Ranking up on ESO

United States of America mwhit6
Crossbow
ESO: mwhit6

Ranking up on ESO

Post by mwhit6 »

Now just how in the samhain am I supposed to rank up when one of the following happens every single game:
1. Kicked for too low rank (0 in treat and 1 in supremacy)
2. Team has no idea what they're doing by the time fighting starts and I'm the only one with an army
3. Rushed and obliterated before I even have troops

I joined in 2008 and stopped playing sometime in 2011 around when AOE Online came out. Just tried picking this game back up around last week. I usually try to play as Portugal, and recently I've been trying to make Germany work, but it's generally loss after loss after kicked from lobby x5 and another defeat. Should I just uninstall and slit my wrists?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Re: Ranking up on ESO

Post by SoldieR »

That's a bit drastic.

I'd say join games that are hosted by people ranked slightly higher and do that for enough games that you find your real rank. People tend to kick people with few games, suspecting smurfs. I'm assuming you don't have many games on your account.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

1&3 play people with similar rank
2 to rank up and learn better. play only 1v1 for a while. team games at low lvl are very random.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Hi, great to see an 'old player' from 2011 to come back! :flowers: As others pointed out, try to play only with people of your rank and try not to play 3v3, it is too random and thus a bad way of ranking up. Besides, 3v3 won't help you much to develop skills.
I recommend you to read these guides for new players, practise and be patient, and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!
This 1st guide is a bit 'old', by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1161
This 2nd guide is recent, by site: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9698
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

Frequently difficult to get a team that actually outperforms me enough to make a difference, and I'm kind of straggling. I've got hundreds of games logged on vanilla but around 100 on TAD now, with like a 40% winrate, but my 18 million exp has gotten me the accusation of cheating a few times. It's carried over from vanilla but my games played hasn't carried over. Biggest problems I run into are Janissaries, Japan (OP as shit), and French make me tilt sometimes. It just feels very hard playing aggressively successfully as Portuguese. I've been watching hours of gameplay on youtube but I don't seem to be learning anything from it. Like I said I'm not sure if my performance so far suggests that I should uninstall and f**k off or not
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

P i k i l i c wrote:Hi, great to see an 'old player' from 2011 to come back! :flowers: As others pointed out, try to play only with people of your rank and try not to play 3v3, it is too random and thus a bad way of ranking up. Besides, 3v3 won't help you much to develop skills.
I recommend you to read these guides for new players, practise and be patient, and I'm sure you will have a lot of fun!
This 1st guide is a bit 'old', by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1161
This 2nd guide is recent, by site: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9698

What's the deal with 3v3? Also all my 2v2s have been ending disastrously. I push the enemy base after spending the entire game telling my teammate "we need to do a joint rush as fast as we can" then he either doesn't help or we get roflstomped by the enemy's teammate.
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

Your best course of action is to simply not care about rank and just play to get better. If you just care about rank then you'll just be pissed off all the time.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Step one to getting better is accepting that you're not good. If you're not succeeding at reflecting on your own play then you can't get better.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

In 3v3 obviously there are more differences between ranks and you usually only need to train 1 type of unit, so there is less place for skill and the final result depends on 5 other players, so obviously your winrate will be closer to 50% and it will be hard for you both to rank up/improve.
In team games but particularly in 2v2 you need coordination, if your ally does not want to rush like you, just don't rush it would be suicide. Also, play more games and I'm sure you'll find good 2v2 players lol.

Anyway, yes there is imbalance, yes Janissaries are OP and Japan is OP in team and Portuguese is weak in early game, so I understand you struggle. I played many team games as Portuguese when I discovered AoE online, but I almost didn't improve at all, until I found out eso-community and french forums (because I'm french but w/e); I started to play France and to play more 1v1's and 2v2's, almost never 3v3's, that made me understand things about the game and improve.
Learn a good build order, practise it a lot, and you'll make fewer and fewer mistakes

Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

P i k i l i c wrote:In 3v3 obviously there are more differences between ranks and you usually only need to train 1 type of unit, so there is less place for skill and the final result depends on 5 other players, so obviously your winrate will be closer to 50% and it will be hard for you both to rank up/improve.
In team games but particularly in 2v2 you need coordination, if your ally does not want to rush like you, just don't rush it would be suicide. Also, play more games and I'm sure you'll find good 2v2 players lol.

Anyway, yes there is imbalance, yes Janissaries are OP and Japan is OP in team and Portuguese is weak in early game, so I understand you struggle. I played many team games as Portuguese when I discovered AoE online, but I almost didn't improve at all, until I found out eso-community and french forums (because I'm french but w/e); I started to play France and to play more 1v1's and 2v2's, almost never 3v3's, that made me understand things about the game and improve.
Learn a good build order, practise it a lot, and you'll make fewer and fewer mistakes

Portugal has nothing to do with AOE Online, nevertheless, yes they do have a sketchy early game, but it feels less difficult to me than German early game since Germans don't have any ranged units. (they have crossbows but crossbows are basically throwing away resources because they're the single shittiest unit per resource in the entire game).

