Re: WCG-style tournament

Post by guesswhosback »

next tournament should be 2v2!!
United States of America godzillaking
Skirmisher
Donator 03

Post by godzillaking »

Like where you gotta play regionals to qualify?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

godzillaking wrote:Like where you gotta play regionals to qualify?

that place far far away, some people call it "internet"
:flowers:
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I hope the $1500 special event is KOTH or Regicide (Honshu map only.)
Colombia Jjtuxtron
Crossbow

Post by Jjtuxtron »

Regicide is a thing in Aoe3?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Hell yeah it is!!!
[spoiler=spoiler]:kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen:
:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:[/spoiler]
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:omg this tournament is a great idea. im very proud to represent the people of Kyrgyzstan. Sign me up pls. #KyrgsForReal #Kyrg4Life #KyrgsForAoE3 #moregenericKyrgsHashtags #isKyrgsEvenHowThePeopleOfKyryzstanAreCalled? #dunno..

They are called Kyrgyzs. A couple from Kyrgyzstan lives next door to me.
United States of America godzillaking
Skirmisher
Donator 03

Post by godzillaking »

lemmings121 wrote:

Not really what I meant, but back for WCG you had to travel to wherever they were hosting the regional.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I wasn't around back in those days, so I'm unfamiliar with the format. Can someone please explain in more detail?
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I'm not a fan of any artificial divisions by country etc. Then you end up with a 2000 ELO player from "Chinese Taipei" getting a free trip to germany and Parfait or myself sitting at home watching.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

_H2O wrote:I'm not a fan of any artificial divisions by country etc. Then you end up with a 2000 ELO player from "Chinese Taipei" getting a free trip to germany and Parfait or myself sitting at home watching.
Agreed. In a tournament which purpose is to decide which player is the most skillful, it doesn't make sense to have any other qualification becomes skill lol
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

In past Call of Duty World Championships, the largest tourney of the year btw (1 mil first place prize), was stuctured like this, such that a lot of the viewers at home were watching some teams that were just blatantly worse than most of them. It was weird and is rather off-putting.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

godzillaking wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:

Not really what I meant, but back for WCG you had to travel to wherever they were hosting the regional.

yea ocf, but in the time there was an actual infrastructure around the game. I'm sure what is being suggested here is just mimic that format, but do everything online.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

ok, is it worth the shot? I would signup.

Would be fun making all qualifiers "group stage like" no matter the number of players. (since timezone isn't a issue, it should be much more doable having big groups with a lot of games. just give like 3 point for winner and 1 for the loser of each game to incentivise people to actually play)

I'm sure some groups would have great games happening while others wont, but I guess thats also a way of including non top players in a tournament. (winning or even getting a good placement in your country group is already nice.)
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

lemmings121 wrote:ok, is it worth the shot? I would signup.

Would be fun making all qualifiers "group stage like" no matter the number of players. (since timezone isn't a issue, it should be much more doable having big groups with a lot of games. just give like 3 point for winner and 1 for the loser of each game to incentivise people to actually play)

I'm sure some groups would have great games happening while others wont, but I guess thats also a way of including non top players in a tournament. (winning or even getting a good placement in your country group is already nice.)

+1 id sign up
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I don't think it would really work either, tbh.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:
_H2O wrote:I'm not a fan of any artificial divisions by country etc. Then you end up with a 2000 ELO player from "Chinese Taipei" getting a free trip to germany and Parfait or myself sitting at home watching.
Agreed. In a tournament which purpose is to decide which player is the most skillful, it doesn't make sense to have any other qualification becomes skill lol

But its not just about the skill in this case, its also about the spirit of participation and competition. View it as the olympics which succesfully manages to combine both aspects and still attract huge amounts of viewers and which is the highest achievement for many athletes despite almost never being the most lucrative.

Its indeed a bit like strong world, which many people liked btw, but without the league character of it, but instead a elimination system.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

This sounds like fun, even the qualifiers would make for some really good games... Though I'm just wondering how much time this event would take to complete, it seems like a bit too much...

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

@VITAOOOOOOOOO1 @lemmings121
I think this is the opportunity @HOLME has been waiting his whole life for... Just give him a shot!

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

macacoalbino wrote:This sounds like fun, even the qualifiers would make for some really good games... Though I'm just wondering how much time this event would take to complete, it seems like a bit too much...

idk, just leave 2-3 weeks for group stage, then get probably 32~64 players on elimination bracket.. its shorter then main esoc event
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

umeu wrote:
gibson wrote:

But its not just about the skill in this case, its also about the spirit of participation and competition. View it as the olympics which succesfully manages to combine both aspects and still attract huge amounts of viewers and which is the highest achievement for many athletes despite almost never being the most lucrative.

Its indeed a bit like strong world, which many people liked btw, but without the league character of it, but instead a elimination system.
Its not anything like the Olympics. The player pool of potential players for the Olympics is literally like a billion people. The player pool for this tourney would be like 200. Surely based on this statistical difference you can see why this is not a relevant comparison?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

lemmings121 wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:Btw who's best Indian player? Jeffrey? Parfait?

vishnu_india

oh wait

That guy is Chinese he is not Indian he just has his name as India because it's his friends account already spoke to him...
:nwc:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Maybe we can try WCG style tourney for like 100$ first then go for like higher prize pool if it was a success , in WCG there are many players but here it's small I guess doing this style of tourney would limit the players and all the players will not get an equal opportunity ,and also majority of players will I be from Europe,Usa, London,China n like that we won't I have that many players,so I think current esoc style is good.
:nwc:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

macacoalbino wrote:This sounds like fun, even the qualifiers would make for some really good games... Though I'm just wondering how much time this event would take to complete, it seems like a bit too much...

Shouldnt take more than a week or 2 at most actually. Since qualifiers are from same country scheduling is easy. Sio you can have 1 week for the qualifiers (dont sign up if u cant play that week) and then 1 week for the main event
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:
umeu wrote:
gibson wrote: Agreed. In a tournament which purpose is to decide which player is the most skillful, it doesn't make sense to have any other qualification becomes skill lol

Its not anything like the Olympics. The player pool of potential players for the Olympics is literally like a billion people. The player pool for this tourney would be like 200. Surely based on this statistical difference you can see why this is not a relevant comparison?

Nah, the comparison remains relevant because not just the best of the best go to the olympics. The best of one country may very well be worse than the number 1000 of another country, and yet he gets to compete because besides skill, there is more at stake than just that. An example is the jamaican bobsled team, and the runner from guinea bissau who went out first round with worst time last olympics, yet he got to compete which was most important. Obviously the olympics are bigger and more prestigious, but that was not the point. Its a real example of why your previous post, though understandable, is not always relevant.

In any case, im not going to try to convince you, but imo thats sufficient refutation of your argument. You can take it or leave it.