Why can tourney games only be casted/streamed by ESOC?

United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Re: Why can tourney games only be casted/streamed by ESOC?

Post by _H2O »

AraGun wrote:SO whats gonna happen with GUA vs Samurai?? GuA streamed his own games on his channel but didnt advertise ESOC brand.. Is this ok? Or will the game be void and both players get disqualified?

Read this thread or read the rules.

Streaming first person in games that are not casted is okay.

Where is this stream? I am more interested in who won than the bait. :biggrin:
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Gendarme wrote:@Kaiserklein That is like having a coach beside you, which you do not oppose. No reason to have rules that cannot be enforced - it benefits cheaters only.

Its an online event. We cant have an admin standing behind the players. We can only have rules that are enforceable.

You are right on here
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

@ProjectW You need to chill out, and show a little bit more respect to the people who are organizing this tournament for you free of charge. You agreed to the rules when you signed up; it's petty and frankly a bit ridiculous for you to be complaining now.

Reign it in, and express your dissent in a more respectful way, or take it somewhere else.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

Kaiserklein wrote:Though tbh if you stream first person with no delay it's really easy to get people in the chat to advise you

no way u find that out if somebody does that
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

I think it's good that this discussion came up. I think we, the Media Team and ESOC staff, have to see this as an extra opportunity to explain the rules a little bit better as I listed them down here: viewtopic.php?f=237&t=10342

In this thread the following rules lead to a discussion:
- Only authorized ESOC Casters are allowed to cast an ESOC tournament match.
- Casted tournament games should be streamed on ESOCTV Twitch only. Please ask us if you want to stream it on your personal channel. This only applies for first person point of view.

I want to use this discussion to summarise all arguments being made in favor of the rules listed above.

+ ESOC Tournaments are a gift to YOU, the viewer. To guarantee the best quality for everyone, we want ESOC casters to cast official tournament matches.
 + People donate thousands of dollars to ESOC to see quality content. This makes it even more important to do our job right and to give these people (and even people that do not donate) the quality they asked for.
 + An ESOC caster stands for quality. You can trust this person. ESOC casters are lead and controlled by the Media Team.
 + We don't have things in hand if we let everyone randomly cast games everywhere. Is there a 2 minute delay? Is the caster secretly in a Skype conversation with a player? How can we check if every tournament match is played out following the rules? We can't be 100% sure. It is important to be sure with the largest price pool in history. We can be sure if ESOC casters are handling the cast on ESOCTV.
 + Removing these rules would encourage people to stream tournament games on their own channels. This will lead to confusion, less quality content on ESOCTV Twitch and YouTube. Keep in mind that any series that isn't casted on ESOCTV won't be on YouTube as well. This means less tournanent-promotion (and thus less AoE3-promotion) on YouTube and less income which we use to fund future ESOC events.

So... sticking to ESOCTV with ESOC certified casters is our goal. However, streaming first person games that are not casted/observed is allowed as it is impossible to cheat!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
No Flag subhanshu
Dragoon

Post by subhanshu »

@_H2O Does have a point here! if by any chance, your stream quality isnt optimal for tournament- that might lead to a negative impression on new comers to aoe3 etc, so i think all they are asking from you in a previous video in which you casted and then you could be a member of casters!
i dont think if they are asking for much? @ProjectW
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Gendarme wrote:Or what if you start flirting with your girlfriend in the middl... nvm that is allowed.

Ups :love:
shit juice :hmm:
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

subhanshu wrote:@_H2O Does have a point here! if by any chance, your stream quality isnt optimal for tournament- that might lead to a negative impression on new comers to aoe3 etc, so i think all they are asking from you in a previous video in which you casted and then you could be a member of casters!
i dont think if they are asking for much? @ProjectW

MCJim summarises it best, but its hard to come across when both sides are pretty arrogant. The bottom line is:

1) You signed up for the tourney knowing the rules (I'm pretty sure you agree when you sign up) so you can't really go against them without resigning from the tournament.

2) It's annoying when all the media are in different places. (So streaming to ESOCTV is pretty much a must, or people who miss out will wait a while for the videos) It's just a lot easier when it's all in one place.

3) The tournament represents ESOC, so any impression you give will imply that is the opinion of ESOC.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

_H2O wrote:
Gendarme wrote:@Kaiserklein That is like having a coach beside you, which you do not oppose. No reason to have rules that cannot be enforced - it benefits cheaters only.

Its an online event. We cant have an admin standing behind the players. We can only have rules that are enforceable.

You are right on here

I think it doesn't matter... You can also have someone on Skype who gives you advice or you share your screen or w/e... You can't to have a rule for everything! It's the same like there is no rule for lag... [spoiler=spoiler]I would have won! Even without a coach![/spoiler]
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

queenofdestiny wrote:
_H2O wrote:

You are right on here

I think it doesn't matter... You can also have someone on Skype who gives you advice or you share your screen or w/e... You can't to have a rule for everything! It's the same like there is no rule for lag... [spoiler=spoiler]I would have won! Even without a coach![/spoiler]

A coach on skype is way different than a coach with spies.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

While I am explaining our position on a lot of these rules we are all listening to this feedback and thinking about what we can do better.

