Does a player have his limit?

Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Re: Does a player have his limit?

Post by Googol »

Warno wrote:I feel like game knowledge trumps all... then would come the mechanics, apm...etc.

Knowing what to do with Civ A vs Civ B and at what time is critical considering the high amount of matchups.
At my level if I knew what to do in matchups I would be better and I feel that is the hardest thing to learn. Unfortunately it is the thing that is most time consuming as well.

Yeah i agree, this game is definitely mostly about knowledge and knowing what to do in certain matchups. Also having a good and stable macro is crucial.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Googol wrote:
Warno wrote:I feel like game knowledge trumps all... then would come the mechanics, apm...etc.

Knowing what to do with Civ A vs Civ B and at what time is critical considering the high amount of matchups.
At my level if I knew what to do in matchups I would be better and I feel that is the hardest thing to learn. Unfortunately it is the thing that is most time consuming as well.

Yeah i agree, this game is definitely mostly about knowledge and knowing what to do in certain matchups. Also having a good and stable macro is crucial.

of course but eventually you will reach your limit. Its like in sports at a certain point you wont improve anymore if you lack the talent.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

lordraphael wrote:
Googol wrote:

of course but eventually you will reach your limit. Its like in sports at a certain point you wont improve anymore if you lack the talent.

Hmm i guess youre right.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

lordraphael wrote:
Googol wrote:

Meh, I wouldnt say you cant improve anymore at all. Your learning curve is just getting smaller, where you get to a point at which improvements are hard to notice.
r]
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

The main problem chinese girls dont fall in love if you are pro in AOE3. So you arent well motivated.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

lordraphael wrote:
Googol wrote:

Don't agree with the sports analogy, I would say you can always improve skills in sports. There is more of a genetic ceiling when it comes to sport, I don't think the same applies for AoE3.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Not sure I agree with this - game knowledge is obviously super important, but it doesn't matter if you have poor execution. Knowing what's coming doesn't help much if you don't have the mechanics to respond.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

the same genetic ceiling applies to aoe aswell. What is necessary for fast and precise clicking ? A steady hand fast reaction time and probably a few more things that im not aware of. All those things are predetermined by geneteics ( your talent).
You can train to get better but ultimately you will always be hold back by your talent/ genetics. If you have shaky hands (extreme example some1 with parkinson plays the game,
i know you arent born with it but still) you will never be able to reach a certain skill ( that skill Im talking about is pretty arbitrary and theoretical as no one has actually defined certain skill levels for gaming/ aoe 3 ).
So just stop telling players that they can improve infinitly, for example im probably at a point where i dont improve anymore ( mechanical). I can merely try to maintain my skill, and thats already hard. However I can still expand my game knowledge.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@lordraphael As you said the ceiling is very hard to define, yet for such a combination of skills. Practice and you'll improve, don't and it decays. The beauty is in not knowing the top.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

ofc there is a limit...there is a limit in football, a limit in chess, a limit in singing, a limit in memorizing things and also in aoe...whoever says there is no limit he didnt think thoroughly about it
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

At some point you reach a skill level that is barely maintained while practising a lot. But I do think colonel should be doable for a lot of people, if not all, if you practise enough. I play a lot of guitat and I dont think Im particulary talented at it, but Ive practised a lot consistently and in a very critical and thoughtful fashion, Ive played and polished evrry tiny bit of some mechanically hard songs for years, and the level slowly crawls forward. I feel like we shouldnt underrate practise. How real is the limit? Will anyone here ever reach that limit? I am willing to doubt it.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Limits are never reached; you can only approach them.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

And I think the experience factor is something that doesn't get rusty easily. Id be willing to say that h2o nowadays has a much better ability to judge situations than he used to have, but that he used to be much more refined longer ago. I myself as a player have a strong reliance on a relatively large amount of experience at captain+ level (about 7 years now), but I don't play at all enough to improve mechanically and I hardly improve strategically. Yet I've been getting better for years now, slowly, by just having more experience and a better ability to judge fights.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Googol wrote:I think there is a way for sure how to improve your mechanics and apm, give some of your time to aimbooster and try to spam much as you can from the start during your aoe games, then focus on making fast clicks which really do something, the idea is to get fast with the spam then lower it down with the precision and speed stays the same. aimbooster will help with the transition to precision.

LOL my cousin said the exact same thing before he shot up the school
Top quality poster.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

APM spam is so useless
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Kaiserklein wrote:APM spam is so useless

How is it useless? If it helps you to keep yourself in rhythm, it's definitely fine to do. It's just annoying when people who do apm spamming think that they are the shit.
r]
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

How many times you click or press hotkeys is useless. How many times you click or press hotkey for real use matters. I guess he meant that.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Dsy wrote:How many times you click or press hotkeys is useless. How many times you click or press hotkey for real use matters. I guess he meant that.

Thats the definition of apm spam, but as I said before, it doesnt have to absolutely useless.
r]
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Gichtenlord wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:APM spam is so useless

How is it useless? If it helps you to keep yourself in rhythm, it's definitely fine to do. It's just annoying when people who do apm spamming think that they are the shit.

Spamming apm for the sake of spamming it is useless. Some people think that clicking their explo 30 times helps etc, but what really helps is to train your accuracy, your micro macro etc, as in useful apm
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Gichtenlord wrote:
Dsy wrote:How many times you click or press hotkeys is useless. How many times you click or press hotkey for real use matters. I guess he meant that.

Thats the definition of apm spam, but as I said before, it doesnt have to absolutely useless.

Its absolutely useless. Thats in the definition. Use clicks for useful things=useful. Use clicks for nothing=useless.
However you can still play decent if you click in the air 100times. The moves are useless.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Some people argue that APM spamming helps them be more reactive
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Its maybe true if you want to fall asleep and you try to stay awake that way (no coffee at home). Otherwise it decrease it.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Just look skt t1 faker replays. You will see all of his clicks are for porpuse (if you understand it ofc). You can see him apm for nothing if he trolling only. But thats for fun, not for be usefull. But fun can be useful so you can be even right in the end.:D
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Gichtenlord wrote: It's just annoying when people who do apm spamming think that they are the shit.

My APM is so OP I can retask my explorer waypoints multiple times faster than anyone, get on my lvl.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

This is a difficult topic to explain imo, since everyone has its unique style of play and everyone sees it his own way.