4 hunts spawn in/extremely close to your TC will give brit players a potential heart attack but these games are great to watch instead of the standard we've all been accustomed to.
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 5472

25 Apr 2018, 18:36

It's not like some EP maps aren't low hunt.

The biggest problem with RE maps is getting fair and consistent spawns. Not unheard of to rehost RE maps in tourney 5x.
theoretically derive and empirically amend -- the one-size-fits-all approach to approaching everything
User avatar
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
Posts: 13238
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

25 Apr 2018, 18:51

I didn't watch any, but when I do watch multistream tournaments they often work with 2 casters and then some other people that tune in to other tournament games and just quickly summarize those. So for example maybe zoi joins sircallen vs jerom while muted in the casters stream and then he chips in in between games to give a summary as to what has happened so far in jerom vs callen. Then watching the main stream you kinda catch the story of the tournament anyways. I think worth testing with just 1 additional observer.

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
User avatar
India princeofcarthage
ESOC Dev Team
Posts: 937
ESO: Sav0rybeef
Location: Milky Way!

25 Apr 2018, 19:37

edeholland wrote:What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.

That's not how math and programmers work.
Fantastic Friday Showdown
Fantastic Discord : https://discord.gg/69XVRE4
Twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/trgaoe3

Image

#SavetheBeef
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Crossbow
Posts: 41

25 Apr 2018, 20:01

Cometk wrote:i'll keep it short. there is so, so much to appreciate about everyone's contribution to the event yesterday. a lot of people commit many hours and some even their entire sunday to putting on a great show. no, this is not a dead game. and in fact, it has a great community.

some questions for players:
1) in general, what was the experience like? what could us tour admins do to improve the experience of being a player in the tournament?
2) thoughts on making it a 2 day event, starting saturday with ro4 and finals on sunday. if you were a player, would you still sign up knowing you might have to commit to playing over 2 days?

some questions for everyone:
1) thoughts on 2 stream?
3) any other ideas for improving or adding to the event.
4) also, the 7th event of the grand tour season 1 is sort of a toss-up, we don't have it set in stone yet. what sort of events would you like to see? (koth, cards, other formats?)



4) nilla games
User avatar
Denmark crjensen4
Skirmisher
Donator 07
Posts: 165
ESO: crjensen4

25 Apr 2018, 20:12

Would an Elgato game capture and streaming plus a solid net connection solve lag issues?
User avatar
Canada Mitoe
ESOC Media Team
EWTDonator 01
Posts: 2837
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger Id: 346407

26 Apr 2018, 00:44

7th tourney: Regicide, no walls allowed :O
User avatar
United States of America musketeer925
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
Posts: 1607
ESO: musketeer925
GameRanger Id: 451878

26 Apr 2018, 01:28

princeofcarthage wrote:
edeholland wrote:What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.

That's not how math and programmers work.

There is definitely some truth to what ede says. I think the overhead of project management and communication between developers may outweigh the bonus of having double the manpower when going from 1 to 2 programmers, unless they have vastly different skill sets that nicely match the different components of the application.
User avatar
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
Posts: 2551
ESO: edeholland
Location: Not ede
GameRanger Id: 4053888

08 May 2018, 14:40

musketeer925 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
edeholland wrote:What 1 programmer can do in 1 month, 2 programmers can do in 2 months.

That's not how math and programmers work.

There is definitely some truth to what ede says. I think the overhead of project management and communication between developers may outweigh the bonus of having double the manpower when going from 1 to 2 programmers, unless they have vastly different skill sets that nicely match the different components of the application.

Exactly. While it may sound like a joke, there is definitely some truth to it.

Watch out when your management says: if 1 woman can create a baby in 9 months, 9 women should be able to do it in 1 month!
Whiteboards are remarkable
Not living in Ede
--- h2o Rip ---
In the beginning ESOC was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Forum Info

Return to “General”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest