Noob Champion

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Noob Champion

Post by kami_ryu »

Opening this thread so that I may try to get something fun and very light going. It's a very simple idea so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for anyone involved. I have not talked to this about anyone and randomly thought of it at work today. So this may become a thing, or it may just become something we forget about in a few days. We'll see!

What:

The idea is very simple. There is a noob champion. Champion of the people, hero of the scrubs, etc.

For the purpose of this on-going event, the noob champion remains champion, so long as they are able to defend their title. On a regular basis, the champion must face a challenger. Defeating the challenger means that noob champion defends their title and they remain champ. If the challenger wins, the title goes to the challenger and they become the new reigning champ (hey, I said it was simple).

Whom:

You can kind of see where this is going. There will only ever be one match scheduled and the reigning champ will always play in it. Challengers are anyone and everyone. Since we only get a single challenger at a time, I will choose who that challenger is out of a pool of volunteers. Most likely, I will try to choose a challenger who is as closely matched as possible to the champion. Also possible is that if several people volunteer regularly, they may get a spot reserved for them (a waiting list of sorts).

This is on-going. There is no winning this event.

Wherein:

All matches will be streamed on my personal channel, at least at first. If this becomes a thing and I find that I am able to commit to this, then maybe things will be expanded a little bit. e.g. people fighting for the challenger spot, or it goes to ESOCTV stream, or perhaps even a small prize if a champion defends their title a certain amount of times. We'll see. I want to start something as simple as possible first.

Match format:

Now, the format of the match itself. This is where we get a twist which, hopefully is fun.

This is not a Best of X. You win the match by winning three consecutive games against your opponent. If the opponent is well matched, that is a fairly tall order. Anyway, as long as neither player loses three games in a row, the match continues. This means that a match can be finished in three games but it also means that it could technically never end. I doubt that will happen, eventually one player will tire out, I feel. I also think that a series getting drawn out would be fun and cool to watch.

Civilization rules:
- ESOC patch, most current version.
- Players may not use a civilization which they have played in the past 14 games.
- Loser picks map first.
- Winner picks civilization first.
- Lose picks their civilization after winner.

Map pool:
- maps.php

Anything else?

Ideally we get a co-caster to help me. Ideally I'm able to commit to this and hopefully give something back to the community which has been absolutely lovely. As for matches and when they will happen, ideally I can get a set schedule but what is more likely is that I will bump this thread with a date & time for a match. If you would like to volunteer to play or co-cast, you can post in this thread, send me a PM, contact me on ESO or discord. I will try to schedule things before they happen so that matches do not take place on short notice. We'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I work Saturdays. Also if a match is prolonged then what may happen is that we pause it and pick it up for another day.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Reigning Noob Champion: QueenOfDestiny

Looking for next challenger: ~PR22 to PR26

Next time of proposed match: TBD
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Noob Champion

Post by kami_ryu »

reserved.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

kami_ryu wrote:reserved.

for who???
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

But...what about the king of trashcans from 2nd Chance then? Butifle will just be an "in-between-sort-of?"- King then
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I don't know. A champion is a champion, a king is a king.

InsectPoison wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:reserved.

for who???

I believe you mean to say "for whom???"

I'm just teasing. I want to put names and stuff there. Or other way around. I just want to be able to use the second post of this thread.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

All hail king of the losers
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Is it the new saturday smackdown?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'll play someone if someone wants to play me
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

deleted_user wrote:I'll play someone if someone wants to play me

dude sounds good I'll try to find you an opponent

edit: seems @Googol may have time for a show match. maybe we can kick this off today?!

All right @deleted_user4 and @Googol make a great first match-up for this. If it's just the three of us I'm sure we can schedule something easily. Is Sunday the 13th between 16:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT all right? It's prime time and weekend. Good viewership possible and you guys get time to prepare. Match format is in OP.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

yes.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

kami_ryu wrote:
I need two closely matched volunteers to both be challengers to kick this off. If you volunteer for this event, please commit to it. If you are the reigning champion, please make sure that you are able to play out every challenge. I will try to be as accommodating as possible.

SirI'mGonnaQuitTomorrow will surely deliver :maniac:
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

Nice idea, thanks for organizing it. Please put me at the bottom of the waiting list as a last resort.
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Looks very cool!
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Really nice idea! I hope this will take off well!
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Its like sc2 fight club. 3 in a row is nice alternative, but might add a rule that after a certain number of games it becomes 2 in a row and then 1. So you dont end up with players getting bored or losing on purpose.

Could also have people donate during stream, and winner gets the purse of that stream. Or the previous one (so the amount is known in advance) however you want to organise it.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Nice idea but I see 2 problems:
1. the champion will quickly be a very skilled player and you won't find suitabe opponents anymore (Suggestion: set a limit, maybe ELO?)
1.1 Suggestion: start with less skilled people than Callen and Butifle
2. 3 wins in a row will easily go to 7+ games which is absurd and we will have a lot of series end in someone just forfeiting because they are tired or just do not have enough time. (Suggestion: make this 2 in a row as soon as the first string of wins is broken. I know you want simple rules :/ )
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

I completely agree with aligator92 here.

Imagine one of the best players becomes champion, then who will be good enough to beat him 3-0 on a row?

Loving this @kami_ryu Nice idea Incog!
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

Nice idea.
Progressively it will however become more high ranking players untill it becomes an all PR50 event.
Why not put a max to it? 3* a win and you get a 'permanent' title (being mentioned in that reserved 2nd post for example :kinggreen: ) and the whole thing starts over.

Just a thought.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

More appropriate title would be King of Kings. Or "who can sit on the Iron Throne".
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Hey everyone, thank you for the feedback. I see the questions raised and I agree with the validity of your points. A few thoughts of my own:

1.1 Suggestion: start with less skilled people than Callen and Butifle

- Well both players have stated they won't be able to make it either way. I need x2 more players. The match will go to the two players whom are most closely matched. I still need x2 volunteers!

- I'm looking to get the first match off on Sunday during prime time (16:00 GMT to 22:00 GMT).

- I can think of several ways to get around a champion whose title defense is impeccable. I could open up a second seat, for "noob vice-champion" or some other ridiculous title. We could also reset the event after x amount of successful defenses (small prize pot goes to champ). In any case, I kind of like the idea that eventually we get to the top players who get to show us how good their mettle is. If no one can dethrone them, then that makes 'em truly the Noob Champ.

We'll see further into the event, first we need to actually get a few matches going. Nothing is set in stone. I'm looking for simplicity rather than complexity (think Strong World back in the day). What's nice is that this time around, I have a pretty decent stream set up and some free time to put into this, if I schedule my life right.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

I volunteer for tribute.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

I volunteer as well ^^
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

I wouldn't mind having a go if you need people.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

this looks fun. when I'm finally stoping with heroin aoe you bring new ideas? I'll keep strong.
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

lemmings121 wrote:this looks fun. when I'm finally stoping with heroin aoe you bring new ideas? I'll keep strong.

Ill say it again, i miss your llama avatar :(