How many civs one should master?

Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

How many civs one should master?

Post by Mameluke »

Hey, I decided to master 3 civs (Iroquois, Japan, Ottomans).

1. Question: Are 3 civs too much to master? Should I focus only on 2?
2. Question: Are those 3 which Ive chosen a good choice (in combination) or should i change it?

thanks for your help :)
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Re: How many civs one should master?

Post by Rikikipu »

Hey,
If you want to perform, focus on one civ until you get captain, and then try new civs.
You will learn with all civs, each one got specifities so your choice isn't bad. However, that may be more easy to start with "standard balanced civs" like france, brit, even india if you like asian and then go for civs that are a bit one sided
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

And: Starting and Iro and Otto might be a problem as many don't accept these matchups. I have started with Otto and there's another negative effect: You don't get the habit of (constantly) producing vils. France is a nice choice.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon

Post by Mameluke »

Theodore wrote:And: Starting and Iro and Otto might be a problem as many don't accept these matchups. I have started with Otto and there's another negative effect: You don't get the habit of (constantly) producing vils. France is a nice choice.

I am an Ottoman I HAVE TO pick them just kidding :grin:
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon

Post by Mameluke »

thank you for your tips again
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

ilovesquats wrote:Hey, I decided to master 3 civs (Iroquois, Japan, Ottomans).

1. Question: Are 3 civs too much to master? Should I focus only on 2?
2. Question: Are those 3 which Ive chosen a good choice (in combination) or should i change it?

thanks for your help :)

If you want to do well in tournaments (they are played on ESOC patch), play other civilizations because these 3 civilizations were nerfed and are situational on EP. If you want to play RE qs - good choice.

Otto and Iro are both agressive civilizations that require skills in taking map control, early pressure, timings. Japan is very defensive and requires skills in surviving, managing all 3 resources at the same time, walling. Play what you like, good luck!
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I would go for euro civs only. Probably try Brits, french and germans. They are three of the strongest and more adaptable civs in the game, and also some of the simplest. Also, once you know them, all of the other euro civs come very naturally.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Just play civs you enjoy
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

Jerom wrote:Just play civs you enjoy

+1 get better by havin fun...
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

don't do dutch, kids...
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

The esoc tournament finals are usually bo9
So you need at least 5 civs
(And it's better to know some asian civs: if rapha can play asian civs he may have 3 champions)
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon

Post by Mameluke »

fei123456 wrote:The esoc tournament finals are usually bo9
(And it's better to know some asian civs: if rapha can play asian civs he may have 3 champions)

i wont make it to the finals with my skill lvl so its enough to know as much civs as a bo3 or 5 needs :P but i will keep that in mind for the future
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

fei123456 wrote:The esoc tournament finals are usually bo9

LOL
if Kaiser could play competitive in tournaments and not constantly fuck about everything he would have won the last tourney.. get over it servers sometimes lag its not always ur oponent.. he has same lag as u do
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

NEED MORE XP
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

I think playing what you like is important, but I would also focus on playing civs that teach you the mechanics of the game and that can give you skills that are transferable to other civs.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

Darwin_ wrote:I think playing what you like is important, but I would also focus on playing civs that teach you the mechanics of the game and that can give you skills that are transferable to other civs.

mechanics is a very little part of aoe though.. being clever and able to adapt is as important probably.. so game experience is nice to have aswell.. best is to watch hazza54321's stream

NEED MORE XP
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

sebnan12 wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:I think playing what you like is important, but I would also focus on playing civs that teach you the mechanics of the game and that can give you skills that are transferable to other civs.

mechanics is a very little part of aoe though.. being clever and able to adapt is as important probably.. so game experience is nice to have aswell.. best is to watch hazza54321's stream

Adapting is a game mechanic in my mind.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

Darwin_ wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:

Adapting is a game mechanic in my mind.
ah im sorry than i just thought u mean raw mechanics

NEED MORE XP
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

sebnan12 wrote:

You joking or
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well when people say you don't really need to have mechanics to be good at aoe they're assuming that you have a base level of mechanical skill......a base that I'm lower than unfortunately
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

Hazza54321 wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:

You joking or
im ur friend why would i? people can joke about u aslong as they want fact is 2 years ago i was 2 pr higher.. now ur up 7

NEED MORE XP
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

all civs
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

Hazza54321 wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:

You joking or

http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... lent=&ft=1
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Well done, proud of you
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon

Post by Mameluke »

princeofkabul wrote:all civs

I know from other games that mastering all "things" will always end up in not being good enough with each one of them so you have to focus on a few civs to be better with them while you are still decent with the other civs. if there are 2 princeofkabul's and one of them can play all civs well but 3 (or lets say 5) of them better than the others and the other princeofkabul can play all civs at the same level, so the last one is better with all but 3 (or 5) of them. but if you go on a 1v1 now the one who "specializes" on 3 (or 5) civs will beat him.
Maybe in AOE 3 this logic is totally wrong but I dont think so. :geek: