Smurf Tournament

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Smurf Tournament

Post by deleted_user »

This is just a weird idea I had and as someone who is behind the scenes of running tournaments it's probably too difficult to pull off but what do you think?

A tournament where no one knows the other players. No one. Potentially random seeding. New ESO accounts are made and handed out to sign ups (limited - ppl going to try to just gain a new acc) and new ESOC accs are made for scheduling. While we're at it, random map pool? Random seeding? Idk. I think it'd be fun having no idea who you are playing and guessing who might be who as a viewer. Or maybe tourney admins know who is who and decides which games to stream, but they could purposefully stream a noob vs a noob or something to throw people off. Could have a lot of fun with this.

Players might be incentivized to play uncharacteristically in earlier rounds to hide their identity. Decks can't be too close to their main acc's decks. Civ picking is crucial: can't give your identity away so quickly!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: Smurf Tournament

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Sounds kind of fun actually. Maybe we could get into contact with someone with the ESO account glitch, so we can create the accounts for free. Sharing the accounts with the players would have to be heavily regulated though, leaks would be detrimental to the tournament.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Sounds kind of fun actually. Maybe we could get into contact with someone with the ESO account glitch, so we can create the accounts for free. Sharing the accounts with the players would have to be heavily regulated though, leaks would be detrimental to the tournament.

What is this so called, ESO glitch?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Let's try to reproduce the ESO account glitch instead. <3
Pay more attention to detail.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

No need to create new accounts. Many player have extra ones.
I have 2 accounts (3 if "couprider" is counted). H2O has 5. Wuziqi has 20+ :smile:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

InsectPoison wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Sounds kind of fun actually. Maybe we could get into contact with someone with the ESO account glitch, so we can create the accounts for free. Sharing the accounts with the players would have to be heavily regulated though, leaks would be detrimental to the tournament.

What is this so called, ESO glitch?

Some players have bugged CD keys by accident which allows them to create infinite accounts. I tried playing around in the registry and game files a bit and I haven't been able to reproduce this bug, but it'd be very useful for something like this.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

The amount of players in this tournament should be limited then. Making many smurfs is bad for the game. I mean, nobody likes it to be smurfed... and that will increase even more. Though if you sign up for a smurf tournament you have no choice. This could work with like 16 players or something from all skill levels.

You can also set up a "guess system" or something where people can guess the real player. The person who guessed most right, wins a price.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

i could organize the accs and i love the idea.. its hard to do in real cause alot players would still know who is who :/.. but i would definitely help
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

There are ways of getting free accounts. We could crowd source a bit. I mean I have 3 accounts I've never played on, maybe others have some too. The point would be not to use old smurfs but create actual new ones so that no one knows who is who. Would creating 16 or 32 smurfs be a detriment to ESO though? It is already not difficult to get new accounts I think we all know this. We could also name the new accounts something like ESOCSmurf1, ESOCSmurf2, ESOCSmurf3... (easily identifiable in the wild) and after the tourney identities could be released and theyd function less like an actual smurf account.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

well i could just do it for everyone in 3-4 mins and its done..
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

NEED MORE XP
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dang that'd be a huge obstacle easily crossed then. I'm liking this idea more and more TBH.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

Great idea now we need someone to reassemble this :biggrin:
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

yea pls organize this xD
i would love to see a bracket at the end with the real names xD

NEED MORE XP
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

What about tracking IP and VPN? I think that's a huge disadvantage.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

lol if people want to know it that hard they will always find out.. lets just aply on the honest.. btw how can u track ip

NEED MORE XP
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

And what about people actually smurfing? I mean the border for it would be non-existent, as the event would inherently be about anonymity, creating a chance for thuggees to play on numerous accounts. No point in bringing exact names, but I'm certain some of us remember threatening from a particular henchman about using such measures in actual tournaments. :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

You mean people playing multiple accounts? How would you smurf a smurf tourney?
No Flag cblack
Musketeer

Post by cblack »

deleted_user wrote:You mean people playing multiple accounts? How would you smurf a smurf tourney?

Would be easy to get around. ESO can distribute the login and password, and make similar rules such as someone must have an account here on the website for a month + in order to register for the tournament.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Imo esoc either limits sign ups to x amount or extends invites to x people. ESOC makes both new ESO and ESOC accounts and distributes that information to the players. From there the only concern is having one person play on multiple tourney accounts...
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

maybe something like u get pm of ur intoruney game login like half an hour before every game from a tourney admin and u get a new id every round
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I meant that IMO it would be easier for others to smurf in such a tournament as unpredicted outcome, upset or surprise would not really bother anyone in such settings — which is exactly what smurfs normally aim for.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

This is a pretty cool idea. Finally be able to make use of my _h20 account.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Which is why there'd be no incentive to smurf. Players smurf to knock out top players early. If no one knows who anyone is and seeding is randomized then what's the point? It's impossible to smurf in this tournament unless you play multiple accounts but again what's the point?
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Making multiple accounts is stupid imo because you can get matched up with yourself :P
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

deleted_user wrote:Which is why there'd be no incentive to smurf. Players smurf to knock out top players early. If no one knows who anyone is and seeding is randomized then what's the point? It's impossible to smurf in this tournament unless you play multiple accounts but again what's the point?
Because as I understood it the tournament admins were supposed to choose who plays, not randomly choose. If someone makes a new account on ESOC (or rather using an already active ESOC smurf) they could pretend (to the tournament admins) to be a noob while not being one. This could technically ruin a series set up by the tournament admins who are expecting it to be a noob-mirror. Although there might not be more incentive to smurf in this tournament than any other tournament, the consequences of having smurfs will be more detrimental to the spirit of the tournament.
Pay more attention to detail.