64%
No
36%

Total votes: 74

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: WCG-style tournament

Post by deleted_user »

Nah man you can't just compare the muh'fin olympics with this dead-ass community.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I can compare the ideals of competition that the olympics embraces with the sort of competition i had in mind when i started this thread tho. The fact that more people compete in the olympics has relevance, but not enough to kill the comparison.

Besides when the olympics began it was quite small as well and only amateurs could compete. It wasnt that popular either.

The poll is going steady 2/3rd in favor for a while now. So i might look into organizing it.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

The thing is it wouldn't be that there are people that won't get to compete. Just that they might have to play other high level players before the tournament begins. More like a random seeding tournament.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

a tournament similar to World Cup would be better. Different regions have variant number of players.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sure, make a suggestion on what the criteria for extra players would be
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Did you know I come from Lichtenstein ? How will you check the nationality ? ;-)
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

bwinner1 wrote:Did you know I come from Lichtenstein ? How will you check the nationality ? ;-)

ip?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

bwinner1 wrote:Did you know I come from Lichtenstein ? How will you check the nationality ? ;-)

sure you can always lie. ip is a way to check, but people can get vpn. then again you can also smurf tournaments, im kinda trusting people to be honest. sure you can lie to get an easier qualifier, but then if you arent going to be one of the best, its going to be irrelevant, and if you are one of the best, people will soon find out that you are a smurf and you will get DQ.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I actually moved to peru btw
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

problem is theres no good players to represent france, i guess maybe tit
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Jerom wrote:I actually moved to peru btw

thats irrelevant.
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

Hazza54321 wrote:problem is theres no good players to represent france, i guess maybe tit

Diarouga?
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

supernapoleon wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:problem is theres no good players to represent france, i guess maybe tit

Diarouga?

Who is this mysterious character?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

This type of event is complicated to host online for no gain. Right now no one is excluded.

People can easily hide or lie about their nationality. Different nations have very different skills.

To those saying "eh just try it". It is not really that easy. There is a lot of work that goes into coordinating an event. I don't think it's worth the resources that could be used on something like 2nd chance or the spring championship.

If we see value or someone steps up and wants to own the event end to end then it might happen. I point to strong world as an example of how hard it is to run an event and how it gets harder the more complicated you make it. It took months longer than expected and had very low engagement.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

to your first point, this event excludes no one either, besides perhaps maintaining similar lower limit for signing up as esoc events have. all it does is mainly have a different set up for seeding (group stages).

it's true that people can hide or lie about their nationality, similarly they can hide or lie about their main account. same measures would be used as used vs smurfing in normal tournaments. i already explained why im not very concerned about people lying about where they are from.

different nations have different skills indeed, so a proper system should be designed to deal with this.

strong world failed because it was designed as a league system and it had low participation because it was designed to remain rather casual. this event wouldnt be designed that way, and i would much rather see it play out as a one weekend tournament (japanese community style) than a multi month tournament (esoc style)

if you dont want to try it, thats fine.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

umeu wrote:
Jerom wrote:I actually moved to peru btw

thats irrelevant.

My mother is peruvian Im representing peru. Prove me wrong.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i dont see why i would have to. also, if you have no serious arguments, please go shitpost in the scheduling topic section. that's what its there for.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I don't want to try it today.

It might fall on the list with the TWC only tournament and other small stop gap events. If we did do it then it would be a shorter event like we have done with our team game invitational.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

nice way to say you will not pursuit it (despite popular support) XD you should be a politician.

anyway, fair enough.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Yeah, reading it at first seemed like a huge event, from the qualifiers until the actual event... But i guess that if its a smaller event then i think it will be very enjoyable and with high engagement rate, since only the people available in that weekend will be allowed to play

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

umeu wrote:
gibson wrote:
umeu wrote:
But its not just about the skill in this case, its also about the spirit of participation and competition. View it as the olympics which succesfully manages to combine both aspects and still attract huge amounts of viewers and which is the highest achievement for many athletes despite almost never being the most lucrative.

Its indeed a bit like strong world, which many people liked btw, but without the league character of it, but instead a elimination system.
Its not anything like the Olympics. The player pool of potential players for the Olympics is literally like a billion people. The player pool for this tourney would be like 200. Surely based on this statistical difference you can see why this is not a relevant comparison?

Nah, the comparison remains relevant because not just the best of the best go to the olympics. The best of one country may very well be worse than the number 1000 of another country, and yet he gets to compete because besides skill, there is more at stake than just that. An example is the jamaican bobsled team, and the runner from guinea bissau who went out first round with worst time last olympics, yet he got to compete which was most important. Obviously the olympics are bigger and more prestigious, but that was not the point. Its a real example of why your previous post, though understandable, is not always relevant.

Seems that the point has gone over your head, although I guess it's my fault for not fleshing it out enough. While there are of course a few exceptions, just about everyone who competes in the Olympics is in the top 0.1% of the sport they compete in, due to the massive player base. While there is often a fairly large skill gap, its not anywhere near as big as ryan or raphael playing some random 1st lt. Also, these larger skill gap competitions are never watched except by people of the countries who are participating. Not relevant here, cause outside of the Brazilian and Chinese community no one really gives a shit about nationalities. Long story short, people would much rather watch a pr 35 play a pr 35 than a pr 25 play a pr 35 with the pr 25 being from X country. It's really that simple.

In any case, im not going to try to convince you, but imo thats sufficient refutation of your argument. You can take it or leave it.
Are you really this fucking arrogant or are you just an ass?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

look at who's talking and how you are talking. you are saying nobody is interested, yet more people have said they like the idea than not, and many of them are not from brazil or china. so who is being fucking arrogant here?

also the point didnt go over me. and you cant compare that skill gap with 1st lt vs ryan. nor can you compare a pro athlete to ryan which you just did but didnt seem to care about

also, the reason i said take it or leave it is because im not really interested in changing your mind lol. you said your piece about why you dislike it. thats fine. you can make your argument and vote no. i made my argument and voted yes. the aim of this thread was just to poll interest in the idea, not really discuss all its pros and cons, which i know exist, and i know many of them have merit. still doesnt change a thing, if people think its fun and are interested, then thats all that really matters.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Thought it was a fun idea- "I liked it"- can I represent kekistan?
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

It's a good idea! Ignore the haters and follow your dreams, umeu!
c0ns!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

umeu wrote:Nah, the comparison remains relevant because not just the best of the best go to the olympics. The best of one country may very well be worse than the number 1000 of another country, and yet he gets to compete because besides skill, there is more at stake than just that. An example is the jamaican bobsled team, and the runner from guinea bissau who went out first round with worst time last olympics, yet he got to compete which was most important. Obviously the olympics are bigger and more prestigious, but that was not the point. Its a real example of why your previous post, though understandable, is not always relevant.

A big difference I see here is that with the suggested format you would exclude some of the best players from countries like France, Germany, United Kingdom or United States, whereas in the Olympics you always have the very best represented, no matter where they come from — it's more about the 10th best from one country that can be better than the best from another country not being able to qualify, but it's not such a big deal. It would matter a lot in such a small community of ours. The way you could work on that is perhaps taking into account previous tournament achievements from each state and then distribute qualification places accordingly — just like in the football Champions League, where spots are provided based on the countries' past results. From Poland only masters can get into the 2nd round of elimination, whereas from England 3 teams qualify directly to group stages — to illustrate.

umeu wrote:[...] yet more people have said they like the idea than not, and many of them are not from brazil or china.

I would say it has received a rather mixed reception, and would look at arguments rather than popular vote. Some people may just support it because they want any ESOC event being organised.