Strange parts and knowledge of AOE3

No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Strange parts and knowledge of AOE3

Post by OrangeRage »

This topic is to discuss parts of AOE3 that seem to not make any sense but are there and part of the game. Some things are just stuff that maybe others know but seem strange.

You can only make 1 church? Why? Spies are never used other than to rarely counter mercs

Why are plantations 800 wood with European civs and not with Asian civs?

Why were sioux cav never nerfed at all in the years of AOE3 patches?

How can Japan win when they have no map which means very limited coin mines. They are so predictable yet still so strong?

Why do units such as grenadiers and longbow have such bad animations that seem to nerf them. I think this is much more pertaining to grenadiers which take a unit with potential and totally make it much worse and usually not viable.

Finally! What civ do you believe to be the best on RE if all hunts and mines are considered to be the same on each side. For this just picture a PR 40 vs PR 40
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Strange parts and knowledge of AOE3

Post by Garja »

OrangeRage wrote:This topic is to discuss parts of AOE3 that seem to not make any sense but are there and part of the game. Some things are just stuff that maybe others know but seem strange.

You can only make 1 church? Why? Spies are never used other than to rarely counter mercs
Spies used to be very strong at one point, they got nerfed. They're meant to scout and kill mercs. You don't need to make more than one church.

Why are plantations 800 wood with European civs and not with Asian civs?
You need them earlier with Asian civs I think. Also they don't have 2 factories. And dunno about upgrades but I think they need more to achieve the same effect. It's an advantage anyway in most cases.

Why were sioux cav never nerfed at all in the years of AOE3 patches?
Why should they be. BR actually used to cost more, that's why now they're so good.
How can Japan win when they have no map which means very limited coin mines. They are so predictable yet still so strong?
Dunno about this. Kinda empty statement.

Why do units such as grenadiers and longbow have such bad animations that seem to nerf them. I think this is much more pertaining to grenadiers which take a unit with potential and totally make it much worse and usually not viable.
To differentiate those units. Lbows and other archers with setup animation do have double ROF (1.5 vs 3.0)

Finally! What civ do you believe to be the best on RE if all hunts and mines are considered to be the same on each side. For this just picture a PR 40 vs PR 40
Iro
Image Image Image
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

ya spies used to be strong some years before I started playing the game. I gathered that from looking at iamgrunts dutch deck but just can't imagine it and wasn't it true you used to be able to make them in age 1?
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

From what I heard Ottomans used to do a spy rush in age I on TWC
Btw, spies are also meant to counter Natives lol, with a less good bonus than against mercs
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@P i k i l i c , I just checked as I hadn't known that, spies have a x4 multiplier vs natives :!:

Church build limit is most likely a design thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asian civs were worked on a lot better and they have such cool features, it's just the way it was made, I find it rather unfair.

Why would you nerf civ's biggest strength if you were an official dev? :hmm: On a serious note, perhaps it didn't look as strong and cavalry has always been Sioux best option.

About Japan — perhaps because of cheap rice paddies? :hmm:

With animations — again, I'd rather say it was a design choice to set an epic animation for them, as I can't really imagine devs taking balance issues into consideration when it comes to programming such features. With longbowmen it's kinda justified, though you can clearly see it's one of the major drawbacks of grens.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Why is Sioux the only civ that cannot make walls? srsly that puzzles me
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Nomadic civ, fits into their design. That question is a bit like asking why Japan can't hunt -> Buddhism, fits into their design.
oranges.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

OrangeRage wrote:How can Japan win when they have no map which means very limited coin mines. They are so predictable yet still so strong?

Imo it's because they snowball small advantages really hard. Their high eco combined with powerfull upgrades lets them shit on other civs when they boom receiving little or no damage.

No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

macacoalbino wrote:
OrangeRage wrote:How can Japan win when they have no map which means very limited coin mines. They are so predictable yet still so strong?

Imo it's because they snowball small advantages really hard. Their high eco combined with powerfull upgrades lets them shit on other civs when they boom receiving little or no damage.

yeah exactly, if you are getting a much better kill ratio it makes your eco worth way more. Iv'e had people complain in some games of how was I winning when this brit guy was out booming me, but we were still fighting a long time and in the end I had like better than a 2:1 kill ratio (he made way too many muskets thinking he could just spam me to death.)

For grenadiers/bows I don't think its such a bad thing that they have large set up animations, I think its bad that gun powder units have none. It takes aim to fire a gun too, and can skip the reload phase.

even though Sioux cav is extremely good, it is all countered by goons. unless they get kited back to base and the axe riders engage in melee. its kind of a perk for having no walls and no ranged artillery.

also to note about cheaper plantations for asian civs, they tend to be (except japan) much more dependent on wood for their armies, where euro civs need a lot less.

some things that don't make sense to me...
1. how does LOS and bullets and melee attacks go through walls.
2. why asian civs do not get embassy
3. why the game does not end units and buildings are destroyed.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

1. too hard to code I'd imagine, would be a very drastic change in AoE
2. wasn't it a bug?
3. ?
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Aizamk wrote:...like asking why Japan can't hunt -> Buddhism, fits into their design.

..whilst nowadays some japanese food is famous on the internet for being somewhat slightly still alive and eventually moving around on the plate. kinda ironic.
(besides that i LOVE the japanese kitchen)

pecelot wrote:1. too hard to code I'd imagine, would be a very drastic change in AoE

true that, would make walls totally OP + the whole system of "realistic" LOS already failed in company of heroes 2, it kinda gives less micro options.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Improve physics increases system requirements also i guess.