Are there any matchups you've never seen in your life?

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Are there any matchups you've never seen in your life?

Post by Kaiserklein »

Hidddy_ wrote:Sum from 1 to 14 is easiest :P that's a nice equation you found there, how'd you see that?

If you pick a civ A, it will have 14 different match ups. Then pick another one B, it will have only 13 different match ups left, because one was already counted (A vs B). And so on, until you reach 0, so the sum is 14 + 13 + ... + 1. And the sum from 1 to n is equal to n(n+1)/2 (can be easily proven by induction reasoning or w/e it's called in english), so in this case 14*15/2 = 105, or 13*14/2 = 91 if you don't count the mirrors.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

_H2O wrote:find unique pairings of 14 items =

(n * (n-1))) / 2 = 14 * 13 / 2 = 91. Then add back in the mirrors, 91+14 = 105.

If you could both sides then its 91*2 + 14 = 14* 14 = 196?

When u're doing both sides u would subtract 14 from 196 to account for mirrors only being counted once
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:Sum from 1 to 14 is easiest :P that's a nice equation you found there, how'd you see that?

If you pick a civ A, it will have 14 different match ups. Then pick another one B, it will have only 13 different match ups left, because one was already counted (A vs B). And so on, until you reach 0, so the sum is 14 + 13 + ... + 1. And the sum from 1 to n is equal to n(n+1)/2 (can be easily proven by induction reasoning or w/e it's called in english), so in this case 14*15/2 = 105, or 13*14/2 = 91 if you don't count the mirrors.

Yeah this is the correct version of my post lol.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

rsy wrote:

When u're doing both sides u would subtract 14 from 196 to account for mirrors only being counted once

196 is the correct number for doing both sides.

Check the grid on the front page 14x14, it doesn't count mirrors twice.

Each civ has 14 unique MU's, x 14 civs.
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Gendarme wrote:
rsy wrote:

Spain vs Brit and Brit vs Spain are not two different matchups. You cannot simply do 14^2.
Brit's Pov and Spain's Pov
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

_H2O wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:

Yeah this is the correct version of my post lol.

You guys did it 2 different ways but both are good yea
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@DaRkNiTe1698 I see now that I misunderstood rsy's post. I deleted my post.
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Kaiserklein wrote:

Thanks for the explanation and all, and yes the term you're looking for is induction. But I was referring to h2o's equation 91*2 + 14 = 14* 14 = 196? :P
De Funk
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Hidddy_ wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:

Thanks for the explanation and all, and yes the term you're looking for is induction. But I was referring to h2o's equation 91*2 + 14 = 14* 14 = 196? :P

< ,> mean less than/greater than or equal to here

Assign each civ a number between 1 and 14. 14x14 is the number of ordered pairs (x, y) you can have with 1 < x, y < 14. But each matchup that is not a mirror is represented at two ordered pairs, (x, y) and (y, x). To calculate the total number of matchups subtract 14 from 196, and divide the result by 2 to get 91, because each matchup is represented twice. Now add back the 14 mirrors and you get 105. The equation we did is (196-14)/2 = 91, and if you rearrange this you get h2o's equation.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I think the question about rarest matchups would've been more interesting before EP. Since RE is more unbalanced some matchups were so broken that they would almost never be played.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Hidddy_ wrote:Thanks for the explanation and all, and yes the term you're looking for is induction. But I was referring to h2o's equation 91*2 + 14 = 14* 14 = 196? :P

Ah ok. Well then, he just took the amount of non-mirror match ups (that we calculated to be 91), multiplied it by 2 because there's 2 sides for those match ups, and then added the amount of mirror match ups (14). So it's 91*2 + 14 = 196. But that's also equal to 14*14, because that's the amount of pairs you can do with integers from 1 to 14.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Gotcha, thanks both. I was a bit lost as to where that little equation came from since it had such relevant numbers
De Funk