I just finished a 2v2 game where my teammate was turtling (with a much higher score than me) and spamming Hussars which were just being eaten alive by the Ottoman enemy's grenadiers, and my mass of musketeers got wiped as soon as the Dutch enemy popped out a shit ton of skirms. I was trying to follow the gameplay of a video I watched where the guy takes significant map control with Portuguese with double-barracks double-tower FB, but later in the video they get smashed by the enemy's Ottomans and both enemies, despite being on the winning side, resign and he won. I don't know what the hell is going on, and when I look back on my own gameplay the only thing I think when I ask myself "what should I have done better" is: "resign earlier"
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

Hmm sorry I meant AoE3 on ESO, not the so-called "aoe online" game.

Idk what video you are talking about, anyway always remember you'll have to adapt and you can't always do what you planned. Consider reading the guides I suggested and you'll find you do a lot of mistakes. If you still don't see them which I highly doubt about, you can still share some of your recs games on this website and ask for advice. Btw, there is a point I fail to believe you: unless a grenadier mass is 10* bigger than a hussar mass, they will be painfully slaughtered by the hussars :hmm:

Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Play on QuickSearch till you get like PR 15 or so, you'll get it so easy soon
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

dont take this personally but.. as jerom said, you have to accept that you are bad in order to improve.
rts games are hard, and the learning curve is huge. dont make those decisive statments like "those huss got destroyed by damm op grenadeirs" or "xbow useless", those things just arent true, they are a first impression by someone new to the game. let go those pre-concepts, they are just holding you back, and just try to really learn the game and have fun.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

also, this "i'm only lvl 0 because I cant find games!" is just not true. Finding games is indeed harder then in a popular moba with millions online, but not that hard.

just go to eso, host a game with the name "1v1" on standard maps and wait. someone will join.

at level zero I dont think QS works well, but if you focus on improving, you can quicly get to pr15, then qs becomes much easier to find games.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

This might be really weird, but when i created my ESO account, i was earning PR even if i was losing all the time
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

mwhit6 wrote: .... but later in the video they get smashed by the enemy's Ottomans and both enemies, despite being on the winning side, resign and he won.

link for this? it appears to me that you just dont understand whats happening.
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

lemmings121 wrote:dont take this personally but.. as jerom said, you have to accept that you are bad in order to improve.
rts games are hard, and the learning curve is huge. dont make those decisive statments like "those huss got destroyed by damm op grenadeirs" or "xbow useless", those things just arent true, they are a first impression by someone new to the game. let go those pre-concepts, they are just holding you back, and just try to really learn the game and have fun.

I'm garbage. That's why I'm here. And I didn't say grenadiers are OP. And I'm not new to the game. I've been an AOE3 player for almost 9 years
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

mwhit6 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:dont take this personally but.. as jerom said, you have to accept that you are bad in order to improve.

I'm garbage. That's why I'm here. And I didn't say grenadiers are OP. And I'm not new to the game. I've been an AOE3 player for almost 9 years

Just play 1x1 to play and don't really focus on winning just try to play best you can.
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

http://imgur.com/a/ktfK6 this just happened, not sure what to do when red quits early and my teammates neither speak a lick of english nor keep the enemy from sending 1,000 Oprichniks repeatedly into their economy, which I had to repeatedly chase down with Jinetes and kill, which prevented me from contributing towards the main fight, which took place at the river ford on Orinoco
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

mwhit6 wrote:Now just how in the samhain am I supposed to rank up...

agree with #2, play 1v1s, it got 2 of my accounts from 1lt to major (even tho im not skillwise) in a cpl of weeks, 1v1s require more skill, you have to learn specific build orders and micro higher unit varieties.

still tho, i honestly reckon to not care about ranks at all in a game where many many (MANY!!!) players with higher levels either lame otto/iro, OOS when loose, point trade or just plain cheat because nothing rlly happens anyway if they do. just enjoy the game as much as you can, you can have fun playing it on all levels..
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

Play 1v1 and most of your problems are solved
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

Hey, @mwhit6! I was in your boat not too long ago (3-4 months) I would get kicked out of games and the games I did get into were low PR team games that sucked. I know the feel.

If you want we can play some 1v1's over voice chat on Discord. I'll give you some pointers for your favorite civ and general advice on what you can work on. I'm sure you can get your rank up pretty quickly if we can get you into some 1v1's and decent 2v2's.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

mwhit6 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/ktfK6 this just happened, not sure what to do when red quits early and my teammates neither speak a lick of english nor keep the enemy from sending 1,000 Oprichniks repeatedly into their economy, which I had to repeatedly chase down with Jinetes and kill, which prevented me from contributing towards the main fight, which took place at the river ford on Orinoco

What I did is play mainly FFA, and make friends, then play rated games with them. You won't get kicked in an FFA.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Crossbow

Post by mwhit6 »

site wrote:Hey, @mwhit6! I was in your boat not too long ago (3-4 months) I would get kicked out of games and the games I did get into were low PR team games that sucked. I know the feel.

If you want we can play some 1v1's over voice chat on Discord. I'll give you some pointers for your favorite civ and general advice on what you can work on. I'm sure you can get your rank up pretty quickly if we can get you into some 1v1's and decent 2v2's.

That would be pretty swell
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

@mwhit6 Hey, the best way way to rank up is to play players your rank or slightly higher and focus on winning decisively, making sure you iron out any common mistakes you make. If you like add me on ESO and when i'm online I can play some games with you and give you some advice like Site offered
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6