How to get better

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Re: How to get better

Post by macacoalbino »

Kiting is the act of attacking and retreating with units that have superior range, so that the enemy never gets a chance to shoot back.

Snaring effect is the slow motion movement caused by a meelee attack. Its usually done when you want to force a good fight for your side and not let enemy units escape.

Turkey iamturk
Pro Player
EWT
ESO: iamturk

Post by iamturk »

Dostum öncelikle hangi haritada nasıl oynaman gerektiğini bilmelisin. Örneğin Age 2 mi oynamalısın yoksa Age 3 Timing push mu? Her mapta aynı oyun stilini yapıyorsan hatalarını anlayamamanın sebebi bu olabilir. Yani kafanda oluşturduğun strateji map e ve ülkene uygun değilse o stratejiyi yapılabilecek en iyi şekilde yapsan bile rakibi yenemeyebilirsin. Portekiz 1v1 de kötü ülke bu arada. High plains atp dışında bence çok zayıf.
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

@iamturk Please keep public posts to English if you can, and use private messages to send non-English messages. Thanks :smile:
duck
:mds:
imo
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

VeniVediVici goes really in-depth in his solo commentaries on YouTube. He has recorded game play of really high leveled players. Hope that helps
De Funk
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

_H2O wrote:
deleted_user wrote:What a gross oversimplification. Macro? Micro? Army positioning? In-game adaptation and decision making? All the small things which can snowball into a sizeable advantage?

Jerom is not gonna change his point of view! :). I agree with all of what you said.

At the PR 24 level playing port mechanics are going to hold you back from short term gains for sure. Meaning you could just go Otto and not learn and become a major.

Well, even if you're right, my comment is great advice. It's the mindset you need to have, after every loss you have to think critically of how to get ahead strategically next time. If you're using control groups and get macro down, which you will eventually just get down after playing a lot, you can beat at least majors and better. If I'm not being coached, I play tons of civs barely at major level, if mitoe's telling me what build order to do I can beat colonels. Strategy is huge, and yes mechanics and stuff they matter but those can't really be learned as actively. So even if those things matter, my advice is still the best imo.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Jerom wrote:
_H2O wrote:
deleted_user wrote:What a gross oversimplification. Macro? Micro? Army positioning? In-game adaptation and decision making? All the small things which can snowball into a sizeable advantage?

Jerom is not gonna change his point of view! :). I agree with all of what you said.

At the PR 24 level playing port mechanics are going to hold you back from short term gains for sure. Meaning you could just go Otto and not learn and become a major.

Well, even if you're right, my comment is great advice. It's the mindset you need to have, after every loss you have to think critically of how to get ahead strategically next time. If you're using control groups and get macro down, which you will eventually just get down after playing a lot, you can beat at least majors and better. If I'm not being coached, I play tons of civs barely at major level, if mitoe's telling me what build order to do I can beat colonels. Strategy is huge, and yes mechanics and stuff they matter but those can't really be learned as actively. So even if those things matter, my advice is still the best imo.

You sound like the basement now lol
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

fei123456 wrote:And imo port should play either age 2 or age 4, skipping fortress age.
Reason:
If you wanna take map control, just play age 2. At least you're fast, and with tc mm you can hold the outside tc.
If you dont wanna take map control, age 4 factory/jinete goon/heavy cannons are important for you.
Port dont have good units in age 3, nor do they have good eco.

I doubt if he can hold pressure till he get jinetes out. Going to Age IV is costly and then getting Royal Guard ups is even more expensive.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Thanks for the answers everyone!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Jerom wrote:
_H2O wrote:

See when I'm not being coached I can play most civs at a major level and when Mitoe tells me what build order to do I can still only play most civs at a major level.

I suppose we each have anectodotal evidence pointing towards different conclusions.

I mean build orders are very important but telling me the correct card order will not magically shoot me up 7 PR.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Its funny cuz when mitoe gets coached by h2o he plays like major too!
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

funny how people are mistaking build order as a strat.
and if you want to be good, you're not doing builds blindly, you'll play your build according to what your opponent is doing. there are minor windows when you might need to tweak your build.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah that's sort of my point. A captain and a colonel can send the same cards and macro well and micro decently but there is obviously more to the game than that.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well that's still build orders. Look at someone like somppu, he has atrocious apm honestly but he's tactically very strong and thus actually a very good player.

In the end my point is that if you're losing games you're doing build order things wrong, unless you're floating thousands of resources or walking your army into your opponent's army without attacking (but that's too obvious for the OP to be asking this question). If you master all the strategic aspects of the game, you'll always be doing the right build order with the right timings and stuff and when you're doing that theres actually very little decisionmaking left. If you know your build order with lead to some sort of unstoppable timing push or if you know exactly what you need to do to stop a timing push from your opponent or exactly how greedy you can be then you're going to compete with the very best of the best. Even if you just look at tournament level games you see the majority of the mistakes are of strategical nature, because macro is easy and attack move is sufficient micro. So if you're looking to improve, you need to be aware that build orders win you games up to any level. If you're wondering why you're not better, it's because you're unaware that you're doing poor build orders. At least, that holds true if you're stuck at pr24.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

well that's pretty much how mitoe plays so im not surprised why jerom has gotten the wrong idea. when you play vs creative players your standard build which you decided to go since 1 min mark don't be surprised to get rekt.

i remember ryan saying something like this many years back. "a colonel can keep up with a maj gen as long as the build lasts, after that a smart player will take it from there when the guy who relies on the build is out of ideas" maybe he can rephrase this better but the idea is the same basically. @_H2O
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@momuuu Ye okay so when you said "build order" you really meant "every strategic aspect of aoe3" now your original statement makes more sense.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

princeofkabul wrote:well that's pretty much how mitoe plays so im not surprised why jerom has gotten the wrong idea. when you play vs creative players your standard build which you decided to go since 1 min mark don't be surprised to get rekt.

i remember ryan saying something like this many years back. "a colonel can keep up with a maj gen as long as the build lasts, after that a smart player will take it from there when the guy who relies on the build is out of ideas" maybe he can rephrase this better but the idea is the same basically. @_H2O

You can have the idea of adaptive build orders. I think people that played me a lot know I'm a very adaptive player actually, but that the ideas behind adaptation can be settled and preplanned too. For example when I play Dutch vs France (probably the mu I am best at) I know exactly how I will respond to any sort of build order the French player does, and the responses are mapped out in such fashion that I can always scout what France is doing before I make key deviations in my build order. Still going fully by a set strategic plan, a plan that you can tell to someone and then someone can play that match up well.

Like Day9 once said (to give him some authority, former Broodwar pro player), strategy happens in between games, not during games.

deleted_user wrote:@momuuu Ye okay so when you said "build order" you really meant "every strategic aspect of aoe3" now your original statement makes more sense.

Ok I guess my idea of build order is closer to what I described above. I mean, it's still sorta a build order just an adaptive build order.
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

I didn't think this question needed a new thread, so I'll bump this one because it's related.

In general, is it better to branch out into multiple civs to get better, or stick with one until you are really good at it? I have been playing almost exclusively as French for a while now and I feel like I'm pretty good at it (relative to my overall skill level). I'm wondering whether it would be better to try another civ or two to get better quicker - thoughts?
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

Timba wrote:I didn't think this question needed a new thread, so I'll bump this one because it's related.

In general, is it better to branch out into multiple civs to get better, or stick with one until you are really good at it? I have been playing almost exclusively as French for a while now and I feel like I'm pretty good at it (relative to my overall skill level). I'm wondering whether it would be better to try another civ or two to get better quicker - thoughts?

i was told that you should play one civ until you get about captain with it.
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Itd say main a civ and try to go in depth in its build orders while superficially playing other civs to get a feel for what kind of stuff they can do. You can also sorta main 2-3 civs, that seems fine too.

Although Id recommend to just have fun.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Jerom wrote:Itd say main a civ and try to go in depth in its build orders while superficially playing other civs to get a feel for what kind of stuff they can do. You can also sorta main 2-3 civs, that seems fine too.

Although Id recommend to just have fun.

Yeah I agree, use few civs competitively untill you get all the mechanics right then you can start switching.
I usually play 3 civs mainly and mess around with some others when I feel like chilling.
In my old hard practice days I would pick 1 civ and stick to it for good. Dunno what the high level players usually do though...