Smurf Tournament

Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Re: Smurf Tournament

Post by aligator92 »

Just invite 16 people and give each of them their anonymous account. Obviously one staff member would know who each player is. Then make a random bracket and play the tourny over one weekend BO3. Maybe BO5 in finals. Would be a lot of fun. Goodspeed can host a player guessing event.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

aligator92 wrote:Just invite 16 people and give each of them their anonymous account. Obviously one staff member would know who each player is. Then make a random bracket and play the tourny over one weekend BO3. Maybe BO5 in finals. Would be a lot of fun. Goodspeed can host a player guessing event.

lol
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Tournament admins would have to know who is who I think just for everything to work (they are barred from participating though) - then - either if it is an invitational or an open sign up, the admins create new ESOC accounts that correlate with each players ESO smurf name and PM the member's main accounts the details to the new accounts. The new accounts should be used only for scheduling and only for tournament play on ESO.

There's a bit of an initial work load but mongo said he could get the ESO accounts in a few mins (I suggest we call them ESOCSmurf1, ESOCSmurf2, etc...) and then someone can make the same number of ESOC forum accounts with the same names (ESOCSmurf1, ESOCSmurf2, etc...) in not too long then the login info will have to be distributed to the players' main forum accounts.

Otherwise, randomized seeding. I don't care if pr 40 plays pr 40 in first round or if we see two noobs in semi finals. That's what makes it unique and players will have no idea who they are playing and casters and viewers will have no idea who they are watching.

The largest struggle with this format is being able to cast the interesting games without making it obvious.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

My point was that with any attempt to make it sort of competitive or giving a small prize pool you get the incentive for people to try their dirty shenanigans with smurfing — like having multiple accounts that would promote one winner from them. I'm aware it's pretty much unavoidable, even in usual settings, though that's the concern that came to my mind initially. Other than that, aligator's idea sounds neat.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

You could use Voobly or Gameranger to do this one without needing to create new ESO accounts.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

kami_ryu wrote:You could use Voobly or Gameranger to do this one without needing to create new ESO accounts.
Wow. It's baffling how none of us thought of that.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah it could work but those platforms kind of suck, no? Laggier, even. Also GR shows player location in their profile.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It probably shows the location you choose when creating the account. Not your current location. I don't see why it would be laggier.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Id love an associated betting event. Watching unknown noob a play and then judging if hes better tham the other noob that won that other series.

Or like, that player won the previous round, he played pretty well but was it jerom well (deceptively bad) or lordraphael well (actually good) and can he play player B who also sorta played well but could be say eaglemut or maybe like goodspeed (ofc VC gives this away).

That being said, this community is too shitty to be trusted with sth like this.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I'd love to see people trying to throw people off by impersonating others. Imagine someone building a single arbitrary wall segment between their Town Center and bank and writing "Dutch need a buff" in chat. 10/10 entertainment.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Jerom wrote:That being said, this community is too shitty to be trusted with sth like this.

No :( don't say such a thing. This has the potential to be one of the most entertaining events we've hosted. I would hope people could not lame ip address finders or play on multiple accounts...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Easy way to avoid people entering twice. Have a tournament admin assign accounts to people who have signed up.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

deleted_user wrote:
Jerom wrote:That being said, im a big pessimist

No :( don't say such a thing. This has the potential to be one of the most entertaining events we've hosted. I would hope people could not lame ip address finders or play on multiple accounts...

Jerom got his grammar wrong I fixed it for less confusion.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Should make it qs style. Random maps or atleast blind civs. You can still only play a civ once (before reset) but you pick without knowing the other players civ
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Gendarme wrote:It probably shows the location you choose when creating the account. Not your current location

Yes but it shows your current local time no matter what location you chose.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

If only we could make our own ESO... :hmm:
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

@pecelot @momuuu I don't get the trust/smurf problem. How can someone play on multiple accounts if the staff distributes the accounts between the competitors?

I think this event should be one weekend only. So if you sign up you guarantee to be available the whole weekend. When sign ups are done a program randomly chooses 16 players who each get an anonymous account from the admins. (shitty for the rest but this should be a short event with little scheduling) You could even tell everyone when they have to play their games, so you wouldnt even need ESOC accounts.
As far as map and civ rules go, I like Umeu's idea of using a quicksearch format were we randomly select a map and players have to blind pick their civs beforehand. This is questionable because it will shrink the civ pool to like Aztec, India, Russia, Dutch, Japan, French, Sioux, maybe Brit
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

So then I just give my smurf account password to mitoe and he plays for me and wins stuff. Its a smaller step than giving away my real account.

I actually just think people will tell which account they are and spoil shit in chat to ruin shit. Recall when kynesie games were being cast and people knew tje result and started spoiling it in chat. Im not a pessimist, I just remember the past accurately.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

It is a smaller step, but not that much smaller. A lot of people already have access to each other's accounts. This is not much of a bigger issue than in any other tournament - especially since there is no money on the line.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

aligator92 wrote:@pecelot @momuuu I don't get the trust/smurf problem. How can someone play on multiple accounts if the staff distributes the accounts between the competitors?

Jerom wrote:So then I just give my smurf account password to mitoe and he plays for me and wins stuff. Its a smaller step than giving away my real account.

This exactly — it could be done just like in a regular event, but like I said, it would be way less suspicious.

aligator92 wrote:As far as map and civ rules go, I like Umeu's idea of using a quicksearch format were we randomly select a map and players have to blind pick their civs beforehand. This is questionable because it will shrink the civ pool to like Aztec, India, Russia, Dutch, Japan, French, Sioux, maybe Brit

We could actually use EP QS for it, since no one uses it anyways and we wouldn't be disturbed at all :kinggreen:
Alternatively, we could do this in QS on a slightly modded version of the EP that would be released via the beta channel shortly prior to the event in order not to get matched with other random players.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

its impossible to do on gr or voibly sind names can be multiple used and everyone can change its name as much as he wants to
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

sebnan12 wrote:its impossible to do on gr or voibly sind names can be multiple used and everyone can change its name as much as he wants to
Accounts have unique IDs on GameRanger.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Gendarme wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:its impossible to do on gr or voibly sind names can be multiple used and everyone can change its name as much as he wants to
Accounts have unique IDs on GameRanger.

Accounts have unique IDs on Voobly too
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

But voobly and gameranger are both atrocious so let's stick to ESO