Just a general comment.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Where is it different?
You can share your screen, TeamViewer... Etc etc etc
Do you think it's cheating when someone is coaching you?
Like in a football game when the coach screaming some stuff... Isn't it the same?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

well being coached is sort of cheating but you cant know that over internet games
Image Image Image
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Garja wrote:well being coached is sort of cheating but you cant know that over internet games

So basically you say I'm cheating?
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

@queenofdestiny Cheating or not, it's not in the spirit of fair play. People expect to play against you and your skill set, not that of some coach of an unknown skill level.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

If you are playing and someone is making decisions for you, yes you are cheating.

I honestly don't even know if I'm allowed to cast on my own channel atm, even though I am authorized.
What if someone is using esoctv, what if there is one series at random time of night but I'm there?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I actually watched this game from the start!
Gua told Samurai that the game was being streamed in advance, and asked him to give it a few minutes "lag". I was very happy that he wanted to share it with us spectators. I dont think GUA had any benefit of it (he lost both games). AND we could only watch GUA perspective. Dont know how anyone could make this borderline cheating. If anyone had a benefit, it would B Samurai.
So, If you admins should find this to be somewhat beside the rules, I would want you to rule in Gua favor.
I really appreciated that he shared the experience with us :love:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

My games go a lot better when mitoe is calling the shots.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

kami_ryu wrote:My games go a lot better when mitoe is calling the shots.

-----------------That is another issue though-----------
I know what your are referring 2, and I really enjoyed the games with Mitoe as a coach. Could B a way to go ahead with some streams; play and getting a better player to coach you - and us spectators getting the benefit of the same teaching. Was really fun Kami. There where no coaches in this game though
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

iwillspankyou wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:My games go a lot better when mitoe is calling the shots.

-----------------That is another issue though-----------
I know what your are referring 2, and I really enjoyed the games with Mitoe as a coach. Could B a way to go ahead with some streams; play and getting a better player to coach you - and us spectators getting the benefit of the same teaching. Was really fun Kami. There where no coaches in this game though

I coach Kami dw
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag ProjectW
Musketeer
ESO: ProjectW

Post by ProjectW »

Kaiserklein wrote:
ProjectW wrote:Both players want it casted? Check.
Casters and streamers available? Check.
There's audience? Check.

I don't see a problem here..And why can't i say it's a tourney game and tell other people to come watch n enjoy and all have fun? Again why the fuck does ESOC rule makers have a dildo stuck up their behind they are acting like it's multi billion dollar corporation.

Man it's 1.5k prize pool, can't let people do whatever they want, obviously letting anyone cast a tourney game is not safe... The point of being an authorized caster is that they trust you. What if you maphack for one of the players or w/e ?

I just said "if both players agree and allow the caster" so your point about cheating/maphacking is moot.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well if someone's casting they aren't gonna be on Skype talking with someone lol. And there's nothing about being an "authorized caster" that makes you less likely to help someone cheat anyway. It literally just has to do with whether or not you're decent at casting.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

@gibson ESOC casters have a responsibility to check for map balance and make decisions for restarts or similar situations. These are people we have entrusted to enforce these rules unbiased. If you randomly have your friend cast your game, it's not just about whether he can give you information that the other player isn't privy to. You could agree beforehand that he will try to force restarts until you get your optimal start, or something similar.

Imagine a situation where someone got their friend to "cast" their game. But then that friend conveniently "forgets" to hit the start button in OBS, and simply gives his friend all the information he needs over Skype. When someone asks why the game wasn't streamed: "Oh, I thought I was connected but I guess I wasn't."

In addition to the reasons others have stated in this thread, restricting the people who can cast allows us to ensure a fair event for everyone. If an authorized caster did something like this and it became obvious they were providing assistance to one of the players, we could prevent them from casting games in the future.

These events are run off of donations, and we have a responsibility to maintain the integrity and quality of the event. Having auditions for casters and keeping all content in one place helps us avoid potential issues and makes everything easier for staff, players, and viewers.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Mitoe wrote:@gibson ESOC casters have a responsibility to check for map balance and make decisions for restarts or similar situations. These are people we have entrusted to enforce these rules unbiased. If you randomly have your friend cast your game, it's not just about whether he can give you information that the other player isn't privy to. You could agree beforehand that he will try to force restarts until you get your optimal start, or something similar.

Imagine a situation where someone got their friend to "cast" their game. But then that friend conveniently "forgets" to hit the start button in OBS, and simply gives his friend all the information he needs over Skype. When someone asks why the game wasn't streamed: "Oh, I thought I was connected but I guess I wasn't."

In addition to the reasons others have stated in this thread, restricting the people who can cast allows us to ensure a fair event for everyone. If an authorized caster did something like this and it became obvious they were providing assistance to one of the players, we could prevent them from casting games in the future.

These events are run off of donations, and we have a responsibility to maintain the integrity and quality of the event. Having auditions for casters and keeping all content in one place helps us avoid potential issues and makes everything easier for staff, players, and viewers.

I doubt it's very likely, but is very easy to pull off and undetectable.