Game developers

United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Game developers

Post by cedarfarms »

Ive been wondering if some of the game characteristics were planned and fully intended to be apart of the game for balance reasons or just kind of happened by chance.
What i mean is, like with longbows or war wagons, was it planned to give longbows that shitty animation and war wagons that slow clumpy movement style as a way to make the units less effective or thats just the way it turned out.
Also, did they purposely not give villagers a melee command to try to make the game more micro intensive.
Lastly, the annoying orphi box and alt d, were these planned little tricks or just glitches?
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Re: Game developers

Post by Mameluke »

I am also missing the villager melee mode would be handy in quite many situations. No clue why those things are how they are.
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

I'm almost certain all of the things you listed were unplanned and not considered beforehand. Some of them, like the orpi box and Alt+D, I'd guess no one at Ensemble Studios even knew about when it existed.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

orphi/orpi box? Whats that?

edit: google is my friend, got it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkojAozCGk
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

You can easily change the animation speed so I think they must have known about that. Alt d was probably discovered at some point but in early stages there are other more cumbersome bugs to fix.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

musketeer925 wrote:... and Alt+D, ...

alt + d is totally a game feature, it says on the back of my aoe3 box "ey yo also uR Xplora can come back from teh dead if u smesh alt De lelZ xXx420 BlazE iTxXx 360 no scoPe bitcheZ"
United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

Its just kind of crazy to think that if these things were planned and executed for balance or other reasons. Its an impressive amount of fore thought, really shows the type of thinking that would need to be involved in setting this a game like this up.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I don't think any of the things you listed were deliberate. But at the end of the day, developers can't anticipate everything that might go wrong. Given its complexity, I'm surprised the game doesn't have more bugs/cumbersome features
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Not exactly about the OP, but may be useful. Many of the features mentioned above were most likely not planned, as others already said, as it was probably difficult for developers to foresee all of those consequences (vide: balance in general :hmm:).

http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_ ... mpires_III
Age of Empires III

Many terrains that could be seen in pre-release screenshots were changed or removed.
At one point European random maps were planned, but were removed to focus on the Americas.
The Trireme and Fortress from Age of Mythology were going to appear as Easter eggs.
The Musketeer originally has 4 visual upgrades in total but the first upgrade is unused in the game.
The Dutch and the Germans originally had the Musketeer. Musketeer's unused game file voices for the Dutch and Germans still exist in the scenario editor and game files.
The Musketeer wasn't available to the Russians.
Spahis were originally planned for the Ottomans instead of Hussars, but this was changed.
Gatling Guns were planned, but were removed, they were trained at the Factory.
Fusiliers were planned, they were a unique Musketeer for the Swedes, and is their only known unique feature.
Architect units were planned for the Italians, as a unique Settler but they were cut.
The Heavy Cannon was originally trained at the Arsenal, whilst the Gatling Guns were trained at the Factory.
The Heavy Cavalry was a generic Cavalry most likely trained in the Fortress Age that wielded a Musket, and had a bonus versus Infantry. The Italian Elmeti, and Spanish Lancer, were unique versions of this unit.
The Germans, and Dutch originally had a unique shared Dragoon called the Reiter, which would've been one of one many Neo-Medieval units planned.
A Steam Ship (possibly an early Ironclad) was planned, most likely as a Transport Ship.
A SPC hero called "Neamaltha" was cut.
There was another Infantry-type unit called the Swordsman, which was available to the Italians, Russians, Germans, Ottomans, and Spanish.
ES planned for the Discovery Age to include Knights and the aforementioned Swordsmen (along with Crossbowmen and Pikemen being in this age instead of the Colonial Age), but this was changed.
A ranged infantry Mongolian mercenary was planned.
The Colony Ship was planned, it's function was unknown.
Watch Towers were set to reappear again, this time being an AoE3 version of the AoK Outpost.
The Swedes were cut, not much remains, however it was Sandy Peterson who shed light on them.
There was a Zweihander unit planned, most likely intended to be unique German Swordsmen, the assets were reused for the Boneguard's Swordsmen, Landsknecht, and Doppelsoldner.
The Zweihander also became a technology used to improve the Doppelsoldner later in development before it was cut.
Originally there were Special Resources that would (depending on their type) appear, these included: Cotton, Tobbaco, Sugar Cane, and Spice.

Italy

Originally Italy was planned to appear as one of the civilizations.
Elmeti were planned to be their Heavy Cavalry unit, replacing the generic unnamed Heavy Cavalry.
Their Home City was Florence.
The Italians units were mostly "Medieval" compared to other civilizations, much like the Ottomans.
They had general "Cannon" units instead of Falconets, and Mortars, these would later become the Li'l Bombard in The Warchiefs.
They most likely would've used Hoop Throwers, instead of Grenadiers.
They had unique Crossbowmen called Genoese Crossbowmen, a similar unit would feature under the same civilization in Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten.
They had a Mounted Crossbowman, which functioned as being a mix between the Cavalry Archers and Dragoons.

Technologies
Numerous technologies were removed or replaced by Home City Cards.
Many Home City technologies were planned to be available in the retail version of the game, but were cut.