From major to brigadier: How to improve at higher levels?

Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Re: From major to brigadier: How to improve at higher levels?

Post by NekoBerk »

In my personal opinion, i think that you must learn how to play with all the civs and take advantage of the counter system and the maps.
example 1: If you're going to play in a map with scant food against brits i recommend you to use India or Rusia.
Because India > Brits, and India and russia have a great advantage in low food maps, and brits are kinda bad in those maps.
example 2: Try to don't use Germany in a map without TPs or it is going to be really painful for you lol.
example 3: Use Ottos or Iros and you'll have a lot of chances for win against a player who maybe is better than you.

By the way, try to play a lot with persons who are better than you, record the game and you can install OBS for record yourself playing, i think that it is more accurated for see your mistakes. Try to analyze the situation, ask to yourself why did you take that decision and what could be better in that situation. Ask your opponent what he thinks about the things that you did in the game.
analyze games of persons who are better than you, it helps a lot too.

Something that i mostly do is write all my analyzes in a notepad in my PC and i read them when i'm trying to get better. Well, i hope that this can help you, i'm only a 1st Lieutenant and well, maybe you know all this that i'm telling you :P.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

__Uhlan__ wrote:
IAmSoldieR wrote:Great question. I've often wondered the same. I honestly have been brig level for like 8 years and don't really know what I need to do to get to the next level.

Guys that have made that major to colonel jump are garja, diarouga, hazza. So maybe they know.

Hasn't garja been good for years?

In like 2007 I was pr42 and garja was like major. And when I came back like two years ago he went to like top 10 at least
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

For me it was mostly putting more time into the game (lot of time actually) and start to actually using the top civs. Basically just start "playing to win".
Ah ye also I remapped all keys and bought new hardware cuz I was playing on laptop mouse/keyboard. And also took advantage of better players advices/recs.
Image Image Image
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

IAmSoldieR wrote:Guys that have made that major to colonel jump are garja, diarouga, hazza. So maybe they know.

Indeed. 90% of pr35+ start off that way and are pr35 on their very first game. Only a few 10% can make it up through the ranks. :P
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

play people better than you consistently, play not the top civs but not useless civs either, dont play low skill civs like russia otto but more like brits japan french to some extent. Ask for advice when playing those games. Play both team and 1v1, exclusively 1v1 players tend to not know how to deal with raids as well as multitasking learned from teamgames and exclusively team players seem to be terrible at 1v1 and have no real build orders are knowledge.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly Hazza is the most recent and relevant example though it's important to note that like in all things, advice given from personal experience is subject to the receiver in its effectiveness.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I can't count the number of times I've tried to answer this question, or the number of times I've tried to pass on my game knowledge to another player. It never really seems to work out. I've come to realize that the #1 skill a player of pr37+ caliber can possess is the ability to teach themself what's good or bad.

For this reason the best advice I can give to anyone trying to improve is this:

Try to come up with reasons for every single action you make in game. Everything you should do should be deliberate, and you should have an answer to the WHY question for every action, even if you're not certain it's correct and even if it's only something as simple as sending a vill out to herd. Don't just randomly scout around your base in a circle with your explorer, don't just randomly always train vills or follow a build order blindly. Question everything you do and try to understand the rationale behind it. Sometimes you will find that the ideas you develop while doing this are wrong and you will be forced to correct them, but do not shy away from these changes: they make you a better player.

Don't let losses dissuade you. Question the answers you gave yourself for each action in the game that you lost, and correct the ones that you think need to be corrected.

This is the only effective way to train your decision making. With time, doing this should help you more readily develop effective gameplans in situations you normally wouldn't know what to do and respond more quickly to your opponent's actions.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Great question. I've often wondered the same. I honestly have been brig level for like 8 years and don't really know what I need to do to get to the next level.

You dont focus on the small things, for the longest time you were allowing your vils to reload their guns after killing hunt, rather than tasking them to move close to the hunt and then onto the hunt, to prevent the reload animation. Now I believe you do that. Also your apm is on the lower end and you dont seem to try to move faster or increase your speed. Also some hotkeys like homecity and other ones here and there that you still dont take advantage of using.

I think a lot of these come from when people play good civs, they can get away without doing these things, but it hurts them in the big picture. Like haza said playing a high skill requiring civ like brits makes you have to focus on all of the tiny details to beat good players when you are brit on RE and playing many imbalanced MU's and imbalanced maps.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Garja wrote: and start to actually using the top civs. Basically just start "playing to win".

It makes me sad you're not laming EP iro anymore :'(
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

Oh ya I was gona say soldier might be the only pr 35+ german player that still builds buildings with regular vils instead of settler wagons.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Serious brotherly love going on here!
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Garja is right though. Getting colonel with dutch is so much harder than doing that with a civ like iro or india. My dutch knowledge is so much more developed yet I can pick up top civs with little effort and play at the same level.

Not trying to balance whine here btw.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Mitoe wrote:I can't count the number of times I've tried to answer this question, or the number of times I've tried to pass on my game knowledge to another player. It never really seems to work out. I've come to realize that the #1 skill a player of pr37+ caliber can possess is the ability to teach themself what's good or bad.

Try to come up with reasons for every single action you make in game. Everything you should do should be deliberate, and you should have an answer to the WHY question for every action, even if you're not certain it's correct and even if it's only something as simple as sending a vill out to herd. Don't just randomly scout around your base in a circle with your explorer, don't just randomly always train vills or follow a build order blindly. Question everything you do and try to understand the rationale behind it. Sometimes you will find that the ideas you develop while doing this are wrong and you will be forced to correct them, but do not shy away from these changes: they make you a better player.

Don't let losses dissuade you. Question the answers you gave yourself for each action in the game that you lost, and correct the ones that you think need to be corrected.

This is the only effective way to train your decision making. With time, doing this should help you more readily develop effective gameplans in situations you normally wouldn't know what to do and respond more quickly to your opponent's actions.

this is why i record every game
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

giveuanxiety wrote:Oh ya I was gona say soldier might be the only pr 35+ german player that still builds buildings with regular vils instead of settler wagons.

That actually costs the same villager seconds as using SWs so it doesn't really matter.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Mitoe wrote:
giveuanxiety wrote:Oh ya I was gona say soldier might be the only pr 35+ german player that still builds buildings with regular vils instead of settler wagons.

That actually costs the same villager seconds as using SWs so it doesn't really matter.

you get the exp faster
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

I thought people came to a conclusion that it was more effective to use sw to build all buildings?

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Mitoe wrote:I can't count the number of times I've tried to answer this question, or the number of times I've tried to pass on my game knowledge to another player. It never really seems to work out. I've come to realize that the #1 skill a player of pr37+ caliber can possess is the ability to teach themself what's good or bad.

Teach me master.

For real, Good advice. I'm basically at the same level for 10 years and always thinking "now im gonna improve!"... Maybe this time. :)

(any 30+ up to helping me? ;) )
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

giveuanxiety wrote:I thought people came to a conclusion that it was more effective to use sw to build all buildings?

I remember I tested it recently and it requires the same villager seconds to construct a building with a SW as it does with a settler. Sometimes it costs more, if the SW has to walk a lot.

I also learned that there's a really weird bug there you use SWs and settlers to build a building then that building will also construct more slowly than if a SW constructed it alone. So don't ever do that. :P
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

NekoBerk wrote:Something that i mostly do is write all my analyzes in a notepad in my PC and i read them when i'm trying to get better. Well, i hope that this can help you, i'm only a 1st Lieutenant and well, maybe you know all this that i'm telling you :P.

Hey that's my style of learning!
:nwc:
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Mitoe wrote:
giveuanxiety wrote:I thought people came to a conclusion that it was more effective to use sw to build all buildings?

I remember I tested it recently and it requires the same villager seconds to construct a building with a SW as it does with a settler. Sometimes it costs more, if the SW has to walk a lot.

I also learned that there's a really weird bug there you use SWs and settlers to build a building then that building will also construct more slowly than if a SW constructed it alone. So don't ever do that. :P

your german guide lied?
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Mitoe wrote:

your german guide lied?

Yes.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

Mitoe wrote:

Wait, is this the recalculation you are referring to because a SW is better than a vill, or are you talking about the real seconds? 1 SW constructs a building faster than 1 vill, however it doesnt construct it twice as fast, while I believe the gather rate of an SW should be twice as fast as a normal vill. So if you were referring to that, then it does make more sense to let a vill construct a building while you keep the SW tasked to gathering. Unless for example you need to have a tower somewhere asap, then just use 4 SW :D
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

A SW builds faster than 2 vills. Not sure if it is due to walking path or building rate but it is quite evident in actual games that it does. Also the ability of using 4SW for outposts is an occasional advantage.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

A SW builds exactly twice as fast as 1 vil, which is normal. But, 2 vils don't build twice as fast as 1. And it's the same for all kind of units (2 explorers don't build twice as fast as 1...).
To build twice as fast as 1 unit, you need 4 units. Which is why the SW is so good, because it actually builds twice as fast as 1 vil = as fast as 4 vils.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Mitoe wrote:

kinda, only if we are talking about one vill vs one sw

Kaiserklein wrote:A SW builds exactly twice as fast as 1 vil, which is normal. But, 2 vils don't build twice as fast as 1. And it's the same for all kind of units (2 explorers don't build twice as fast as 1...).
To build twice as fast as 1 unit, you need 4 units. Which is why the SW is so good, because it actually builds twice as fast as 1 vil = as fast as 4 vils.

yes

just did the test to confirm.

Time to build a rax:

2sw 12s
1sw 15s
4v 15s
3v 19s
2v 24s
1v 30s

Using one Sw or one vill, the efficiency is the same (30vs), but sw is faster, having more units building to make up for the time decreases efficiency, plus, more vills building together will bump into each other a lot.

tldr; always build with one sw, unless you don't really care if the building takes twice as long, then you could use 1vill to save a couple seconds of walking a sw. Using more then 1 vill is never a good idea.