Why people use smurf accounts?

No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Why people use smurf accounts?

Post by thebritish »

Hello ESOCians :flowers:

Nowadays most people use smurf account. Even corporals or sergeants have 2 or even 3 accounts.
My number one reason as to why i would want to use more than 1 account is to have a 1vs1 account and a team account.

Most people say they use lower level account to play people like 10 PR below them, so they can use the so called "troll" strats and be able to win. Its good that they want to win, but winning vs someone 10 PR below you isnt fun. :hmm:
Playing people of your own level and doing troll strats is better. Yes, you might lose and your rank will decrease, but once you understand how to gain advantage with the "troll" strat you are trying to do, you will be able to win vs people that you were losing to with the strat you were using before when you were losing to them. :biggrin: Atleast thats my opinion on smurf accounts. :chinese:

Do you guys/girls have smurf accounts and why did you create them? What was your motive when you created them and for what do you use them now? :?:
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Re: Why people use smurf accounts?

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

I just couldn't find a game. I have like 6 all at different levels, but due to my timezone it's hard to find a game, especially treaty.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Nice thread, I created a acc just a few secs ago. Well, I didn't buy this to troll anyone... Having a backup is always good, There isn't much reason to have a smurf tbh. I know a guy who has separate accounts for supremacy and treaty. Nobody trolls 24/7 with an acc. :maniac:
oranges.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

What's fun and not fun is entirely subjective.
Also sometimes you have to smurf since you can't find a game on your level.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

my troll account is aizamk
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I never really use my smurfs anymore, but the main reason I created them was so I could play quick search more casually or test new stuff without really caring whether I win or lose. It's also annoying when people avoid you in the game browser or even in quick search when you're online and a smurf helps against those sorts of people.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

thebritish wrote:Nowadays most people use smurf account.
really? make a poll pls
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

P i k i l i c wrote:
really? make a poll pls

???

also btw, people use smurf accounts because they just want to be forgotten or to be anonymous so his opponent will not figure out what will the smurf player do etc, and some people thinks it provides fun when you play your games anonymously.
Switzerland glorious_
Dragoon
ESO: Revan

Post by glorious_ »

deleted_user wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:
really? make a poll pls

???

also btw, people use smurf accounts because they just want to be forgotten or to be anonymous so his opponent will not figure out what will the smurf player do etc, and some people thinks it provides fun when you play your games anonymously.

Its pretty hard to change the gamestyle tbh. People recognize it very fast. Still I agree with you.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Mitoe wrote:I never really use my smurfs anymore, but the main reason I created them was so I could play quick search more casually or test new stuff without really caring whether I win or lose. It's also annoying when people avoid you in the game browser or even in quick search when you're online and a smurf helps against those sorts of people.

This is a very good reason. I think people underestimate it. You see when you play on your "main" there is always pressure to do your best because you want a better rank. When you are on a smurf there is no pressure. You can mess up or win as many times as you want. There is much more breathing space. Having a smurf and to test stuff when not under pressure means you can think about what and why you are doing even more. I believe you can improve a bit more by doing this.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Mitoe wrote:I never really use my smurfs anymore, but the main reason I created them was so I could play quick search more casually or test new stuff without really caring whether I win or lose. It's also annoying when people avoid you in the game browser or even in quick search when you're online and a smurf helps against those sorts of people.

This is a very good reason. I think people underestimate it. You see when you play on your "main" there is always pressure to do your best because you want a better rank. When you are on a smurf there is no pressure. You can mess up or win as many times as you want. There is much more breathing space. Having a smurf and to test stuff when not under pressure means you can think about what and why you are doing even more. I believe you can improve a bit more by doing this.

I used to want a smurf account, but I don't want to spend my money on it, so I told myself to don't care about Elo or PR, so i'm testing civilizations and strategys on my main account xD
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

There is a question I always had about shared accounts...What happens if you try to log into an account which someone else is already logged into?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

they get kicked off eso, and it says they got disconnected.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

@NekoBerk pm me an acc name and a pw for it i will do for u
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Maybe it's just a way to reset your stats ?

