Post by aligator92 »

I would also volunteer if we started at 18 GMT
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Noob Champion

Post by pecelot »

You could make it just like ZeroEmpires did with his Strongest Army challenge for AoE2 — everyone can submit their army composition for the championship. The troops fight with each other, with the winner remaining on the field — after 5 wins in a row the army is honoured with a place in the challenge Hall of Fame. It's explained thoroughly here:
[spoiler=video]
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
[/spoiler]
In your challenge you could make a rule that once someone is unbeaten in, let's say, 10 brawls, they get the Noob Champion title and can't participate in the contest in the next — again, an example — 3 months.

umeu wrote:Could also have people donate during stream, and winner gets the purse of that stream. Or the previous one (so the amount is known in advance) however you want to organise it.

Good idea!
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

If I win lemmings has to get his llama avatar back, if I lost lemmings has to get his llama avatar back
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

If you two want to play that makes things awesome
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:If I win lemmings has to get his llama avatar back, if I lost lemmings has to get his llama avatar back

uhmmmm thats reasonable.

but now you have to play.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

kami_ryu wrote:If you two want to play that makes things awesome

kami vs incog show match? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

lemmings121 wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:If I win lemmings has to get his llama avatar back, if I lost lemmings has to get his llama avatar back

uhmmmm thats reasonable.

but now you have to play.

It's for a good cause now.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

aligator92 wrote:yes bring back the Llama @lemmings121

WHAT? A LLAMA?

phpBB [video]
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

This sounds like a really nice idea @kami_ryu, cool to have some regular event like that going on. I have two remarks though.

First, you call this "noob champion". But I'm a bit confused about the skill range you consider. I mean, the skill of the king is naturally going to climb as the event goes, since the winner stays. It might take long, but at some point you'll find yourself having a way better player than the starting one. So you kind of need to start at a relatively low level.
For example, you have here butifle vs callen as a first match. Let's say they are lt col-ish. Either you purposedly give the winner of this match someone lower to verse, to make sure that the skill level doesn't climb, but that's kinda biased. Or then you just give other pr 30+ people, but at some point it will be a better player winning, and staying, and very fast you can reach top level, where you won't find many players volunteering because of the small player base at this level. Or maybe I'm just overthinking

Then, about the civ rules. If you get players close in skill, it can actually take a ton of time to have 3 games won in a row. For example when I play against Mitoe sometimes, even a series of 10 games, we sometimes never have 3 wins in a row. And having (basically) a civ reset every 3 games means that most people will never have to play civs they're not comfortable with.
Imo, you need to add/change a rule here to make it more unlikely that this issue happens. For example, you can reset civs less often. Those players have similar skill when they play their regular civs, but when you force them to go out of their comfort zone, you change that. First, it means that the player knowing more civs will get the edge, even if they have same skill when they play their main civs. Then, if this doesn't work because both players know the same amount of civs, it still means that at some point (for 99% of the players) they will have to play some civs they really don't know, if the reset is late enough. Then it's not about build orders anymore, but more about adaptation and mechanics. This adds a new dimension and can create the gap you need to have 1 guy winning 3 games in a row. You could reset every 14 games for example, forcing players to play every single civ if they reach that point. Or then another kind of rule idk.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Kaiserklein wrote:Then, about the civ rules. If you get players close in skill, it can actually take a ton of time to have 3 games won in a row. For example when I play against Mitoe sometimes, even a series of 10 games, we sometimes never have 3 wins in a row. And having (basically) a civ reset every 3 games means that most people will never have to play civs they're not comfortable with.
Imo, you need to add/change a rule here to make it more unlikely that this issue happens. For example, you can reset civs less often. Those players have similar skill when they play their regular civs, but when you force them to go out of their comfort zone, you change that. First, it means that the player knowing more civs will get the edge, even if they have same skill when they play their main civs. Then, if this doesn't work because both players know the same amount of civs, it still means that at some point (for 99% of the players) they will have to play some civs they really don't know, if the reset is late enough. Then it's not about build orders anymore, but more about adaptation and mechanics. This adds a new dimension and can create the gap you need to have 1 guy winning 3 games in a row. You could reset every 14 games for example, forcing players to play every single civ if they reach that point. Or then another kind of rule idk.

Mind = blown. I completely agree. The bold part especially. It makes much more sense to force players out of their comfort zone, as you say. Then we create strange, wonky situations where things get mixed up, I really like it. I will edit the rules.

Noob champion is a joke name. However you're entirely right that in the end what will happen is that we get only top players and that this pool of players is very small. As you say, something will have to happen. Probably it will be the end of the event and we just reset. Or we just run a second event and when we have a second "champ-winner" (for lack of a better term) then both players are pit against each other. Or something.

For the time being, that is not my main concern. I need to first make sure that both players and I can commit to this event on a regular basis. We'll see how it pans out. Thank you for the thoughts, really hit the nail on the head there.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I really like the 14-civ reset and that's coming from someone with 1.5 main civs.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

What i like about this idea is that you don't have to commit like for a tournament. If this goes on for months you can simply wait until you don't have work/exams/whatever and then play, in a tournament you have fixed weeks to schedule and if you are busy in those weeks it's gg.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

@lemmings121

@JakeyBoyTH

can u guys confirm sunday 19 or 20gmt? on phone so i think that i mis-tagged you guys
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

You should list a time slot and ask people to sign up and confirm for that specific time slot. That will omit one redundant step from the organization.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

i would also play
shit juice :hmm:
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

I play if its blitztreaty
r]
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

kami_ryu wrote:@lemmings121
@JakeyBoyTH
can u guys confirm sunday 19 or 20gmt? on phone so i think that i mis-tagged you guys

wait what? I didnt say I would play x.x
afaik, its incog vs kami the first game.
-

But what everyone is talking about skill level reaching the top too fast is a problem I would agree, starting with 30+ players means in 3 weeks we will already need a reset because noone wants to chalange diarouga or something like that.

I would suggest starting with 2 players that are 2lt (max pr), and then accept only chalangers up to 1lt, when a 1lt wins, next week the challenger can be up to captain.. this way at least the progression is slower to the top ranks, when you reach some stagnation at 35+, then reset.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

kami_ryu wrote:@lemmings121

@JakeyBoyTH

Can't do that sorry. I should be free saturday GMT though :)
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Thanks for head's up you guys.

So yeah, as Bramboy points out, I'll just put in a time slot.

I'm looking for two players to play, ~19:00 GMT on Sunday (the 13th). Saturday is also possible but that would have to take place at 21:00 GMT.

@QueenOfdestiny if you would like to play, I think that would be great. We need to find someone who is of a similar level.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

kami_ryu wrote:Thanks for head's up you guys.

So yeah, as Bramboy points out, I'll just put in a time slot.

I'm looking for two players to play, ~19:00 GMT on Sunday (the 13th). Saturday is also possible but that would have to take place at 21:00 GMT.

@QueenOfdestiny if you would like to play, I think that would be great. We need to find someone who is of a similar level.

I am similar level dnt b meanie
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

Limit of PR 25 is fine and necessary if it is supposed to be noobish
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

@kami_ryu I can play at 21 GMT on Saturday or 19 GMT on Sunday, so please put me down as a backup.
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Timba wrote:@kami_ryu I can play at 21 GMT on Saturday or 19 GMT on Sunday, so please put me down as a backup.

What is your ESO?

May chance it will be Jakey vs Queen it seems. We'll have to see.
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

kami_ryu wrote:
Timba wrote:@kami_ryu I can play at 21 GMT on Saturday or 19 GMT on Sunday, so please put me down as a backup.

What is your ESO?

May chance it will be Jakey vs Queen it seems. We'll have to see.

Not a problem, that should be a fairer matchup anyway. My ESO is _hi_
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m