Age of Empires 4?

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: Age of Empires 4?

Post by gamevideo113 »

I totally agree with WickedCossack. MS fears too much to fail a game release so they are sticking to remastered versions, they are taking the "safe route". If AoE4 ever came out i think it would be a disappointment for those who want a completely new game. MS surely prefers to use the old formula again and again until the cow has run out of milk. I would rather have high hopes for the indie projects like Empires Apart where the devs actually listen to the players and are not simply driven by marketing decisions. Some of you instantly rejected it but i think that now is a good time to chime in and let the devs hear what your hopes are for a new AoE game.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

^some 2017 graphics would be a great start :)
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Not sure why you keep arguing that the game has 20 years old graphics
The low poly graphic style was chosen on purpose and it's also gonna require some decent components to run, so i wouldn't really define it "obsolete"

If it does not appeal to your personal taste then i think this is another matter ^_^
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

gamevideo113 wrote:If it does not appeal to your personal taste..

which is (i think) exactly the reason why AoE: O failed, the "comic" graphics and free to play, and honestly, MS should have guessed that this is not what he majority of the AoE community wants..
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

AoEO failed because of this:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016643/Ag ... ne-Radical

The graphics weren't really an issue
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Actually the concept of stilized graphics rather than realistic one is great, especially if combined with pc resource saving.
The problem of AOE is more that models are too small and circularly shaped. To me it is hard to click on single objects and the game in general seems made for big ass screens.
Image Image Image
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:If it does not appeal to your personal taste..

which is (i think) exactly the reason why AoE: O failed, the "comic" graphics and free to play, and honestly, MS should have guessed that this is not what he majority of the AoE community wants..

I agree with this, I'm not a big fan of the "comic" graphics - not sure what else to call them.

I felt the same way when Civilization VI came out, I thought V looked spectacular.
Lancer

gamevideo113 wrote:AoEO failed because of this:
http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016643/Ag ... ne-Radical

The graphics weren't really an issue

could be that the graphics didnt matter, personally idc about graphics(play everything on lowest for performance anyway), but i read a lot of comments from casual gamers that they dont like the looks.

with that link, i definetly agree with the poor business model point, that sure was off-putting.... also, the whole thing is titled Radical Transparency Clearly Works, but it didnt? ... if they are so transparent to the player base giving them heaps of updates and what not, why dont they listen to what the players want in the first place ?
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

With AoEO they tried to combine the nostalgia and pure RTS elements from aoe2 with a modern "facebook style" game that had a persistent town that you could grow and complete quests for.

It could've been huge actually, when I first saw it I thought this either blows up or uhh .... blows up in your face.

They didn't get the mesh right though leaving a lot of people unsatisfied. On launch it was incredibly unfriendly to RTS purists not having a proper PvP mode unless you wanted to play vs someone who had spent $$$. Like most companies even though they eventually fixed that issue the poor communication and length of time taken to get there put many people off.

As to why it didn't hit the casual crowd that it had pandered towards also idk what the issue there was, that's not really my angle so I can't say why they didn't pick it up.

The graphics didn't particularly enthuse me to begin with (like most people I'm sure) but like a few others have said that wasn't honestly a factor (or at least a BIG factor, it could be argued it didn't help.)
Mexico Kikematamitos
Musketeer
ESO: Kikematamitos

Post by Kikematamitos »

NekoBerk wrote:
Snuden wrote:Make the explorers name "Donald Trump"

+ The Wall expansion, adding different types of walls with different colors, sizes, cost + Mexico will be a playable civ aside USA

phpBB [video]
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Kikematamitos wrote:
NekoBerk wrote:
Snuden wrote:Make the explorers name "Donald Trump"

+ The Wall expansion, adding different types of walls with different colors, sizes, cost + Mexico will be a playable civ aside USA

phpBB [video]

F you Kike, die

User was warned for this post.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Lancer

ERMARGERD ERMAERGED AWMYWAGARDASDASD HALF-LIFE 3 AOE4 CUNFURMED
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Lol that bait is really powerful, i bet that these "exciting news" are just gonna be a letdown from MS, like a remaster or something like that.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I bet it's just gonna be more news about Age of EDE
Lancer

pecelot wrote:I bet it's just gonna be more news about Age of EDE

you mean the Age of Empires Dont Care Edition because its just another lazy remake to generate a few easy made dollars instead of a decent new Triple A AoE 4 ?
United States of America RiiSEN
Crossbow

Post by RiiSEN »

To the aforementioned graphics post, I love the cartoony style of aoeo for one thing: timelessness. While other aoe games quickly show their age compared to today's hardware melting games, the cartoony styles make the game still feel crisp.

As well, the style allows the content creators the ability to make very different looking units that are easy to tell apart and remember. As a game design point I think it hits the nail on the head with what some AOE games lacked, visual diversity.