Improve by playing fast

Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Improve by playing fast

Post by Mameluke »

Do you think it helps to get better in this game when youre playing on "fast" game speed? I mean would it help more than playing on normal speed?
I think mostly it helps in macroing.
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Improve by playing fast

Post by Gendarme »

No. Almost everyone's APM is already insufficient from Colonial Age throughout the rest of the game at normal speed. Why would you gain from making your APM even more insufficient?
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yes, i can help you get the macro right, i used to practice strats at fast speed if i knew exactly what i was going to do, like some ff or rush. but its not really going to make a huge difference. it just maybe makes you a bit more focused, or maybe its just a placebo, that you feel like if you can handle fast, you can handle normal speed np.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I worry it might mess up your internal clock. Like that feeling of knowing when things will happen. Probably not worth the risk
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

What about playing on slow game speed? Wouldn't it will help you practice playing with lag?
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

_H2O wrote:I worry it might mess up your internal clock. Like that feeling of knowing when things will happen. Probably not worth the risk

It never did for me. The increase is not big enough i think, and its consistent across the game and all commands, so unlike lag, it wont throw your clock off as much because the proportions remain the same. Its easy to adjust back and forth. Maybe if youd only play fast for a long time it would happen, but i even doubt that
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

It's nice to test how fast you can play, but I don't really see much benefit in doing it. Maybe only as a good warmup, since once you get into the high apm mood, it tends to stay that way for a while, even when the game's not on fast mode. At least it's that way for me.

Also, if your connection to your opponent isn't great then it's not really fast mode, more like medium-fast.
oranges.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Aizamk wrote:It's nice to test how fast you can play, but I don't really see much benefit in doing it. Maybe only as a good warmup, since once you get into the high apm mood, it tends to stay that way for a while, even when the game's not on fast mode. At least it's that way for me.

Also, if your connection to your opponent isn't great then it's not really fast mode, more like medium-fast.

For Kaiser it might be slow speed, maybe even normal?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

I would consider playing on fast speed if i want to improve my APM.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I wouldn't say it helps much. What does help you improve is trying to play faster than you think necessary, to the point where you feel silly for spamming keys all the time. Actively try to optimize every process with hotkeys. You will find that there is always something to do and the faster you do things the more you can do.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

In strategy and decision making, imo it wont help at all, but if your problem is lack of apm, I would go for it... you have to move fast and are forced to use hotkeys in fast mode, so imo its a decent way to practice to get apm.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

AOE3 has a bigger resource cap in the early stages of the game so spamming production keys won't be useful anyway.
Fast mode is only a good way to train yourself if you do lack in the speed department. Otherwise it's just better to practice the right order of your macro cycle over and over at normal speed.
Image Image Image
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I have found that I tend to be crisp after I switch games. Going from AoC to SC2 or even AOE3, my apm feels fast and smooth.

I think there is merit to playing an actual different game if you want apm. You have to mix it up which helps with basic mouse and keyboard skills.

That said aoc macro is stupidly hard in the early game.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

The other thing is that on fast you cannot keep up easily. So the list of mental priorities that you have is different. Just not a fan overall.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

The problem with it if the game faster you react slower which totally ruin timings, builds overall gameplay. Even micro is harder to make, and some say thats the point. However it basicly ruins it. Connon play i guess is just totally different in fast speed than normal. Units die everywhere cause of the autoaggro and stuffs.
Id say playing fast is something like make an 1v1 game to ffa. You gain no experience.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

What you say is not true at all. its not like its 3x the speed. its only 1.5. It's totally possible to execute basic build orders flawlessly on fast speed up to 10 minutes. what h2o says is right, your priorities change, as you can focus only on those things which are absolutely necessary, the bare basics of the game so to speak. I dont think its necessary to play on fast speed, and you probably won't really get anything lasting out of it, but it can help you focus getting down that bo ingrained in case you ever are playing a more hectic game, and it can help loosen those apm monsters of fingers. its overall not very helpful i guess, but to say it will ruin your capacity to play on normal speed is just ridiculous.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Why play on fast speed when you can play on regular speed, record it, and speed up the recording later?!?
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

deleted_user wrote:Why play on fast speed when you can play on regular speed, record it, and speed up the recording later?!?

you and your sarcasm :dry:
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

/r/KenM