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

People call my main account a smurf, so I have to play real smurfs. Easier to find games that way.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

thebritish wrote:Most people say they use lower level account to play people like 10 PR below them, so they can use the so called "troll" strats and be able to win. Its good that they want to win, but winning vs someone 10 PR below you isnt fun. :hmm:

With a troll strat it is :chinese:
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

I only use my smurf for multiplayer testing of things related to ESOC patch, etc.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

cuz:

no skillz -> ego = 0
ego + win = 1
new ego = 1
No Flag pl0xmaster
Crossbow

Post by pl0xmaster »

I've been playing this game from 2010 mostly through gameranger and voobly. Some months ago bought the game on steam and I'm playing through eso now. I've never experienced the salt and flame this game has, coming from toxic games like lol or csgo. I can't understand the importance people put in the ranks in this game, which is dead competitively speaking and has no competitive scene or E-sports. Like, I usually play treaty games which are hard to fill with 6 or 8 players and the amount of inbreds who just leave because: "LUL SMURF" or "unfair teams". I introduced AoE to some friends and we barely can play together because they have high winrate being low rank (70%+- at lvl 9-10). With gameranger or voobly I remember getting a game set up in a few minutes while here sometimes we are waiting in the lobby for 20 min. Either that or we are arranging the games wrongly, we host the games within the exploration tab. I see there is a queue but never found a game there and I dont know if its only for rush games.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's difficult to understand the importance in ranks when your rank is shit
No Flag pl0xmaster
Crossbow

Post by pl0xmaster »

deleted_user wrote:It's difficult to understand the importance in ranks when your rank is shit

The problem is that I can't play with my friends because they always kick me, or viceversa when my level is good for the hosts, for my friends its not ok. It feels autistic because this game is dead competitevely, and has low player base so why make it harder to just play the game.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Sorry that was intentionally toxic sarcasm to mimic csgo or league.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

above 1st luit no 1 really cares because everyone knows each other anyway so i get kick
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Post by Gear_Head »

pl0xmaster wrote:I've been playing this game from 2010 mostly through gameranger and voobly. Some months ago bought the game on steam and I'm playing through eso now. I've never experienced the salt and flame this game has, coming from toxic games like lol or csgo. I can't understand the importance people put in the ranks in this game, which is dead competitively speaking and has no competitive scene or E-sports. Like, I usually play treaty games which are hard to fill with 6 or 8 players and the amount of inbreds who just leave because: "LUL SMURF" or "unfair teams". I introduced AoE to some friends and we barely can play together because they have high winrate being low rank (70%+- at lvl 9-10). With gameranger or voobly I remember getting a game set up in a few minutes while here sometimes we are waiting in the lobby for 20 min. Either that or we are arranging the games wrongly, we host the games within the exploration tab. I see there is a queue but never found a game there and I dont know if its only for rush games.

Ideally you'd all want to find your "actual rank" as quickly as possible so you can find games at your skill level. I'm assuming your complaint is you are getting kicked because you are (allegedly) a lower PR than your skill should imply. In that case, I recommend hosting your own lobby until you've achieved a rank that is satisfactory to most hosts (in treaty, I usually see MS/2nd Lieut getting the most games on a regular basis...however, there are alot of players from PR13-20 running around).

All that said, if one is legitimately PR14 and joins a lobby with all PR20+ players, you can't expect them all to be generous enough to take the chance of booming for 40 mins only to have a 3 minute fight because somebody on one of the teams couldn't hang. In Supremacy I'd imagine it's a little different since the games are much shorter, but treaty games are indeed a commitment. Some of us treaty players only have time for one game in a day, and we'd really like it if it happened to be a competitive one.

I regularly kick lower ranked players from my lobbies. It's nothing personal - I just want a good game. Some respond by re-joining and flaming over and over again until they get pested. Some are friendlier and even ask for advice on how to be able to play with us next time. I've given tips and played with lower ranked people who were friendly and showed a willingness to learn, but I've not once given a single care to the noob who spouts 1,000 expletives after getting kicked from my lobby. Attitude is everything. :smile: