Glory of Losing matches in AoE 3

Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow
ESO: Phibrain

Glory of Losing matches in AoE 3

Post by Magna Phi »

Hello

In AoE 3 sometimes the way one loses matches make one say '' fuck it, I'm out'', however momentarily. I suspect it has something to do with civilisation and map disadvantages ( japan and India ) ... and yet we always return. Ready to play another match.

Do you ever feel like just chucking AoE 3 back from whence it came?

Please entertain the question.

- Marshal Phi, part time strelet and Conquistador.
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Re: Glory of Loosing matches in AoE 3

Post by Asateo »

When I get trashed by otto.
What where they thinking with that civ. Iro, at least you still need to have some skill.

Anyway, still playing.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

No.
Scotland grip_of_lron
Crossbow
ESO: I'll tell u later

Post by grip_of_lron »

1 lose = 1 ragequit for a week
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

When the game becomes a set of algorithms, you no longer enjoy the game itself, but the fact that you are good at executing these algorithms. When you lose, there is no longer any amazement or question of why you lost - just a feeling of frustration because your performance wasn't on par with what it should have been. After enough time without novelty, any game is reduced to a set of algorithms. This is one of the reasons noob-bashing can be so much fun. It lets you dick around with sub-optimal strategies, letting you forget those pesky algorithms for a short while and enjoy life - but dicking around has its limits too; it doesn't produce infinite novelty.

New patches and maps do not just serve to improve balance, but to bring novelty to the game as well (although possibly unintentionally) - not to mention scenarios and complete mods. (P.S. I think Interjection is onto something big with his new RTTM.)

In World of Warcraft novelty has constantly been introduced since its inception to keep the game alive and interesting, but unfortunately and somewhat paradoxically at the cost of killing the game - however, they might not have had much of a choice. Novelty is not just about new content because after enough time people develop algorithms to explore new content - the mechanics of the game need to change as well. This is easy to experience when playing the Arkham series (Asylum, City, Knight). Objectively Arkham City and Arkham Knight are richer games, but since the first game you play is Arkham Asylum - that is the game that will leave the most positive impression. In the case of the Arkham series, the developers sacrificed novelty to keep the game great - although shortlived. However, this is not the case of World of Warcraft.

This is largely how I see the evolution of World of Warcraft:

- Classic (Vanilla): An absolutely fantastic game except for its lack of balance. This game was all about exploration and character development together with other players in a world of endless and ruthless combat - you and your character were one.

- The Burning Crusade (1st expansion): Still a great game with an ever increasing popularity. Third-party plugins and websites to get shortcuts and not having to explore on your own (quest helpers) were created - a huge but inevitable blow to one of the greatest experiences the game had to offer. Free flying was implemented in the new high level zones introduced in the expansion. Although the introduction of flying was absolutely breathtaking, it was ultimately a huge blow to PvP.

- The Wrath of the Lich King (2nd expansion): Not a bad game by any means, although its popularity had come to a halt. Quest helpers were implemented into the game itself, bringing the joy of questing to an end. Mounts became acquirable at the levels 20 and 40, down from levels 40 and 60. The acquisitions of mounts used to be the biggest milestones during levelling - something that has turned into a chore. Levelling alternate characters became much easier, probably because questing had become nothing but a pain. A quicksearch for dungeons (Dungeon Finder) was implemented - automatically matching you with 4 other people and teleporting you to the dungeon. The Dungeon Finder completely killed the social aspect of the game, making it the single worst thing to be brought to the game so far. According to many, this expansion was the pinnacle of the story of Warcraft; some say Warcraft died with Arthas.

- Cataclysm (3rd expansion): The game rapidly decreased in popularity over the course of this expansion. The whole world was revamped and old quests were replaced with new ones (perhaps this was the only positive thing this expansion offered, although it destroyed a lot of beautiful nostalgia by revamping the zones). They tried to bring back the social aspect of the game by giving you small perks for being in guilds with other people - to no avail. The Dungeon Journal was implemented, meaning that you no longer had to fight a boss through trial and error, but could access the journal for that boss with the press of a button. Free flying became available absolutely everywhere. PvP became a joke since the acquisition of the best PvP items required no skill and became a matter of grinding for a few weeks. Endgame PvE was killed with the introduction of the Raid Finder (Dungeon Finder for raids) and the Raid Journal (Dungeon Journal for raids).

- Mists of Pandaria (4th expansion): The popularity kept decreasing at the same pace. The popularity of this game at the end of this expansion had reached the same level it was at the beginning of The Burning Crusade. I did not play this expansion, so I do not have much to say.

- Warlords of Draenor (5th expansion): The game was extremely hyped through the twist in the Warcraft story, bringing several dead characters back to life. The game saw a quick rise in popularity at the moment of the release of this expansion due to the hype, but shortly after the rapid decline continued and Blizzard decided to stop reporting user statistics. I did not play this expansion, but the biggest critique I have heard was the introduction of Garrisons, which apparently is something like a home where your character goes to do stuff on its own (Pokémon, anyone?).

- Legion (6th and current expansion): No info.

This post became much more extensive than I had first envisioned, and posting it in a thread that died two hours after its inception is grievous, but this thread is what gave rise to this post and thus deserves it.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm generally an all around happier individual during prolonged absences (read: 7+ days) from the game but that's a character flaw not the game's fault.

During periods of high activity there is simply less joy in winning and more frustration in losing and nothing in between which makes for an overall unpleasant experience. During periods coming back from inactivity there is at first joy in satisfying AoE3's itch and the reintroduction of all its depth but soon enough frustration sets in at deteriorated mechanical ability, deteriorated intuition, and other aspects of the game momentarily lost. If I stick passed that it cycles back around to the competitive phase of high activity unenjoyment. I love the game and the people who play the game but I've found I'm increasingly more content playing less and less. I took a month to go full try-hard to prove to myself I wasn't always shit and now there's not much left for me. At this point only pure boredom brings me back.

The concept of an RTS in general greatly interests me as I imagine it greatly interests most everyone on this forum and I think that's why most of us eventually return to this game - AoE3 as an RTS is quite unlike any other on the market. There will always be this itch that only Age3 can sate.
Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow

Post by Magna Phi »

Gendarme wrote:This post became much more extensive than I had first envisioned, and posting it in a thread that died two hours after its inception is grievous, but this thread is what gave rise to this post and thus deserves it.

The part about this thread dying was hilarious. I almost spilled tea on my screen, although it is true( sadly) . How long did you take to type that ? but thank you for engaging. AoE 3's novelty does indeed wear off at times.

I enjoy the game and I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't, but at times I wonder what they were thinking when they made japan and India.
'' Let us make civilisations better than the rest'' , perhaps ?

Anyway to SirCallen. I think it's that one practices strategies and refines them only to lose after so much time invested. Which is not to say that I have.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

The game is certainly still enjoyable for me; I have by no means reached the point where I can play this game anywhere close to competitively. I do not play because it is simply too time consuming.

It actually took me two hours to write that post, it seems. I was tired of studying so I decided to write a post on a sensible topic, and for some reason also decided to share my thoughts on WoW.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Gendarme wrote:The game is certainly still enjoyable for me; I have by no means reached the point where I can play this game anywhere close to competitively. I do not play because it is simply too time consuming.

It actually took me two hours to write that post, it seems. I was tired of studying so I decided to write a post on a sensible topic, and for some reason also decided to share my thoughts on WoW.

what where you studying?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@InsectPoison Something rather uninteresting, but necessary for me right now due to recently emerged opportunities: Oracle Fusion Middleware
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I feel like skill gaps contribute. People who are used to winning all the time will have a harder time handling losses. And on the other end, losing to the same person/people over and over can become frustrating really quickly.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Gendarme wrote:@InsectPoison Something rather uninteresting, but necessary for me right now due to recently emerged opportunities: Oracle Fusion Middleware

Well whatever that is, good luck with it.
Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow

Post by Magna Phi »

dicktator_ wrote:I feel like skill gaps contribute. People who are used to winning all the time will have a harder time handling losses. And on the other end, losing to the same person/people over and over can become frustrating really quickly.

Ain't that the truth.
No Flag Zhanson10
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Zhanson10 »

Why is it that everyone always spells "lose" as "loose"? Rofl
Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow

Post by Magna Phi »

Zhanson10 wrote:Why is it that everyone always spells "lose" as "loose"? Rofl

It was an error rather than a conscious spelling of the word. It should be ''lose'' . I cannot change it now...

ohh wait I can !
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Magna Phi not that magna, huh
Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow

Post by Magna Phi »

pecelot wrote:Magna Phi not that magna, huh

truly my enemies are many...

But great news people. You can find my YouTube channel with AoE 3 content that has been said by 10/0 critics to be enthralling ! by searching in YouTube : Marshal Phi. There are two videos available, both AoE 3 matches ! You will see Mighty Spain and Unbreakable Russia.

- Marshal Phi, part-time strelet and conquistador
Zimbabwe Magna Phi
Crossbow

Post by Magna Phi »

P.S strelet wages are shit.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Magna Phi wrote:P.S strelet wages are shit.

@Hazza54321
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Gendarme wrote:This is largely how I see the evolution of World of Warcraft

WoW is a game where you do not enjoy the process but enjoy the result. This is why it becomes less and less popular. WoW is 300% more fun if you play it with a friend or many friends.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Re: Glory of Losing matches in AoE 3

Post by lordraphael »

nothing is more frustrating than losing to aizamk
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I dont lose so I wouldnt know enough to answer the question
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

gibson wrote:I dont lose so I wouldnt know enough to answer the question

Pr 50 plus 5
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

anyone has the ip tracking thing?
id love to have it aswell :/
ill trade for 5 accs ^^
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP